Minnesota Autism Center Employee Reviews

Cut throat environment
Behavior Therapist-Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 10, 2018
You can expect that as you climb the ladder you will be seen as a threat and superiors will find ways to prevent advancement. If a supervisor messes up forget about it, it is your fault!
MAC-Behavior Therapist
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 25, 2018
Its very fast-paced and can be very stressful at times. At the same time, its VERY rewarding. Loved the kids I helped while working there. Lots of advancement possible within the company. Overall great place to work.
Like you're in high school
Behavioral Therapist/Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNOctober 23, 2018
Most of the children are a complete joy to work with, other employees like to spread gossip, and management royally sucks. Auqiring time off is hard to do, work is exhausting and stressful, must prepare daily for the possibility of being injured on the job by a client, and people gossip about others all the time just like in high school.
Pros
Working with amazing children
Cons
Short breaks, unappreciated
If you want to waste your education, apply here
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 16, 2018
This place does not reward it's employees for the education they require, nor is it needed for what you will be doing. You are expected to read programs written by the leads and execute them as written. There is no room for error and mistakes interpreting the way things are written are punished with sarcasm and belittling remarks, even though time is limited to read the programs before you have to run them.

While at first everyone appears friendly, it's a dog eat dog world where "friends" will back stab one another to get ahead.

You are asked to volunteer for things that you should be paid and it is frowned upon if you do not-no matter what they say.

The pay is better than you would get at a fast food joint, but it is not on par with positions which require a Bachelors or above.

The work is rewarding as all work where you help others and make a difference can be, but you will endure physical abuse from the kids on a daily basis, all the while being belittled for mistakes by management as described above. You will also experience almost constant contact with body fluids of some sort on a daily basis.
Pros
Helping the kids.making a difference
Cons
Management, pay, physical abuse, belittling, unreasonable expectations
Former Lead Therapist
Lead Therapist (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 11, 2018
I worked at SDC centers in Minnetonka and Eagan. I had some of my best management in Minnetonka. I left due to a need to advance professionally and the standards for promoting Lead Therapists and hiring of Behavior Therapists dropped. The culture changed from independent therapists working together to ensure a smooth working environment, to Lead Therapists and Behavior Therapists not only feeling like they need to be followed and assisted constantly but EXPECTING to be followed and assisted constantly. I encourage new Lead and Behavioral Therapists to step up and take charge of your work and center environment instead of blaming upper management for your incompetencies in your new positions. This is a great job for someone who can work independently and communicate effectively!
Love the clients, not so much of management and underpay you are
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNSeptember 8, 2018
Been with the company for a couple of years and let's just say it's a great way to start your career path, however it is not something as a long term. Program manager shows up late and sits at her desk and plays on her phone along with wedding plans as everyone is running around with their heads cut off then leaves early. No follow through what so ever with staff that are not doing their job. They care more about the quantities of the staff than the quality of staff working with their clients.
Pros
Helping the clients and their families
Cons
Managers (especially the higher ups), no follow through, lack of communication
Great Work-Life Balance; Poor Team Comradery
BEHAVIORAL THERAPIST MENTAL HEALTH PRACTITIONER (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 6, 2018
The kids are amazing. The leadership team is helpful and lead by example. Never have to take your work home with you. The lack of team comradery is the only negative part of the job.
Pros
Mon-Fri 8-5 great work-life balance and the kids are wonderful
Cons
Poor team comradery
Love what I do....just not the pay and lack of appreciation
Lead Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 30, 2018
Been with the company for over 3 years. There is no support and promises of increased compensation never happen. Staff is overworked and extremely underpaid for the work and hours that they do. There is no understanding of what each levels responsibilities are, which causes a lot of issues between therapists and management/supervisors. Lead therapists work 50 plus hours a week and have to take work home due the staffing issues. Behavioral therapists that are hired make more than Lead Therapists and there is no appreciation for any level of employees. With that being said, the main reason that I continue to stay where I am is the difference that is made with these clients and families.
Pros
helping children, helping their families
Cons
Lack of disciplinary follow through, pay, high turn over rate, no transparency
Great experience to get started, but not a lifelong career
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 29, 2018
The work at MAC is difficult, fast paced, and can be extremely stressful. However, even though the clients display many challenging behaviors, they are what kept me at the job for as long as I did. There was no set schedule for the day, you determined the pace you and your client work at, which could be frustrating and confusing when first beginning. Most of the coworkers and supervisors, specifically at the SDC Eagan site, were extremely supportive and willing to help out in difficult situations.
Pros
Working with supportive coworkers; the clients and their progress
Cons
Behaviors are difficult
It was a great place
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 8, 2018
The children really need someone there with a passion for helping children not just to get paid,
They need to train people a little better and not watch threw the glass door it kinda creepy
Fantastic experience, great clients, supportive coworkers and admin team.
Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 25, 2018
I could not be more grateful for all the opportunities I've had with this company. I will always recommend them. The team at my center is fantastic. The admin staff are very approachable and they are always willing to help out. 10 out of 10 would recommend this company.
Productive and supportive work place
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 20, 2018
Everyone there was very helpful and kind with anything and everything you needed from training to unique ideas to help make your day easier with the clients.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
one 15 minute break all day
In-Home therapy not reliable
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 26, 2018
I was hired FT as an in-home therapist. The progress of the children was great. Their families were often the most challenging part of the job. Also families would drop out of the program and my schedule would change frequently. It was not financially feasible to stay.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Reliable hours/income
greAT
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 5, 2018
it was a great job. ya work with clients using aba therapy. then go home. monthly and weekly meetings. 46-40 hours a week. great pot/sick time accruement.
Horrible.
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 26, 2018
If I could give management 0 stars I would. This company is is not fair and management is racist. They don't treat their employees of color fair at all. Despite the horrible management, you create lasting relationship with your co-workers.
Pros
Co-workers and kiddos.
Cons
management.
Not waht I expected
Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 14, 2018
Stressful, Lots of floating, lack of communication with management, have not had a review, still waiting to complete comps for BT 2, a lot of turn around, lack of respect for BT's.
Pros
likeable students
Cons
not enough time for lunch, not enough training, not enough room for growth
Fast Paced
Behavioral Therapist Mental Health Practicioner (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 1, 2018
Busy work day/ Lots of changes through out the day. Staff have to be flexible.
working with between 3 to five clients a day sometimes more.
Staff are very friendly and helpful with learning employees.
Take your chance and join an awesome team at MAC many fun times...
Behavorial Thearpist MHP (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNDecember 23, 2017
Yes MAC can be stressful at times but think about it.. Don't you have stressful days at most jobs?....MAC has ups and downs but no matter whats going on you can bet that someone is gonna be right their to jump in and help you out give you a break if needed....The teamwork between the coworkers is awesome....You get what you put into it around there basically....so put 100% in and be successful......In regards to the entries about upper management
..they do truly understand life happens ....we are all human and not everyday is perfect....they may look as though they are having a rough day but don't we all at times ..but I have never had a negitive response when I've approached with a question or have gotten bad attitude from a single upper staff.They are always more than willing to answer anything ...
Pros
Always company events, kids are awesome
Cons
it says 8:30 -4:30 on your first day your told your hours are 8:15 to 4:45....
Terrible management
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNDecember 4, 2017
I absolutely LOVED my job and all of the children i worked with. Yes, being a behavior therapust was very hard work. It was also the single most rewarding job I ever had, and for that reason alone I stuck around several years. Things went downhill quickly following a significant change in management. The support and involvement the previous management had provided, was no longer there. The environment as a whole had declined, my career that I loved turned into dreaded 'work'. MAC needs to evaluate this issue. You have lost SO MANY dedicated employees because of upper management. It's NOT just that the job is hard. With the right support from leads and other management, the turnover would decrease significantly. Perhaps an ABC sheet should be used to determine the real cause?
Pros
The children are amazing, personally rewarding position
Cons
Management, lack of sensory items for sr+, unclear expectations, different answer from each person for same question
Great place - making a difference in childrens lives
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNOctober 11, 2017
Good people working together for the benefit of children with special autism needs. Team building exercises during the year. Corporate support when needed. Multiple locations to benchmark and share ideas.