Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

Good place to work no upward mobility
LEAD BEHAVIORAL SCEINTIST (Current Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 24, 2018
Good people great mission. Hard to advance. Some very cut throat people advance. Good work life balance. Can telework for most managers. The work is generally meaningful and a good variety.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
some cut throat people
Going Away Parties!
Systems Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MANovember 12, 2018
If you like socializing right now is a great time to be at MITRE. I've been to at least one going away party every week for the last couple months and I don't think its going to end soon, and I know of dozens more actively looking to leave MITRE.

This was a place that most employees felt good about working for and the longevity of employees made that evident. Supporting our sponsors and the mission were things that addd to a sense of pride in our work and how we supported the federal government.

That has all changed since our latest CEO. Between forced early retirements, RIFs and treating staff like contractors that need to find their own projects otherwise be let go due to no funding, the atmospheres is extremely toxic. Our management thinks no one can do the job so micromanagement is rampant and if you don't like it, they have no problem replacing you with a contractor. We actually had a contractor withdraw his resume for a leadership position after working here for a month and realizing what h*!! it is.

Meanwhile upper management has a new incentive plan where they get bonuses for delivering on goals. Goals like reducing cost by cutting 20% staff. They also started a new communication plan "encouraging" lower level managers to stop employees complaining on sites like Indeed and others.
Pros
Benefits like retirement and health insurance are still good, but being nibbled away at
Cons
Seeing too many good hard working loyal people being treated as if they are worthless.
Mitre
Senior Office Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2018
A great place to work. Working with the government in solving the world's problems, to make it a better place. MITRE is a technology and engineering company that competes with Industry.
Room for advancement, Excellent Pay
Executive (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 25, 2018
Mitre has an amazing group of professionals within it's company from a wide field of expertise. You can grow from the bottom up or come in as a professional and advance to the top.

HR is not very good at keeping your information (or EEO issues), confidential. If you talk to them, you might as well put it on Facebook. The Executives need to appreciate their support staff and be mindful that people are not robots - they have feelings and needs and live outside of this company.

If you have anything to complain about, you honestly cannot trust many people, (especially the executives and some of the EA's). If you want honest help, go to the people who are working far below the Executive staff - that's just the truth. The cut-throat things I've witnessed is sickening so be careful with these "mind" professionals, because they play a lot of mental games with people. Sometimes position and titles can make a person think more highly of themselves than they really are.

As always, it's not the company or the programs that are necessarily negative - it's the people. The company as a whole is great but keep to yourself if you have issues. People and their toxic personalities are what make an office a place to work, or not.
Pros
Good Pay, Room to Advance, High Tech, Free Parking, Everything is on-site, Exceptional Cultural Balance
Cons
Not good at training, HR Dept. needs an overhaul, TOO much drama on the Executive Floor
Great place if you fit the mold
Printed Circuit Board Designer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAOctober 22, 2018
I loved my job. I would still be there if not for 2 things:
1. My commute was over 50 miles each way.
2. My supervisor. No people skills at all, and I did NOT trust him.
People focused place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 2, 2018
MITRE is in reorganization mode, whereas it used to be a place for a 30 year career with satisfied employees, it is currently going through needed growing pains and a technical upgrade. Most of the change is due to the hard charging new CEO. Still a great place to work known for collaboration, very smart people, people focused and great benefits.
Pros
New updated cafeteria, new fitness center on site
Difficult place to work with poor and disjointed management
Lead Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 24, 2018
MITRE has also been in a state of reorganization for more than 2 years.

Top heavy organization where the senior leadership has very little business acumen.

The result is lower level staff being squeezed with low moral.
Pros
Currently - None
Cons
Constant fire drill environment, reorganizations and low employee moral
Not the same MITRE
Security Industrial Security/SSO/TS/SCI (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 19, 2018
I have been employed at MITRE for 29 years. My past 10 years have been nothing but changes. Changes can be good and necessary at times but my department was making changes on the fly then changing again and again, I have done 6 different jobs in the last 3 years in the security field due to changes. I current am working in a SCIF due to someone else getting laid off. I love what I do and have learned a lot here at MITRE, but...I think it's time for me to make my own change. Thank you.
Pros
retirement
Cons
no advancement, poor raises, absent management
Corporate-wide focus on working for the public good
Electronic Records System Application Architect (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 17, 2018
Hierarchical structure, with many levels of management. Most work done in teams, with some collaboration; a lot of individual contributor contributions possible. A great deal of autonomy given to define and tackle work problems, with approvals of Team leads.
Not the company it once was
Director (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 14, 2018
Good people doing important work. Very poor executive leadership and decision making particularly in the COO and CFO roles that are adversely impacting corporate culture and quality.
Pros
Awesome intellectual horsepower, good place to learn, different technical domains
Cons
Quickly declining infrastructure, financial operations and quality of work life.
Gret Mission, Bad Management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 9, 2018
MITRE rarely promotes staff, and senior management operates like an old boys club. There are good opportunities to work on different projects, and there are good people, but it's overshadowed by bureaucracy and favoritism.
Work life balance great
Senior Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 4, 2018
Work life balance is great. Life Insurance is great. Retirement is great. Neglect to promote hard working support staff. Great company for engineers.
great place to work
Senior Economic Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 30, 2018
21 days PTO to start plus 8 holidays, up to 10% match on 401K, great work/life balance, opportunity to learn new skills. There are flexible work arrangements.
Stagnant Corporation
Group Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 25, 2018
MITRE's culture is a hybrid of government and academia, that has continued to slide into obscurity over the past decade. The new CEO's push for change without removing the deadwood that continues to pull standards down, has resulted in Operations vs. Line Organization infighting at one end and passive-aggressive protectionism at the other. MITRE offers a lot of good things on paper but the current environment makes working there unpalatable.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Dysfunctional management, lack of career growth
Fun and productive workplace
IT Infrastructure Intern (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAAugust 15, 2018
I spent the summer interning here and I learned quite a bit and had lots of fun. Management is very helpful and there are lots of intern events along with activities like Hackathons and 3D printing challenges.
Pros
Flexible schedules, full-time employees get to work from home 1 day a week, subsidized food
cliquish atmosphere difficult work environment
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  New Carrollton, MDAugust 8, 2018
position varies for the benefit of thieves and the managers who cover it up. Managers change their minds and stance to fit their friendships and family. I learned to adhere to my morals, written policies and my years of customer service to continue with my positive motivated work ethic.
Challenging and rewarding place to work
Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 31, 2018
Excellent place to stay abreast of the current state of technology and utilize all of your skills. Diverse culture and great work life balance. Project based environment and must be willing to look for new work/ opportunities.
Pays lip service to caring about employees
Technical (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 27, 2018
MITRE will do the minimum to help employees. Much depends on who your direct supervisor is. Some good managers, but if you get a bad one, look out. No one will intervene on your behalf. Supervisors are given very little structure/guidance regarding how they manage. MITRE has some programs/benefits in place for employees, but also many restrictions around them that make it difficult to use the programs/benefits.
Not a good place unless you're an engineer
Office Support Staff IV (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 24, 2018
They are so busy hiring engineers that they have forgotten about the folks that have been here for years and have given their heart and soul to this company.

If you are not an engineer, you basically do not count. There is no growth in this company.
Pros
No growth, no respect unless you're an engineer
Several issues
Subcontracts Administrator Contractor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 7, 2018
While the pay was good, issues with management not responding to requests or issues. Job advancement had problems where favoritism was involved. Job culture was bad, either people kept to themselves or was very cliquish

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitre Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Mitre Corporation.

Powered by Comparably