Minnesota Historical Society Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Poor management
Associate (Current Employee) –  Oliver Kelley FarmJanuary 16, 2018
Management is horrible; they expect you to read their minds & do everything for them, but when you don't you get snapped at just for asking questions.
Pros
Easy winters
Cons
Management, crazy busy summers
Meaningful work in a supportive and positive atmosphere.
Internship Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 12, 2017
My experience was great. Everyone I talked to whether they were in my department or not were friendly and supportive. The people working in the organization, and therefor the organization itself, are genuinely prepared to do what they can for the community and to constantly work towards improvement within the organization.
Poor Work/Life Balance
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 19, 2017
Interpreters are treated poorly and expected to work either 10 hour weeks (off-peark) or work 7 days a week (summer hours). The company encourages interpreters to work multiple sites. You will not survive working one or two sites. To work achieve full time hours you must work 3 sites. This means from April to September/October you will work with no days off. Your hours will vary from 35 to 40 per week. The sites do not talk to each other on scheduling if they share staff. As an interpreter it is your job not to be double scheduled. I do not recommend working here if you want to have a life outside of work.
Pros
Cons
hours, pay, scheduling, management
Excellent opportunity, overbearing director
Publishing Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 18, 2017
The Minnesota Historical Society's internship program is a great opportunity to work in a diverse range of fields, expand your network and gain great experience. The director of the program tends to micromanage, assigning extraneous busywork that is not related to the individual internships. This is frustrating but can be worked with as long as you poses a little patience.
Pros
free food, great experience, diverse oportunities, networking
Cons
managment
Great internship experience
Internship Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 6, 2017
This was a great place to have an internship. The program that the Minnesota Historical Society has setup is great for students to get good experience that will be transferable to jobs.
Great work environment
Interpreter II (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 12, 2015
Good management in the organization. Nice group of people that work there. There is a great opportunity for advancement and upward mobility is encouraged.
Great people and work but low pay
Curatorial (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 20, 2015
I love my job here and my management is great. The only bad part is that you pay for having an interesting and challenging job by accepting a low salary. Benefits are excellent however.
Pros
Great benefits, time off is great after 5 years
Cons
Minimal vacation until you hit the five years, Salaries offered are not in line with an employee's skills.
Great job in my field, but limited term
Intern, Mentor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 18, 2015
While it is not necessary for me to work in my field of study, I did really enjoy this job. Working with my peers at the museum and students at their schools were both great experiences.
Pros
Great experience, made good contacts
Cons
Limited to a specific period, sometimes travelled far for short jobs
Great opportunities to develop leadership skills in the field of education
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJanuary 4, 2015
Working for the Minnesota Historical Society has given me the chance to explore the field of education through supporting students with their History Day research assignment. Mentors also get the chance to work with students in optional library research gatherings outside of the regular classroom environment.
Pros
Relates to my degree studies, flexible hours
Cons
Short shifts
History transform lives
Family Audience Market Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MinnesotaAugust 7, 2014
- Eye opening
- Something new about MN everyday
- co-workers are awesome
- Working with children who do not cooperate
- Seeing families have a good time at the museum
Awesome place to work! Especially if you love history!
Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 26, 2014
Intern with the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.
Learned about and assisted with the strategic planning related to the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund, its work and its disbursement.
Study various issues pertaining to the fund, e.g. how funds are currently being used or future potential partners.
Work with stakeholders invested in the future of the fund (current and potential grantees).
Conduct research on administrative process and procedures
Work actively with files relating to fund investments and potential projects.
Develop a record retention system and schedule
Help collect and analyze data from investments in preparation for reports.
Increased awareness about public administration in a large institution
Awareness of the partners and grantees of the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund supplied by the State of Minnesota.
Experience in working with a large public fund and its disbursement
Familiarity with and ability to utilize information to make strategic decisions for the future.
Program planning, implementation, and evaluation skills
Practical, i.e. can claim on a resume, experience with non-profit administration.
Experience working on fund management with seasoned professionals.
Confidence in interacting with stakeholders and the public as well as within the office environment
Fun place to work!
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pine City, MNOctober 19, 2013
I loved this job. I learned a little history and had fun doing it. Loved talking to all of the visitors, selling them tickets and working the gift shop.
Pros
Cons
Being laid off
Taught high school students to create a project and present it in competition
History Day Mentor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 27, 2012
For a large portion of the school year I would drive to the school once or twice a week and spend a class period helping the students write and develop an essay according to certain criteria, and build that essay into a display project that could compete on the regional and state levels. Once competition time came I helped with both the regional and state competitions by helping set up/tear down, judging, and operation of the competitions. The hardest part of the job was all of the travel time, but the most enjoyable part was seeing my students advance to state - one of them even won their division!