Mitchell Grocery Corporation Employee Reviews

Shiney new nickel for every year of service.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALJuly 31, 2018
This place is a joke. Horrible benefits. Dead end job that you have to work 50 hrs a week or more for little pay. Managament is joke. If you like working for company that's stuck in 1995 and have absolute zero drive to better your life. Then by all means work at Mitchell grocery. Oh and dont forget that brand new nickel raise you get every year. So generous.
very layed back
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALNovember 13, 2018
I loved working here but I did not receive that much in terms of pay and opportunity. Did acquire valuable work experience. Great job for teenagers in high school.
Pros
chill, easy, not intensive
Cons
low pay, no benefits, failing business policies
They have excellent benefits.
Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Albertville, ALSeptember 9, 2018
The company is great to work for with excellent benefits. In my opinion, they need more good employees to help get the job done so the employees don't have so much stress on them.
Benefits
Alright
wherehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALOctober 15, 2018
It is good for a temporary job for younger people. It pays the bills. The hours where long and I found myself working overtime a lot. Management wasn’t bad
Pros
The people where fun
Cons
Constantly working not much time off
Hard place to work sometimes
Yard dog driver (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALDecember 31, 2018
If you work there be prepared to step up to not only do the job you are asked but the jobs of others as well. Overall the people are decent management is all over the place and the work sucks sometimes
Pros
Decent living
Cons
Stressfull work
It's a good job for some people
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALNovember 29, 2018
I liked the job just wanted more money and better location and different hours. It is a good place if your looking to stay for long time because it's based on seniority.
Pros
Smoke room
Cons
Work holidays
Fun but hardwork is required
Lumper/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALJanuary 15, 2019
The atmosphere is great but the management staff expects that you are working. The work is hard but fun due to the atmosphere and the people are fun and entertaining .
Terrible benefits and they barely pay you
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cullman, ALJune 23, 2017
There is absolutely no room for advancement here unless you get into the Meat Department and that means just getting the knowledge on how to cut meat and then seeking employment elsewhere.

They pay only minimum wage. I was there for 2 years learning to cut meat before they increased my pay to $7.75. The hours were terrible and I felt like I was there all the time. Other places will pay upwards of $15 an hour for someone who knows how to cut meat but here the manager of the meat department was making only $10. They will not pay you what you are worth.

I really liked the people I worked with but this place is something you do during or just after high school to get some sort of job experience otherwise it's just a dead end job.
Pros
The people
Cons
Practically no benefits, terrible hours, terrible pay
used to be a fun place to work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Albertville, ALDecember 9, 2018
at first it was a good place to work but now its not so great used to be a fun place to work now its like they don't care about the employees not enough hours to support my family
Pros
free clinic company picnic
Cons
health care not so good
Company that treats you like family.
Retail Counselor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALJanuary 13, 2019
Great family owned company that is in it’s third generation. Lot’s of stability. You can see the ownership of the company heavily involved on a daily basis.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Communication could be better .
It’s ok
Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Albertville, ALMay 15, 2018
Not enough people for jobs ,not enough money , I have to work a lot of hours around holidays. I hate to leave this place but, around holidays I don’t get to see my family enough. Management is relaxed though
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Not enough pay, have to work a lot at holiday time
Not bad
Sales/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALJuly 13, 2018
Was not bad but sales were getting slow and stores were closing so i was losing a productive paycheck. Hours were getting shorter. I liked the management
Pros
Works with you
Cons
Low sales
horrible place to work
Meat Cutter/Butcher (Former Employee) –  Hanceville, ALMay 20, 2016
I had worked 15 minutes of overtime during a holiday so my manager has the overtime removed. Basically he stole it. He also did the same thing to an elderly employee who was working to supplement his social security income. If you can find somewhere else to work you'll be better off. They pay minimum wage and your lucky to get a raise. My experience working there taught me that Mitchell grocery employs liars and thieves for managers. When I told senior management about the overtime incident I was treated like it was my fault. The meat market manager at the Hanceville WDG location is a liar and thief.
Pros
they work with college students schedules
Cons
they are still open for business
Poor scheduling, raises are rare, poor management
cashier (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALApril 2, 2015
Raises are very hard to come by. For part time employees it's generally a quarter after six months and doesn't get much more than minimum wage. The scheduling is extremely poor. Everyone is required to work EVERY Saturday AND Sunday AND holidays. The manager of the store I work at is decent, but the assistant managers are terrible. Favoritism plays a HUGE role in everything that goes on. I do love my coworkers and the customers are typically very nice.
Pros
Coworkers, customers
Cons
Scheduling and management are a joke, don't expect raises
Great place to shop for life, bad place to work for life, but great temp.
Cahier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 24, 2017
I loved the family oriented feeling you get working here at Comptons. Everyone is nice and works with you. There are rarely any pay raises though and not many advancments to look foward to.
poor management/poor pay/good job/good customers
cashier (Former Employee) –  muscle shoals, alSeptember 16, 2015
The management here really do not know what they are doing and you wonder how they made it to the positions they hold. Pay does not compensate for the work that is expected and raises are rare and small. The customers are pretty good people. Mostly the employees are good but there are some that are unbearable. The overall job is great but pay could be a lot better and management and employees need to be weeded out.
Pros
good customers good enviroment
Cons
poor pay poor management
Terrible management with no advancement
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morgan County, ALApril 16, 2016
I helped open a brand new Foodland and was given the opportunity to work in the office as a bookkeeper and be the head cashier. They tried to work me to death for 50 cents above minimum wage, and I was the highest paid person besides management. No one would work with my college schedule, the management was rude and terrible, and the upper management didn't seem to care. I also worked 35-40 hours a week with no benefits and no chance of ever being "full time." It's a terrible company.
Pros
The customers
Cons
Literally everything else
Poor Overall
Cashier and Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALFebruary 4, 2016
Managers don't know what they're doing, if you're a manager in a department, you are expected to be married to the store, but you have no real say in what goes on in your department. Store manager was hardly there, makes you question how they even have a job there, much less in management.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, small if any raises, poor work environment, no motivation
Very good owners loved working here
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Albertville, ALJune 22, 2017
Only reason I left was had to relocate plenty of chances to advance with in company. Management is well trained and can handle any situation thrown at them
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Compensation could have been better
Terrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALAugust 14, 2017
There are several problems with this company. First of all, the management there is ineffective with absolutely no leadership capabilities whatsoever. The managers try to intimidate you to make sure that you know that they are in charge, even though they can barely do their own jobs. None of the managers have any sort of formal training in management and they definitely have favorites. Second, there is no such thing as work/life balance at this company. The way it usually goes here is if you are one of the favorites, you can get anything you want. If you are not one of the favorites, no matter how hard you work, you are expected to drop everything outside of work. You are expected to sacrifice things like family, church, etc. because you needed a job. If you ask off for anything, the managers will complain about it. Third, the pay is absolutely terrible. You start out making minimum wage with the promise of an evaluation after 90 days. This promise is rarely ever kept. If you do ask for a raise, then you are labeled by management as a complainer. Most of the people that I know have gotten raises have had to threaten to quit to get them. As far as workplace culture, everything is fine if you are one of the favorites. However, if you do something to make any of the managers mad, they will hold a grudge and make working there miserable. They will try to get back at you through the schedule, either by scheduling you to work only on nights and weekends and/or by cutting your hours. Some of them will go so far as to not even say anything to you directly, but will  more... talk about you to other employees behind your back and then lie about it if confronted.  less
Pros
Good coworkers, good customers, works around school schedules
Cons
Poor management, no work/life balance, terrible pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitchell Grocery Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7