Mitre Corporation
71Above average

Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA143 reviews
The Most Challenging Aspects
I currently am supporting a very politically charged program within IC ITE for the ODNI. We are responsible for developing and implementing a common desktop across a community consisting of 17 separate and disparate agency's ranging in size from 45 to several tens of thousands of personnel. Adoption is required, but setting and maintaining expectations throughout all levels of leadership is a constant challenge. Also each agency wants their requirements met first and fully, not willing to accept that the goal is a common desktop environment that leads to better information sharing and collaboration.
A company that will challenge you to grow everyday
Great place to work...challenging and interesting work, top management who work hard to help professionals grow, benefits are top notch, pay is competitive, and the "Really Smart People" that work for MITRE will challenge you to excel intellectually and professionally. That's the measure of success...intellectual growth. You can't help but learn from the talent MITRE has...PhDs abound in an amazing variety of disciplines...engineering, mathematics, computer science, artificial intelligence, robotics, linguistics, management theory, public administration...the list is endless. Many are internationally known in their fields. I personally learned a lot in many technical areas I would never had explored otherwise.

From an human resources perspective, the company is extremely flexible with work-family balance...never an issue to deal with family matters. MITRE is very flexible--in fact, encourages--telework when clients allow it. The only exception are clients that require work in a SCIF...the work has to be done either on the client site or at the company facilities.

The one thing MITRE lacks is entrepreneurial environment...being a FFRDC, it is only allowed to do federal government work and does not compete with the for-profit contracting firms. In fact, MITRE acts as an extension of its Government clients, provided in-depth technical expertise to government managers and executives. As a result, if you're goal is business development and becoming a "rainmaker" in the hope of moving up the corporate food chain, and making lots of money, MITRE may be less than ideal.
 - more...
Not what it used to be
Identity crisis. A not for profit that wants to behave like a for-profit company. No direction and no commitment. Projects constantly initiated, only to be abandoned halfway through to move onto some other 'shiny, new' thing.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Culture that despises change, high expectations and zero support/guidance from management
Very healthy productive work environment
Very healthy productive work environment.
Open discussion and sharing thoughts are one of essential part of our teamwork. Challenging work with flexible work hours and fair pay make it an ideal part time positive job. Not to mention the management support and assistance when needed.
This FFRDC competes with Industry
Like any organization their number 1 priority is their own self interest. They routinely compete with Industry although as a Federally Funded research and Development Center (FFRDC) they are not allowed to do so. Everyone knows it - bring it up at a MITRE meeting and everyone will smile and change the subject.

MITRE is over the top obsessed with identity. Expect identity to be a large part of your career profile and advancement potential.

MITRE seems to think they are smarter than everyone else. I once heard a chief engineer at MITRE say, "on a phone call or a at a conference, everyone assumes the MITRE person is the smartest person in the room" (no they don't btw). The engineers at MITRE are no different than the engineers anywhere else. The management at MITRE is not as good as the management in industry.

There are a large number (a very large number) of federally funded projects that are just adult sandboxes. They are not providing any value to anyone. Example - there was a two year project on advising a large federal agency on "business architecture". The MITRE side of the project was staffed 100% by individuals whose only business expertise was reading articles about business. It took about a year to decide what business architecture was. The only thing that was ever produced was PowerPoint slides. There are *many* projects like this at MITRE.

There is an attitude at MITRE that "industry is bad". MITRE employees with virtually no real world experience think it is their job to criticize the companies and the individuals that are creating and producing.
Striving to keep the world a safer place......
I've enjoyed working with a great group of people and the job was a great experience. I enjoyed taking a number of classes and learned some new skills.
Great career starter
MITRE works on a variety of projects to promote the publics interests. They work across many different sectors which allows for variety in work, with great people. They value work life balance.
Good pay
Good company, great pay, very innovative and diverse. The company really cares about the wellbeing of their people and have a great benefits package for their full time employees.
The Corporation has lost its way. It's about profits, not people.
MITRE used to be a good place to work... a great place. Leadership changes and a focus on production over the workforce has soured that culture. I am not coming back.
Technical work environment
Know your stuff, do your job well, speak when spoken to and go home. High security, confidential information throughout facility, always be cautious of conversations with who and where.
My summer internship here was really great.
I interned here over the summer. MITRE is a great company that extremely values their employees. The hours were very flexible and I learned so much during my time there about coding and network security.
Sadly poor Managers in HR
When I was in HR it was sadly run by those who were more about the political game than the people. I left due to a long commute with no ability or perceived ability to work anything else out as well as lack of management I could respect. My managers were poor managers without the right attitude to have the team succeed. I stayed for a very long time due to the business I supported and my coworkers, truly they were some of the best I have ever worked with
A company in transition
This is a company that is in a transitional period. The old ways of doing business are no longer working for this company and it has been trying to re-brand its identity for some time. The latest initiative is to re-brand as a company of inclusion and diversity. I feel this is a step in the right direction although there are still those at the company who are not ready for this particular level of change and the end result are pockets of resistance.
Provide an opportunity become strategic advisor
It is a good place to work to grow as strategic adviser. There are many domains open to become domain experts. In addition, the organization train us to become better leader and manager.
Changing environment
The company is trying to implement a lot of changes and believes it needs to change the culture. Since our culture has been to provide unbiased, technically excellent engineering advice to the government, I’m not sure how changing it to something else will be better. The CEO seems to believe he’s some sort of management genius who is revolutionizing the company, when in fact, he’s destroying what was a great organization. Very sad!
Productive and friendly workplace.
When I was employed at MITRE, I had the opportunity to learn and get educated. This company offers lots of opportunities and benefits. They offered in house classes for the employees that kept us updated with new technology and computer software. The managers and engineers I worked for were very understanding which made it easy to communicate with them and get the work done. The environment was very friendly. I feel very Blessed and thankful that i got the opportunity to work for MITRE. I highly recommend this company.
Changing culture is concerning. Leadership seems to be lost. There is a shift toward a profit driven model versus a non profit model. If you are between projects it is concerning.
Garden-center boutique consultancy under the guise of a non-profit
Typical projects and engagements revolve around helping the Government operate more effectively and efficiently (like in private sector). The hardest part of this job, I suppose is no different than any other where analytic and project management skills are needed to manage change and modernize transformation -- which is often times spent figuring out how to eat the elephant - or what is the best way to go about eating the elephant. This may be important because the elephant has expressly stated that he doesn't want to be eaten.
Excellent Place to Work
MITRE is an outstanding place to work where there are many opportunities to utilize current skills and to learn new ways of doing things. The benefits are very competitive and our colleagues are world class!
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
The culture can at times be challenging. The culture of the organization is the single most important element in a company. If the culture is not perceived as one of inclusion, growth, and forgivable, then this causes disengaged and low-morale in the workplace. I found that, depending on where one is in the organization, some of this negative culture exists.

Saying that, I would still recommend working at this company as you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
hard to work your way up
finding it difficult to get a promotion even though i have a degree. i have seen many get promoted without a degree. culture at mitre is changing and no longer a place where you can work your way up in your career. i have applied for numerous positions at MITRE only to get turned down because i do not have enough experience even though i have a degree.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
salary is terrible
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitre Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
4.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight