Minnesota Judicial Branch Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Seniority run culture
Integration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 29, 2018
The job was easy.
There was no consistency on how tasks were performed.
Culture was difficult, Senior workers were controlling weak management.
Very little coaching for onboarding.
It was a rotating door as far as hiring.
Pros
Easy work.
Cons
Weak Management, Gossip
Worst Part of the Job
Senior Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 25, 2018
The supervisors don't seem to care about employees actual work experience. They care only about performance and productivity. This causes employees to feel unimportant.
Indifferent
typical job (Former Employee) –  Branch, MNApril 25, 2018
Awful management. Unfair treatment. No trust. No understanding. Uptight and inflexible. Tone deaf about the needs and emotions of their employees.
What an experience.
Volunteer/Guardian Ad Litem (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 24, 2018
This was such a rewarding place to be a spokeperson through the court system for youth that need a voice that is at the best interest for them and to show them you care.
Pros
I won my for case
Cons
Not everyone cares
Government pace at its finest
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 11, 2018
Slow-paced, very little project movement, red tape and legalities everywhere, not enough work for my intended hiring position. It allowed me very little flexibility to expand my skills due to "no budget", was promised required infrastructure would be in place for me to do my job and the project was postponed, giving me little to fill 40 hour weeks.
Fantastic place to work
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 25, 2017
Couldn't have lucked out more. Fantastic place to work. I have learned much about legal practice from reading all submissions and drafting orders. The work is plentiful, rewarding and enjoyable.
Cons
No feedback fromJudge Bush.
STS crew leader (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJune 21, 2017
I took out court ordered community service crews from Judge Bush. His former staff hated him. He believes in public humiliation rather than discussing any issues personally. Being the Judge, he feels entitled to do that. If that is the work atmosphere you like, this is the job for you!
Pros
Staff other than the judge is good.
Cons
Judge Bush will not give you feedback until he wants to demean you.
Builing strong families
Judicial Assistance/Clerk of Courts (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 18, 2017
Worked here for over 13 years and the job was amazing. Coming to work was easy and people loved the job. Family was important and we always celebrated one another.
Pros
Work hours and work life balance
Cons
I relocated
great experience
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MNApril 16, 2017
Really great exposure to all sorts of court procedures and substantive areas of law. The work life balance is great. The benefits are great. The judge I clerk for is great. The only downside would be that this is not a permanent position and there is not much room for advancement.
Excellent place to work
Judicial clerk (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNApril 7, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Minnesota Courts. I got a chance to craft judicial opinions in a wide variety of legal areas. The environment was universally friendly and welcoming.
My Favorite Job To Date
Judicial Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 27, 2017
I clerked under a state judge. It was my first legal job and I absolutely loved it. It allowed me to gain real experience under a highly regarded judge. Work life balance was also great.
Handled the filing of all Court of Appeals and Supreme Court documents
Assistant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 21, 2016
A typical day at work would involve me fielding calls from both lawyers and pro se litigants. They often had questions about the appellate process and when particular deadlines are upcoming.I learned almost everything there is to know about the two highest courts in the state. Management was wonderful. Always super helpful and could diffuse a situation with an upset client better than anyone. My co-workers were awesome. I think they appreciated me because I lightened their work load, but they were generally good people that I still keep in contact with to this day. The hardest part of my job was dealing with pro se litigants when their first language was not English. Because I was unable to provide any legal advice, they often felt frustrated that I could not fill out the proper paperwork. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with pro se clients. To see the hope in their eyes, that someway, somehow, their case would be overturned.
Pros
Wonderful people to work with
Cons
Slightly reduced pay rate
A challenging but satisfying job. I enjoy working with the families and children, and advocate for the best interests of them at court!
Child Advocate (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MinnesotaOctober 4, 2015
I am a child advocate at both Family and Juvenile Court in the State of Minnesota. I have worked there for 3 years and have received thorough trainings regarding child welfare and the legal systems in the US. I conduct my independent investigation into all cases on behalf of the judges, and my job is to gather as much information as possible so that I can represent the best interests of the children at court. Judges rely heavily on Advocate's information to make informed decision regarding the welfare of the children at each court hearing. My role is very important as a neutral party at court compared to other parties such as the State attorney, the Child Protection case worker, Social Services, Parents and their attorney and even the children and their attorney. I love my job and I enjoy working with the families, and seeing the growth and progress made toward a safer and better environment for children.
Excellent Experience
Hamline Dean's Summer Fellow (Former Employee) –  MNAugust 16, 2015
It was an honor and a privilege to have the opportunity to have an internship with a District Court judge. I had the chance to do many things that someone in my position at that point would not have normally done.
Typical Advancement Opportunities
Business Analyst & Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 5, 2015
Minimal advancement opportunities. The current compensation not comparable to private sector salaries. Job stability is a plus if your goal is to be a career government employee.
Pros
job stability
Cons
compensation not comparable to the private sector
have your own schedule
Court Interpreter / Translator (Current Employee) –  Fifth districtJune 7, 2015
as needed (on call). fairly compensation, paid mileage, supportive management team, and respectful place to work for. professional training.
Pros
flexible schedule
on call
Court Interpreter / Translator (Current Employee) –  fifth districtJanuary 13, 2015
Great recompense
Nice and professional Management
good communications
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
control my own time
Very productive,understaffed office, very stressful, can be very rewarding.
Assistant Clerk of Court (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 16, 2014
I loved my job, my coworkers, The Staff attorney's Office, my law clerks, The Attorney General's Office and my former supervisors. There is no doubt, they felt the same way about me.

"In my last 8 months with the court, The entire environment, my scope of responsibilities, new management, and the changing job culture, changed everything for me, Because of this I prefer not to answer these required questions.

What was is no longer.
Pros
Great benefits, cheap parking, Great Staff Attorneys, good IT department.
Cons
Clerk's Office is not allowed the same opportunities as most of the building; such as making up time, working from home, not showing up to work during a snow storms. Thankless, stressful job. No where to advance. Doctor excuses for any medical sick day or appointment hours.
Able to work without little supervision
Senior Court Clerk-Criminal Division (Former Employee) –  MNAugust 24, 2014
I learned quite a bit about prioritizing my workload. Every day went by quickly because you were always so busy. Once you logged onto your computer you were off and running. Once trained in on their system, you were off and running. I do like the on the job training and little supervision once the position is learned. I was never apprehensive to ask others questions on how to do something or what their way of working certain situations. Their way may help me in how I do my job. My co-workers were easy to get a long with and made me feel at home right away.
Short contract job in IT
System Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 19, 2014
Interesting clients and fun to help them. Not a structured environment.