MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Employee Reviews

Great Environment
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOAugust 9, 2018
The environment is wonderful- a great place to work hard and enjoy what you do, but also feel like you have a family right at work. I loved showing up each day.
Great place to gain knowledge and have benefits
INTERMEDIATE GENERAL SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 17, 2018
A normal day would be walking in the office checking emails, calling contractors and setting up meetings to meet on the job site to oversee your projects.

MoDOT is more about the title of the job instead of the actual work performed. Two positions pay the exact same but one position may have a heavier work load.
Pros
Great time off, great benefits and awesome learning experience.
Cons
For ths position compared to other states the salary is below average
Great if your looking to just get by
Laborer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 11, 2018
Its not a bad job. You just don't get paid very well. Ive not had a raise in 2 years however the insurance goes up. Advancement best look somewhere else unless you are willing to relocate every time a job comes up. Management is kind of a joke. Not at lot is explained you are taught by just doing it. Upper management is a even bigger joke. They seem to love to micromanage everything. Its a steady job and the time off is awsome just don't expect to get ahead in life. Most of us work 2 or 3 jobs and qualify for state aid.... Yet we work for the state.
Pros
paid time off racks up fast
Cons
pay
Productive work life balance
Market Analysis Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 28, 2018
Safe work place to work. Learned how to work with diverse staff and the community. Upper Management working on pay and benefits to make it a better place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a completed project, be it a new bridge, road overlay, or freshly plowed highway that we get things done and get people home safe.
Pros
Time off and work life balance
Cons
Pay and health benefits
A total cluster
Senior Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 25, 2018
Hostile working environment with very low pay and no promotional opportunities. No work life balance.
Management is very poor.
Turnover is very high and training is poor at best.
Blacksmith Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, MOMarch 20, 2018
Great place to work stress free work place low pay is the problem here they do how ever beat you up with time off i do miss that. if you want to move up in rank be prepared to kiss a ss and find the solid crew members stick together there are a lot of snakes everywhere modot encourages thak stuff.
Dont Snitch
Pros
time off
Cons
low pay
Good Place to Work
Traffic Liaison Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMarch 18, 2018
Great work environment, but MoDOT is one of the lowest paid DOTs in the country. Overall management philosophies are good, promotion and hiring practices are fair. Some typical state government bureaucracy, but that is typical.
I enjoy MoDOT
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMarch 14, 2018
Friendly, family oriented place to work with safety at it's core. The benefits are some of the best in Missouri state employment. Many people work their entire carrier with MoDOT.
all and all good place
Blacksmith (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, MOMarch 1, 2018
low pay. they beat you up with paid time off the hr department is extreamly helpfull. work a weekend of snow removal on comp time you can take a week off in the summer.
Good people to work with.
Public Relations Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJanuary 23, 2018
My job was partly receptionist, front desk in lobby and writing some press releases. Didn't feel my skills were being used as much as they could have been.
Pros
Secure place to work
Cons
My job in particular wasn't enough work.
Temporary Employees
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 21, 2018
My overall view is from what they said about profits from the road work. And then let all the temporary employees go. I was told that a state funded company were not to make a profit.
Pros
No Pros from this company
Cons
low pay, talents of employees not used, made you feel like you were just a fill in worker than one of their employees
Great Job
Maintenance Worker- Strike Team (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 18, 2018
If it paid more I would have stayed for the duration of my career. Great oppurtunities to learn new tasks at this job to further your career. I would strongly recommend.
The state was a great job, just left to return to HyVee.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Maryville, Mo, Sheridan, Mo, Grant City, MoJanuary 4, 2018
Being a crew member of the state of Missouri left me no room to go anywhere. The hardest part of my job was plowing snow at night. What I liked the best was the summers. You receive 5 hours of vacation a week.
great organization
Assistant to the District Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 19, 2017
I had a great career with the Missouri Department of Transportation. Employees are developed for advancement from within. Unfortunately the salaries are not competitive.
Temp Job but fun
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MONovember 18, 2017
I only worked there for a few mpnths during the summer but I really enjoyed it. I would definetly recomnend it due to opportunity to advance and the people you work with.
Pros
Advancement oppurtunities
Cons
Temp job
Family orienated
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOOctober 27, 2017
MODOT is family orientated , friendly people, steady schedule except during the winter season. Good health insurance compared to other companies.
Pay is not competitive and can be difficult to advance.
Pros
paid vacation and Holidays
Cons
low pay, working during snow storms
Modot
Transportation Enforcement Investigator (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOOctober 10, 2017
If you are interested in working with a state department that offers various job classifications then this is the department for you. Not a very diverse group if I may say so.
Good employer. Excellent opportunity to learn.
Senior Material Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2017
Overall, enjoyed my time at MoDOT. Challenging assignments and a great learning environment. The two District Engineers that I worked under were both excellent. It was a great place to learn my trade.
Pros
Overall, excellent place to work.
Cons
For a non-degree engineer, advancement was a little slow.
Worked there 10 years
SENIOR CREW WORKER (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, MOSeptember 6, 2017
I worked there a lot of years. Gave it my all but needed a job to better provide for my family. Good benefits. Steady job. Overtime during snowstorms.
Pros
Steady
Cons
advancement
Productive, very interesting and fun workplace
Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOSeptember 6, 2017
I retired in 2000 at age 58 after 30 years of employment. I thoroughly enjoyed my career. I especially enjoyed all the friends, acquaintances, co-workers, etc. that I developed down through the years by working at this top-notch government agency. Because of my employer, I was also able to especially enjoy my lengthy involvement with CVSA (Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance) which was comprised of government agencies from all 50 states, federal gov't., commercial transportation companies as well as commercial vehicle components manufacturer of all types, all working together to achieve one common goal: Safety On Our Nation's Highways.
Pros
Everything was good!
Cons
As with most jobs, pay could have been better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION. Our community is ready to answer.