Minnesota Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
pretty cool place to work
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 25, 2018
Management was great. The training they provide is doable. The breaks are reasonable. Starting pay is good. Overall in other departments people are very helpful if and when you don't understand something or can't find a certain area. Winter months you work A or B shifts which is 10 or 12 shifts i didn't like to much cause you get called in 1 or 2 hours before shift which mean that you need to be to work within 15 or 20 min.
Pros
don't get sent home on slow day. always find work to do
Cons
Being a woman just dealing with certain co worker prejudice.
As a student worker, I did not have benefits or advancements.
Sr. Administrative Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 29, 2017
A typical day at work involved planning meetings, taking meeting minutes and any other task that an employee requested. I learned time management, more about Microsoft Word.I enjoyed working for MnDOT very much. The travel, the people, communication and workplace was great. The hardest part of the job was learning the scheduling, but I had phenomenal training. The most enjoyable part of the job was being given the freedom to be creative with some projects and to travel.
Pros
Flexible hours, tuition reimbursement
Cons
No healthcare
Great for long term
Research Analyst Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 10, 2017
If you're looking for a long term and stable job, this company is for you. Job security is really good and their are lots of available internal positions to choose from.
fast paced environment
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, MNOctober 6, 2017
working in the construction industry you had to learn quickly all about the process that they were doing on the bridge. the employees were helpful and easy to get along with
N/a
Office and Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the DOT. The employees were nice and the work was enjoyable. But being a temp I knew it would come to a end but, I would like to find a permanent position.
Really enjoyed it.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNApril 25, 2017
I was a student worker at the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The atmosphere is very friendly and helpful. I assisted other people in the department with their work, and they were very helpful in teaching me what my job was. I learned a lot about concrete, Thermal Profiling and Intelligent Compaction, working with new software, and how contractors and MnDot work together. My supervisor was also very helpful and everyone was very friendly to me. Other than spending large amounts of times in doors and behind a computer screen, it was very fulfilling.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, clean and welcoming environment
Cons
A lot of time spent sitting down
great place with a lot of opportunities to explore and learn
Student Worker/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 28, 2017
it is a great place with great program which provides students to explore and learn what they want and at the same time make a decent money. it is very flexible to students who goes to school in term of scheduling their work hours while they work.
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 23, 2017
I would recommend this company to anyone. It was a great place to work with nice co-workers. Advancement opportunities, lot of technologies to experience and learn.
Great place to work with an important public service mission
Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  St Paul, MNMarch 23, 2017
I work with exceptionally talented and dedicated people to help plan, build, operate and maintain Minnesota safe, accessible, multi-modal transportation system. Our vision is to maximize the health of Minnesota's people, environment and economy.
Professional environment
Hydraulics and Traffic Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 17, 2017
As an intern I had the opportunity to work in multiple departments and learn several skills. Personnel are friendly and happy to teach. It is union work.
Highly professional dedicated design staff.
Supervisor/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 18, 2016
Highly professional dedicated design staff. The strong ethical standard of employees guide department decisions to protect public investments and maximize public return on those investments.
Creative Freedom and Trust
Social Media Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 31, 2016
This organization is very empowering. They let you solve problems and let you own the solutions. They trust you to come up with creative options and the leadership doesn't bog you down with too many approval levels. It's a very traditional and somewhat conservative organization run by engineers.
Pros
Security
Cons
Conservative
A good job to have
Grounds Laborer (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNAugust 29, 2016
I liked working as a laborer at MnDOT. I learned many useful skills such as using a chipper and driving a John Deere mower. I got to paint a snowplow plow and loved working outside.

The hardest part of the job is getting along with co-workers and all of the insects.

The most enjoyable part of the job was never knowing what you could find on the side of the road!
Very good company
Engineering/Internship (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 23, 2016
laid back company to work for. everyone is very nice and if any problems arise with computer issues or or training needs it gets taken care of very quick. Many opportunities to move around to find something that you like or what your best fit is.
Great start
Internship in Construction Inspection (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 7, 2016
Working for MnDOT was very beneficial to my advancement in the field of civil engineering. I worked very closely with experienced inspectors. The individual that I worked under throughout the summer was extremely supportive and patient.
MnDOT did a great job of encouraging my decision to get into the filed of Civil Engineering. I had a great experience and would be happy to be employed with MnDOT
Student Worker in Transportation Management Center (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNSeptember 29, 2015
I enjoyed working there
can be stressful
cool job
got to watch cameras
can do homework
friendly and welcoming place to work for.
(MnDOT) HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 22, 2015
Good company to work for- family work life balance. The staff are very friendly and supportive. It's a good starting point for someone looking to grow or advance in their career path.
profession and knowledgable
TPS2/ ITS2 (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 29, 2014
Work hard, learn the area project Coordinator and data administrator to drive applications
An overall great experience
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 8, 2014
Typical day started with a vehicle checklist to ensure vehicle safety and transporting equipment to the job site. The rest of the day was enjoyed outdoors with great men and women of Mndot. One of the best occupations I have personally held.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Temporary position with no bebfits
Best Job, fun, job security, great people to work for & with,
Transportation Generalist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 6, 2014
One of the best jobs I have ever had. I miss it very much!

A typical day/night at work.. come in get your truck, do a pre trip check on it and then head out plowing your road, usually a group of us team up and plow it all at once then go help each other on other plow routes to open the roads up faster for a safer commute.

What I have learned, well before I started with MN/DOT I never knew how to drive a tandem or any equipment for that matter. but going through their training I learned very quickly and loved it ever since.. I love being in the trucks independently or working together as a group.

Management is ok. Just like us they are doing what they are told. Don't always agree, but agree to disagree at times is ok too.
LOVED my co workers miss them all very much. we look out for one another on the road and feels like a big family.

Hardest part of the job, getting up in the middle of the night, missing holidays and just time in general with your family sometimes but they do understand for the most part.

Most enjoyable, would be knowing you have your road plowed and people you don't know, and the ones know and love that drive that road are safer because of you.
Pros
Great OT, great people to work with.
Cons
missed time from family or events.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minnesota Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Minnesota Department of Transportation Reviews by Location