Minneapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
worst workplace ever
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  variousAugust 6, 2018
Very poor leadership, communication and a low level of professionalism. Felt unsupported with unclear expectations. A culture of looking out for oneself. No room for questioning the "way things are done" or problem solving ideas.
Amazing Teachers!
Adult Education Teacher-GED (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 28, 2018
The teachers in this program are phenomenal. Their passion for serving the underserved is inspiring. The student population is motivated and dedicated.
Pros
great teachers
Cons
lack of $$
Great workplace
Food Service Assistant, Prep cook (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 21, 2018
great work environment, positive and caring staff to interact with children and families. They actually take pride in serving the children. Make them feel right at home.
Pros
free lunches, fun positive work environment
Cons
salary, amount of work in short amount of time
Working part time for a summer camp was a good experience
Summer STEM Academy Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 19, 2018
I worked at Minneapolis Public Schools for a summer as an assistant for their Summer STEM program. It was challenging at times and some days I felt more like a baby sitter, but it was great getting to build relationships with some of the students and staff
Corrupt and bullying administrators
teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 9, 2018
The best things about MPS are the children, their families, and dedicated, talented educators and building staff. But this district has the worst induction process and so many unethical, incompetent school administrators who engage in organized bullying of staff. District mentors meant to support teachers often have little experience teaching subjects they observe, and just abuse the observation criteria (SOEI) to crush new teachers,especially those seeking to change the status quo for the better. Building leadership in the worst schools fails to support teachers and students in any meaningful way. Classrooms are packed, there is no curriculum for some grade levels/subjects, most of the schools are not safe, not kind, not innovative, and many have very low expectations for all students, especially students of color. Despite all this, the majority of educators here are very talented and dedicated, and they find the failure of MPS heartbreaking, because they are working so hard on behalf of students and just trying to support each other. But you can see why charters have been so successful at enticing families away. It's not right that no one has held MPS accountable. Check out the news story about its enrollment director (Jan. 18) who has a side business of his own referring families to charter schools. Just super. Don't start your teaching career here. Don't send your child here.
Pros
great colleagues, great students, great families
Cons
bullying leaders, inadequate resources, low expectations for students
Great
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 8, 2018
There I helped to design and build the 3rd largest wan in a 5 state area. Manage and setup networks for over 110 schools. Manage vendors from Cabling to Microsoft and HP. Troubleshoot on a massive scale printer, server and end users day to day problems.
Meaningful work, fair compensation
Public Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 22, 2018
This is a hard place to work because it's always being criticized by one group or another, but the people I worked with were incredibly dedicated and passionate.
Pros
Meaningful work, good compensation
Cons
Public criticism
Excellent for gaining classroom experience
Associate Educator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 19, 2018
I performed a variety of services for the the second grade classrooms that I worked in, primarily individual and small-group math and literacy tutoring.
Good place to work with the right management
Food Server (Former Employee) –  various sites within Minneapolis Public SchoolsJune 13, 2018
Start my day off by washing my hands before entering the kitchen, putting on my uniform such as my hairnet, or apron, my section was preparing the lunch that was to be served for that day like cutting up the fruit, setting up the buffet line, and just preparing what ever cook needed for that day and cleaning up any dishes that needed to be washed.
Management was always changing at least twice in the last 6 months and by them being new it was kind of hard to get things in order because we both were learning something new. The hardest part of the day is not having enough food to go around and had to scrap or make up a meal for the rest of the students that came through the line. What I like most is greeting and serving the students as they came through the lunch line they always made my day.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Missing lot of days and not getting paid when school is out
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 10, 2018
Minneapolis Public School is a super place to work for
you have to go through the garage before you get to the gravy. I love the seniority first, you get hours. Anything over 8 hours per day is overtime. And we are union. I work many places with nonunion worst place ever. Management blows too much money on everything else but the drivers.
If it wasn't for the DRIVERS they would not have a PAYCHECK.
Pros
Union
Cons
When a driver needs help don't tell them to work it out on their own, . Try to help them that is your job.
Students were fun to see everyday. I loved to see them each morning.
Food Service Manager Kenny Elementary School (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 26, 2018
I learned a lot from the people that had worked for many years in school nutrition. The school staff were helpful and very professional.
The students in each grade level always were fun to to work with. I enjoyed serving them healthy nutritional foods. I got to know many of their parents. I treated their children with love and worked with the special ones to meet their nutritional needs. Students were fun to see everyday. I loved to see them each morning.

A typical day consisted of making sure the kitchen was clean spotless as possible and ready for business, opening up the computer and logging into the main school districts financial terminal, reviewing the days breakfast and lunch menu, reviewing how many meals were to be served, heating food and properly making sure time and temperature were strictly adhered to and served on a neat serving line. After serving the meals , I received orders, and put them up in the appropriate places

I learned a lot about food safety.

Management was innovative and responsible for farm to school nutritional fresh meals purchased from local farmers. They made every effort to give students in the district fresh healthy meals.
An Integrated School District
Substitute Teacher/Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 22, 2018
I enjoyed the District as the most integrated school district in the State of Minnesota. One has the privilege of meeting both students, and staff from every ethnic persuasion
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
Selective Advancement
The managers or teachers were not prepared.
Reserve Teacher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 7, 2018
I work with Level three EBD children it was very challenging.
I did not get any support from my team. I did not feel safe
and the children always tried to harm me.
Poor Management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 7, 2018
Despite highly stressful working conditions, administrators are not supportive. If you ask for help, you will be under watch. This makes for a toxic work environment that is unsustainable.
good place to work
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 7, 2018
A great place to work the children are wonderful.
The children are wonderful. Urban Children with a lot of high needs. Many of the children are homeless and ride taxi cabs to school.
Several of the teachers quit because they were are afraid of the community.
Fast paced, urban district
Instructional Supports Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 5, 2018
The Minneapolis Public Schools is a fast paced, urban district. We have 77 schools across our district and there are many types of schools across the district. The teachers and staff are amazing and dedicated to student success!
Fast paced, urban district office!
Director (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 5, 2018
The elementary eduction department is a wonderful team! The work load and the demands of managing 43 elementary schools is challenging, but invigorating.
Always enjoyed going to work.
Clerical Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 12, 2018
I worked for Minneapolis Public schools for 30 years. I was in a few different schools as we could transfer within the district. I especially enjoyed working in the schools with the students and faculty.
Benefits
Cons
The drive.
It was challenging at times but the good did weigh out the bad.
Special Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2018
At times working with the most challenging students in the district. I learned how to put combative students in restrictive holds. how to work with students hot situations. How to work with every type of student with any disability ages pre-k to 21yrs of age. How to dodge objects that are being thrown at you. How to work with teachers that think they know it all. Work place culture was challenging because it is a female dominated field and a lot of times they were set in there ways. The hardest part was leaving and moving on to the next assignment. I enjoyed the kids the most.
Recommend.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 6, 2018
Great place to work. A plethora of different schools to work at, all great, some more challenging than others. The head of substitute teachers is really on the ball.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minneapolis Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight