Minneapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

Dead End😴
ESP (Current Employee) –  MNApril 14, 2019
No matter how much education or no matter how little education your advancement is not seen.

Overall this particular company works off of who you know not what your skill sets are and if that's the way of the world then we're in a very poor state in this country.

The students by far are not getting anywhere when it comes to values, expertise, and or skill sets.

Ninety percent of the employees do not understood what their job duties are nor don't understand what elevating student achievement mean and have no criteria of professionalism.
Pros
Students
Cons
Slave Mentality
Para
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 7, 2019
Work with age between 6 and 8 grade help with daily school work home work and getting student back on track for a daily school day
mentor personal care
Pros
enjoy work this student
Cons
more daily time with one on one student
Tough getting your feet dirty
Minneapolis Reserve Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 27, 2019
A very very tough job in a very very tough area (north minneapolis). I think it's a good field to prove your ability to work and stay committed to a tough role. Eventual pay raise to $20 as of ordinates of the city, but not the best career.
The kids are great!
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 4, 2019
The politics and competitiveness among staff and Admin is pretty bad at some sites. If you are there for the students and stay focused on them, you will be happy
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Politics
My opinion
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 14, 2019
It wasn't so much that the job was to stressful. It wasn't even the kids for that matter , it was the adults. The way that they handled the everyday day to day was horrible.
Working to be a friendly evening staff has been rewarding.
INTERMITTENT AID AND INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2019
The people that attend the adult communication programs are a diverse group and some of friendliest I have ever met. The other staff that work in the evenings at the school are very knowledgeable,
Pros
The the friendliest staff I've ever known.
Cons
Wish there were more hours available to do this at the school where I am.
Would not recommend this job as career
Head Supervising Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2018
It use to be a good place to work and retire from, I would not recommend making it career job. short of staff and large areas to clean. They need too raise the starting wage for new hires so we
can get good work people.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Short of staff
Large school district, find your niche
BILINGUAL ASSOCIATE EDUCATOR & HOMEBOUND TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 12, 2018
Large school district with many opportunities, but often felt like it favored folks who were already employed or knew a current employee. I enjoyed working with the highly diverse population.
Pros
large district, many opportunities
Cons
benefits for families are expensive!
Mps
Middle School Athletics District Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 26, 2018
I have worked for MPS for 8 years now. I have started as a SEA and worked all the way up to be a Dean of students. I would stay with MPS if pay was good
Pros
helping students, nights and weekends off, Pto
Cons
people lie to get ppl fired, risky when working at a tough school
Supportive and Friendly Staff
Reserve Teacher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 22, 2018
Going to different schools every week I meet a lot of different faculty and 99% have been super friendly and willing to help out with any questions I have.
Pros
Prep hour and lunch break, end shift between 2-4pm
Cons
No health benefits, commute changes every day, early start to the day
Minneapolis
Babysitter (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 18, 2018
Minneapolis is will good school but i dont like people having to do everything about bullies but i am safe person i just dont like the schools. if you like the Minneapolis that good😇
Pros
not free lunch
Cons
sort break
Not Enough Hours for my Position
Associate Educator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 17, 2018
I have worked there as a paraprofessional for two decades. It is hard to keep your seniority if you leave and come back. Was laid off two times. The hours are not enough to work just one job.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun environment, but a little stressful
Citywide Student Government Board (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 15, 2018
Working here on the student government board was informative and helped develop my speaking skills, and the head of the department was really sweet. However, the system was flawed when me and other students were working there, and the board of education did not take us as seriously as they should have.
ever after changing plans
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 12, 2018
Plans continually change so you never know what is being done form one day to the next. Job security is always in the balance. Teachers always come first and custodial staff are last.
Pros
you have a job
Cons
Health care
Demanding work place
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2018
Each school site is different, and a teacher's experience depends greatly upon being at a school that has a supportive administration and team. Typically, the most enjoyable part of the job is the students, and helping them learn and grow.
Overall Summary
Community Resource AE (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2018
This was a great opportunity for me to learn and grow as a person. It taught me a lot about patience, determination and hard work. I loved this because know i know I'm ready to handle any opportunity that presents itself.
Tough Situation
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 2, 2018
It's a public school district, so hard to say. Benefits are good, currently the union is fighting for promised wages that never came to fruition. BDSM.
Pros
good hours
Cons
not getting promised pay.
it was okay.
Teacher's aide (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 30, 2018
I was happy with Minneapolis Public Schools, however I had received a better offer. our team suffered a severe breakdown in moral after our leadership was exposed with embellishment. We received a new leader but it became too contaminated and the team that was in place began to lose strength.
Fair pay, disrespect from employer
Community education assistant (after school) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 25, 2018
I started Working there in October of 2017 and it started great, but soon my employer became disrespectful and rude. She would not answer email, and when she did, they would be the perfect example for passive aggressive. A fellow employee was hired and fired within the same day for reasons that are still unknown to me which made mme and other employees very comfortable.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
No breaks, rude manager, disrespect twords employees
Amazing Food Program
Food Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55411October 18, 2018
The management team really cares about the employees and the students. The food is of high quality, and they see the students as customers that they are trying to entice to take their product for the health and well being of the student. Culinary training each year. ongoing training throughout the year. New kitchens. It was an awesome place to work!
Pros
Management, Quality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minneapolis Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Minneapolis Public Schools Reviews by Location