Minneapolis Institute of Arts Employee Review

View all Minneapolis Institute of Arts reviews

fun place to work and great for teachers
CLASSROOM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  minneapolis, mnJuly 1, 2014
This job is a 9-5 job for the art classes taught at different age levels at the MIA. A typical day would mean coming in before the class starts and setting up the materials that would be used for that day's lesson. Throughout the day, i would assist the students with their projects and encourage them to expand their creativity. Management is mostly inclusive and new ideas are welcomed. Parking can be tight sometimes but never really a problem. Overall a great place for gaining hands-on experience with kids and art materials

Other Minneapolis Institute of Arts Employee Reviews

Great mission
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 21, 2017
I was very proud to work there. Challenging to keep up with all the change happening at once across all areas of the museum. Senior leadership is doing great work to stay relevant to new audiences and serve the community.
Pros
free parking, 7.5 hour work day
The Minneapolis Institute of Arts - great place to grow.
Manager, Visitor Services Dept. thru June 1988 (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2017
Great training and advancement opportunities when I worked there from 1973 to 1988. I learned a tremendous amount about customer service, office administration, interpersonal skills, employee development, and the essentials of museum practices and philosophy.

Very employee-supportive environment.

As a non-profit organization, however, compensation was not commessurate with community wages. As a result, there was ongoing employee turnover. This disrupted projects and called for ongoing staff training and development. (I believe that compensation parity has improved since I was last employed there in 1988.)
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, excellent levels of work engagament.
Cons
Wages and salaries were lower than cmmty. norms.