Mitchell International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good workplace
Software Development Engineering intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2019
Good work-life balance
Talented co-workers
very friendly and supportive supervisors and managers.
very friendly and multi cultural atmosphere
Opportunities for growth
A leader in the industry.
Do NOT work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 28, 2019
The manager from the Chicago office is horrible and participated in illegal doings with insurance companies. The company Medical Consultants Network was bought out by Mitchell International and they are not aware of the shadiness of the managers from MCN.
Do not work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 18, 2018
Management is terrible especially in the Chicago and Seattle offices. Our company was bought out from Mitchell but the management from the former company were horrid and unprofessional. They spoke badly of Mitchell and their employees before getting bought out.
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
Management, Salary, Clients, Entire work atmosphere
Poor management
Medical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 11, 2018
Rate Mitchell poorly due to management, pay and lack of advancement. Company does not offer bonus program, consistent work load of over 50 hours per week.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Management, pay
Decent Managers Make All the Difference
Senior Computer Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 20, 2018
Mitchell was a great employer - as long as you worked under a decent manager. I was lucky to have a truly excellent Manager, but so many others are not excellent at all!

Mitchell manages to attract some excellent talent, but too often doesn't know what to do with them once they get them. They put way to much importance on how a person looks in a suit, and not weather or not they are great at their jobs - especially in management.

Constant changes of direction means that few people ever 'buy in' to the current goals, which means things take longer than they should, and frequently don't produce any usable results. Significant changes in the middle of projects cause disruption for the clients, and poor moral for the employees..

The very same can be said about their meetings. To much time, too much posturing, and it's largely all down-management. You are there to listen, and obey. Very rarely does management care to hear about the hurdles encountered while trying to carry out their plans, unless your lucky and work under a supervisor who is more into doing good work, than playing politics.

Organizationally top-heavy with senior management having little to no experience in the company's primary business areas mean they simply can't participate when they are needed.

Mitchell isn't very proactive - and they tend to wait to respond to client issues only after a client becomes very angry. And then, only for key (large) clients.
Pros
Some Great coworkers, a few truly great managers
Cons
Some truly archaic management styles, not enough emphasis on customer needs.
Overtime expected
Worker's compensation case manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 10, 2018
I was very unhappy working at Mitchell due to the very high work volume and high work expectations that required many hours of unpaid overtime.
I did not feel that my team lead or managers listened to my concerns about the volume of cases or the high expectations placed on employees.
Changes with contracts affecting coding positions.
Medical Coder/Bill Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92122October 25, 2018
The department that I worked in was going through a lot of changes, and while management said there would be no changes in the medical coding department, when a job arose that would advance my coding experience and was closer to home, I made the job change.
Pros
Interesting work, variety of work.
Cons
Stability was a concern in the department I worked in.
Got a foosball table after four 1/2 years being there. It was a big thing.
APPRAISER 3 (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXAugust 21, 2018
It was a fun place to work. Great people, and good coworkers. The separation of departments seemed unnecessary, from Auto Property Damage to Medical. Saying hello felt formal and forced.
Pros
They bought us lunch if we worked over time.
Cons
Home office in San Diego is lavish with major amenities, we got a foosball table after 4 years and jumbo Jenga.
Started great then declined
Client Account Support (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 16, 2018
The auto casualty department of the job was great the work was fun and the team and environment made going to work exciting! The workers comp department and script advisor side of the job is terrible. The management would be better replaced by a four year old as most acted as unprofessional and stupid as one could get.
IT support
IT Technical/Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 31, 2018
good company with good culture. Not the best, but nothing to frown upon. You feel appreciated here, but it also depends on your department. There is always favoritism, but that comes with every company.
Great place to start a career
Sr. Account Manager, Auto Casualty Division (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 18, 2018
It's been several years since I worked at Mitchell, so things may have changed. The work was interesting and challenging, and most people there wanted to do well and win at work. This is a great place if you're starting your career and want to learn a lot, since most work is done through cross functional teams. Not a lot of opportunity for promotion or advancement thought, and they seem to like hiring from the outside.
Great Employer
Workers Compensation Bill Review Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 15, 2018
I have worked 12.5 years with Mitchell and enjoyed every moment of it. Excellent management, good work place to work,Though I got laid off due to reorganization caused by outsourcing, I'm still looking forward to work with them.
Pros
good opportunity to learn advance while you get paid to better position
Cons
should find way to keep job in America.
Lean agile environment
project manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 12, 2018
Mitchell prides itself in its open space environment which translates into small short walled cubicle farms. This is a great concept for most of their workforce which consists of developers. However, for those of us who work/have worked in positions that demand time on the phone it can be a bit of a challenge due to noise level.

Perhaps the biggest challenge I had at Mitchell was related to cooperation from internal departments. You could say that within certain departments there exists a tribal mentality. This was something I observed to be deeply rooted in the culture within the company. Having said that, the executive leadership team when available would try to steer the managers under them towards a more inclusive state.

Compensation was fair however, I found the benefits to be lacking. In particular the earned vacation time which is half of what I earn at my current company. Mitchell does however make a very strong effort to assist its employees with continued education and training. They even bring in representatives from universities they have worked out discounts with to speak to employees.

Although my position demanded I work long hours both in the office and at home, Mitchell was flexible enough to allow me to move my schedule around as needed.

Management was great and gave me the flexibility to develop the tools I felt were needed to manage the work I did. I was always empowered to take a leadership role and was recognized for my efforts.

Overall, I found my experience at Mitchell to be a positive one and I would recommend.
Pros
flexible schedule, management
Cons
benefits, inter department communication
Ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 3, 2018
Listen more to your residents and your employees. There should be a better training program for New Hires and a refresher course for current employees every six months.
Good Place to work
MEDICAL BILLING (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJune 20, 2018
I really liked the work. Most of my co-workers were nice but office gossip could be nipped in the bud, it got a little annoying at times. Pay is pretty low but the job is basically easy, no stressors. They seem to care about their employees however it is a gossip hole. I had to work hard at obtaining my own opinion of others as my co-workers tried to form them for me and that is basically the only down side I saw.
Pros
Good Atmosphere, okay benefits. Great supervisors!
Cons
gossipy office, in your business.
Good people mediocre management
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2018
Most of the people I work with are dedicated and competent. The direction management is taking the company and our applications is excellent. I think we are well positioned in the market and getting better every day. The issue is one of commitment to quality. Not quality of execution, quality of design. Too much unpaid technical debt, too many designs of expediency.
family oriented laid back environment that puts its employees first
Supervisor 1 (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXMay 28, 2018
Mitchell is a great place to work for new professionals and seasoned ones alike. The culture is amazing and there are a wide variety of opportunities to move around into different roles. Work/Life balance as well as employee engagement and satisfaction are key priorities of the leadership team.
Learned a lot
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 2, 2018
A Flexible schedule was available. Mitchell taught me a lot over my years from data entry to data analysis. Busy workplace. Under staffed for the workload.
Pros
Bonus days
Cons
Under staffed
Mitchell was a great place to work and grow
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2018
Mitchell was a very friendly place to work. Everyone was open and eager to share their experience. Flexible hours great supporting Managers and plenty of opportunities to grow and learn.
Pros
Flexable schedule
Cons
in my role the job involved travel
n/a
Medical Support 3 (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXApril 5, 2018
I left a good Job and was laid off after 1 year. I enjoyed what I actually did, however coworkers were in so much competition and it was remote so one would think it would be no drama, it was lots of drama there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitchell International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight