Minnesota Eye Consultants Employee Reviews

Fast-paced environment, always evolving
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 2, 2018
Minnesota Eye Consultants is one of the best-known ophthalmology practices in the country. The physicians are second-to-none and are true visionaries. There is a lot of change and and piloting new things, mostly because they want to continue to be the best and offer the best care, technology, services, etc. There are opportunities for improvement, like everywhere else. It can be challenging to communicate well with such a large employee base but management tries and for the most part does a good job. I am proud to work here and hope to stay for a long time.
Pros
great benefits, great people, lots of opportunity
Cons
constant innovations and change can be difficult for some
Don't apply
Employee (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 5, 2018
The culture within Minnesota Eye consultants was completely destroyed when they sold shares to a private equity group. The doctors no longer have control of the company and that is obvious in the way the culture has been destroyed. Not only the staff, but the patients suffer with delays in responses, long wait times, and poor clinic management. The only thing high here is the pay, moral is at an all time low.
Pros
The doctors
Cons
Everything else
Horrible management
Clinic position (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 27, 2018
Horrible management. Continue to put people with no skills in management positions. Do not appreciate staff. Very bad morale. Management organizes coloring contests like staff is in preschool. All staff is overworked and not appreciated.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Not allowed to take time off due to lack of staff
typical day of work
Surgical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNFebruary 19, 2018
My typical day at work was greeting people and scheduling them for surgery. Going over the pro vs cons of having the surgery. Talking about insurance and if money is going to be need to be paid.
Very hostile environment with little to no diversity.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 1, 2018
I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone as a good place to work, the environment is very hostile. The employees are rude, no team work and management turned a blind eye to a lot of things that needed to be addressed.
Company is good overall
Optician, Bloomington (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 22, 2017
Areas to improve I'd mention would be knowledge on diversity implementation along with equal/fair set standards across the board for every employee. Thanks!
Management is a joke
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaOctober 22, 2017
A Complete restructure has happened and it is a joke. You are either a regular employee or apart of higher management. No room for advancement and communication is lacking severely. New Senior Manager started and she’s horrible! She has brought in her friends and previous managers she has worked with and created positions for them at MN Eye versus creating positions and offering those positions to current employees at MN Eye. Management is clicky and they tend to intimidate staff. Very high turnover over the last few months and extremely short staffed. They do not care about employees and patient care is suffering due to the changes upper management has done but they aren’t the ones feeling the brunt of it. The fact this is even being allowed to happen is a serious problem.
Pros
Nice PTO
Cons
Everything explained above
Extremely hostile work environment, horrid management
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNOctober 10, 2017
If there was one message I received during my time at MEC it was this: management does not care about the front desk staff. Turnover rate was painfully high, morale consistently low. No opportunity for advancement. In fact, the structure of the place almost seems designed to compel people to quit or be fired. One of the strangest and most unfriendly places I have ever worked.
Horrible management/communication/high turn over. LOTS of change going on
Clinical records assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 11, 2017
Been working there for over a year with absolutely no bad marks. Was treated pretty poorly by the doctor I worked with and was underpaid and required to travel a lot. My review came around and was given a perfect review and was told I have a bright future there. Around a month after that, had a medical emergency that required me to be out several days. Was written up after returning to work for not enough documentation of proof that I needed to be out that long (I had 2 doctors notes). 2-3 weeks later I was a few minutes late due to an accident and they took me into a room, gave me no real explanation why and let me go that day. Long story short the entire company is under a restructure and there is an incredibly long list of people that have been let go or "quit" the past month. The management is some of the worst and most unsympathetic people I've ever dealt with. The communication is absolutely horrible. They do not care about their employees whatsoever, and they basically lied to me telling me I have a bright future there and room to grow and gave me hope, they just sold the company and some merger is happening I think. The turn over rate is horrible. If you are looking for a place to advance and begin a career I posted this to HIGHLY recommended you do not look here. I could not recommend anything less.
Pros
Pot lucks, free eyecare, nice doctors for the most part.
Cons
Everything I explained
Very busy place
Medical Receptionist (Temporary position) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 7, 2017
A very fast paced place to work at, very busy day in and day out. Management was lacking communications with the staff at times. Culture of the place was average.
Too many cases with no breaks
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 21, 2017
Poor management and terrible communication. Too many surgical cases a day with no turn over help or breaks. It's quantity over quality.
No room for growth.
Management does not listen to concerns.
Pay is lower then the average and you never know when you will be done for the day because you don't stay on schedule
No career improvement
Call Center sceduler (Former Employee) –  BloomingtonApril 8, 2017
They just want someone to do all the work while seiored emolyees walk around chitchatting all day, not to mention all the customers who think waiting for more than 2 minutes are more important than the rest of the world. Also, underpaid compared to other companies.
Bad management, no room for growth, bad culture overall.
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNMarch 31, 2017
There is a very high turn over rate for both the scribes and the front desk staff. Management does not really care about their employees. The doctors and clinic staff are great. In terms of management this place runs in my top three worst managers to work for. Don't expect any opportunity for advancement within the company. If you're aiming to be a scribe, front desk staff, or call center receptionist, you will likely be burned out or fired within a year.
Pros
Potlucks, free LASIK, free eye exams, pharma reps bring in free food.
Cons
High turnover, management cares little about their staff, little room for growth.
Did not care for the hours
Call Center Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 24, 2017
People who have been there longer were overlooked for promotions. Uncooperative with needed or wanted time off. Needed more training that was not provided.
Pros
Lots of pot luck lunches
Cons
One department specifically was not very friendly
Great Environment but little growth
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 19, 2017
Paid in the 10th percentile for my experience and background, and no room for growth. Doctors and staff are amazing though and are very accommodating and flexible.
Enjoyable
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 9, 2013
My day started with taking all messages off the over night phone system after retreiving messages we signed on the phones to start taking calls for scheduling patients for eye exams and procedures.

My job was to go over all Doctors appts and make sure they were scheduled correctly and to fix any errors..
Pros
easy work place and comfortable
Cons
no chance to advance with in the company