MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Employee Reviews

Entry level workers
Road Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City DistrictJanuary 8, 2019
Entry level workers are not valued nor paid what they are worth for all that is required and how they put their life on the line with all the crazy drivers on the road.
Great company to work for, just terrible management at the facility that I work out of.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Sikeston, MOJanuary 6, 2019
Modot as a whole is a fantastic company to work for. I love the opportunities to learn new skills and diversity of the work done. I wouldn't consider leaving if the commute wasn't so far and the management at my facility was more competent honestly and still highly recommend Modot as an employer for young people starting out on their career paths.
Pros
I love the time off and flexibility offered.
Cons
Horrible management at current location.
Engineer
Traffic Studies Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJanuary 3, 2019
Great work/ life balance
horrible pay compared to other DOTs
Slow paced environment makes to easy to learn
Self motivation is required
paid leave and sick time
Pros
Environment
Cons
Pay
BEWARE! Do Not Work For This Organization!
Supervising Bridge Inspection Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MODecember 11, 2018
Reasons to avoid MoDOT:
1. Has a history of layoffs, most recently in 2012.
2. Salaries are about 30% less than industry standards.
3. Requires professional level employees to plow snow.
4. Management told the public and their own employees in 2012 they were out of money and laid off dozens of long-time employees, only to fill those open positions a few months later with new hires.

If you want to be a part of this type of culture then by all means apply.
Pros
Cons
See Below
Landscaping industry
Lanscaping (Former Employee) –  Maryville, MONovember 17, 2018
Short and brief typical days. I learned how to work certain machines and lawn mowers. Management was authoritative. It was mixed cultures of all types. Thea hardest part of the job? There was none. The mosr enjoyabke part was the new people you got to meet and learn from
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Good people to work with however pay is low
Maintenance Crew (Current Employee) –  Maryville, MONovember 12, 2018
Low salary for job requirements. Benefits are good. Co-workers are good to work with and usually quite helpful. On call during the winter months for snow plowing.
Great Environment
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOAugust 9, 2018
The environment is wonderful- a great place to work hard and enjoy what you do, but also feel like you have a family right at work. I loved showing up each day.
Great place to gain knowledge and have benefits
INTERMEDIATE GENERAL SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 17, 2018
A normal day would be walking in the office checking emails, calling contractors and setting up meetings to meet on the job site to oversee your projects.

MoDOT is more about the title of the job instead of the actual work performed. Two positions pay the exact same but one position may have a heavier work load.
Pros
Great time off, great benefits and awesome learning experience.
Cons
For ths position compared to other states the salary is below average
Good Place to Work
Motor Carrier Services Director (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 2, 2018
Very interesting and fun place to work and good customer service is provided. Managers listen to and support employees. The department provides many training and development opportunities.
Pros
Good benefits and retirement
Cons
Pay is not very competitive for hourly positions
Great if your looking to just get by
Laborer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 11, 2018
Its not a bad job. You just don't get paid very well. Ive not had a raise in 2 years however the insurance goes up. Advancement best look somewhere else unless you are willing to relocate every time a job comes up. Management is kind of a joke. Not at lot is explained you are taught by just doing it. Upper management is a even bigger joke. They seem to love to micromanage everything. Its a steady job and the time off is awsome just don't expect to get ahead in life. Most of us work 2 or 3 jobs and qualify for state aid.... Yet we work for the state.
Pros
paid time off racks up fast
Cons
pay
Productive work life balance
Market Analysis Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 28, 2018
Safe work place to work. Learned how to work with diverse staff and the community. Upper Management working on pay and benefits to make it a better place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a completed project, be it a new bridge, road overlay, or freshly plowed highway that we get things done and get people home safe.
Pros
Time off and work life balance
Cons
Pay and health benefits
A total cluster
Senior Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 25, 2018
Hostile working environment with very low pay and no promotional opportunities. No work life balance.
Management is very poor.
Turnover is very high and training is poor at best.
Blacksmith Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, MOMarch 20, 2018
Great place to work stress free work place low pay is the problem here they do how ever beat you up with time off i do miss that. if you want to move up in rank be prepared to kiss a ss and find the solid crew members stick together there are a lot of snakes everywhere modot encourages thak stuff.
Dont Snitch
Pros
time off
Cons
low pay
Good Place to Work
Traffic Liaison Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMarch 18, 2018
Great work environment, but MoDOT is one of the lowest paid DOTs in the country. Overall management philosophies are good, promotion and hiring practices are fair. Some typical state government bureaucracy, but that is typical.
I enjoy MoDOT
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMarch 14, 2018
Friendly, family oriented place to work with safety at it's core. The benefits are some of the best in Missouri state employment. Many people work their entire carrier with MoDOT.
all and all good place
Blacksmith (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, MOMarch 1, 2018
low pay. they beat you up with paid time off the hr department is extreamly helpfull. work a weekend of snow removal on comp time you can take a week off in the summer.
Good people to work with.
Public Relations Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJanuary 23, 2018
My job was partly receptionist, front desk in lobby and writing some press releases. Didn't feel my skills were being used as much as they could have been.
Pros
Secure place to work
Cons
My job in particular wasn't enough work.
Temporary Employees
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 21, 2018
My overall view is from what they said about profits from the road work. And then let all the temporary employees go. I was told that a state funded company were not to make a profit.
Pros
No Pros from this company
Cons
low pay, talents of employees not used, made you feel like you were just a fill in worker than one of their employees
Great Job
Maintenance Worker- Strike Team (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 18, 2018
If it paid more I would have stayed for the duration of my career. Great oppurtunities to learn new tasks at this job to further your career. I would strongly recommend.
The state was a great job, just left to return to HyVee.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Maryville, Mo, Sheridan, Mo, Grant City, MoJanuary 4, 2018
Being a crew member of the state of Missouri left me no room to go anywhere. The hardest part of my job was plowing snow at night. What I liked the best was the summers. You receive 5 hours of vacation a week.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION. Our community is ready to answer.