MModal Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Don't Bother Working Here
Healthcare Documenttion Specialist (Current Employee) –  Work at home positionAugust 18, 2018
This used to be a good company to work for until the introduction of Voice Recognition. It has been a downhill slide ever since. VR is not good for the hospital setting...too many accents, dialects, etc. not enough proper training on the equipment and how to dictate at all, providers are not held responsible for their sloppy, mush-mouthed, speed demon, dictations, but the MTs are expected to be 100% perfect and make no mistakes, know exactly what the dictators mean/are saying, know the proper spelling of everyone on earth and their address and phone number. MModal, nor any of like companies, pay the MTs a decent/fair wage and expect far too much for what they do pay. We are nitpicked to death over literally every little period, comma, semicolon, colon, a, the, etc.
Pros
Provide computers to employees, direct deposit, pay is always on time
Cons
Below poverty pay, no fair/desired advancement
Terrible pay
Healthcare Documentation Specialist/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 16, 2018
I have worked for them for many years and gone through the bankruptcies and mergers. The pay rate does not match my experience and outstanding accuracy rating. It’s depressing.
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Horrible pay
HORRIBLE place to work - worst ever!
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 11, 2018
This company is ridiculous. It's impossible to make any money. If you depend on your salary here for a living, you're going to starve or live in the streets. You also get no time during your shift to even go to the bathroom without clocking out. If your fingers aren't typing, you are "not producing" and cannot be on the clock. You have to clock out to find answers to questions you might have about what you're doing. You have to clock out if you need to snack (diabetic). You have to clock out to call your supervisor for any reason. You have to clock out to go to the bathroom. You have to clock out for EVERYTHING if you're not typing. They say you're nonproductive if you're on the clock and not typing, and you have to make up all time during your shift where you clocked out. If you don't meet your weekly hour requirement, they won't file your time sheet - which is another nightmare. Time reporting is on line, and that program is also ridiculously complex. You have to research and enter most information on your patient demographic screen, but you don't get paid for that. You don't get paid for normals/standards. You can have a 60-minute dictation several pages long and only get paid for 50 lines or less. If you work part time, there's no paid time off. You have unpaid days if you want to take them. Management is horrible, and their QA is the worst I've ever seen in 30 years of transcribing. I'm told their QA people all over the world, so this one may be trained differently than that one, and they're not consistent, so you might get charged with an error for this  more... today and be told it's the correct way tomorrow or vice versa. You're not allowed to discuss anything with QA; you have to go through your supervisor, and even though he/she may agree with you, it's up to QA to change your score, and it never gets done. You get charged errors for every little thing, especially commas, and evidently the way I was taught in school years ago is not what they're teaching now, and the commas, most of the time, make absolutely no sense. And with all this, you have to maintain a 99.65% accuracy rating. I have no idea how many lines you're required to type yet - still trying to get used to the platform! These people have no clue. I've heard they're about to fold, being associated with Nuance, who is also probably going out of business. Evidently, they're very closely associated and both horrible companies to work for. Just look somewhere else for a job if you like to eat.  less
Pros
None.
Cons
See below (or above, whichever applies).
Very much enjoyed working at MMODAL
Solution Sales Specialist/Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 2, 2018
The technology is what made me interested in MMODAL and it is very good so I was excited to sell their offerings of which I had a good background in. MModal provided good training around their technology and I learned it well. I became certified on all of their products CAC, CDI, CAPD, FES and Transcription
Pros
Great technology and a solid place to grow
Cons
VP and the CEO
A company that is very hard to work for.
Medical Transcriptionist - Tier III (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 22, 2018
MModal continued to require their transcriptionists to type faster and produce fewer errors. This caused an extremely stressful work environment. They also did not pay competitive wages.
A good (not great) job
Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNJuly 19, 2018
As an implementation team member, the overall work is enjoyable and at times challenging. Most of the team members and immediate management are great to work with and the complete virtual environment is a huge benefit.

However salary increases are always minimal or non-existant, the latest benefits package is not good and career advancement is almost non-existent
Pros
Working from home, with a pretty easy going environment overall
Cons
Poor Benefits, raises and upward mobility
I have done medical transcription almost all of my working years.
Healthcare Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TN 37067July 19, 2018
I have continued to do medical transcription as my job because I love doing it. It has always fascinated me. When I first started with Mmodal, I was part time and was paid per report and also was paid for accrued time off/vacation. Little by little, throughout my years with Mmodal, formerly Medquist, pay rate was decreased across the board, paid time off was taken away and pay for internet access was discontinued. As with most companies, cutbacks had to be made. But I continued working as an MT because I love doing it. You work from home so you control your work environment which is great. The most fascinating thing about transcription is the report content, I love the medical field. The most difficult part of the job is learning/understanding the different dictating doctors.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Productivity pay which can be a stresser with long dictations, the cutbacks were not a motivation.
Nice place to work
Medical transcriptionist/editor (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAJuly 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for Mmodal but was laid off in 2013. I was one of the few part-time employees left that was laid off. I enjoyed transcribing operative reports the most. I did not have any paid vacations.
transcriptionist
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLJuly 16, 2018
typical 9 to 5 job but did run out of work in which had to use PTO to make up time lost. Communication in regards to letting you know you lost your highest paid account was not made.
fast paced with little training
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  virtualJuly 15, 2018
Fast paced without the benefit of management assistance on escalated issues or workflow. If you make a mistake you had better be watching your back. Layoffs come quickly and without notice.
Pros
pay
Cons
management musical chairs.
laid off
Radiology Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeJuly 10, 2018
I was laid off from this company. The company did not provide enough work for its employees. Not sure what else to say to fill up this review on this company.
Not a great place to work.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  I believe their main office was in Tennessee.July 1, 2018
MModal is a difficult company to work for. As soon as a person gets used to the mix of accents, specialties, and the area of the account assigned, so you can get some speed, you are switched to a different account in a completely different part of the country. I did learn to be more flexible and how to look up local companies and references more quickly, but the longer I worked there, the more overstaffed the company seemed to be and the harder it was to get reports. It became very difficult to put in a full day, which was especially frustrating while I was dealing with watching my father, who was always trying to get the car keys or cook or go out the front door.

There were some days that I was still online hours after my normal time, just trying to get in time with some reports. Then I was written up for not putting in enough time without notice.

On weeks that there were enough reports, I suppose when other people were on vacation, I liked the job. I actually enjoyed transcription.
Cons
Their medical insurance was so expensive, I couldn't take advantage of it, so I had none the whole time I worked for them.
Virtual Scribe
Virtual Scribe (Former Employee) –  VirtualJune 13, 2018
Today is my last day I can’t do it anymore. The expectations are too high and you get very little in return. If you make a mistake they come down on you like a sledgehammer and they have this “thing” about you punching in as if you’re trying to get “free” money when in actuality you may as well be working there for free because the pay is so little . And keep in mind we really aren’t instructed as to exactly when to punch in during the training period. No benefits for part time employees. The only positive thing I can say is the ability to work from home and the nice senior scribe that I was shadowing with. I’m done I’m glad I found out this early on to save myself down the road. I have never been this stressed about a job before in my life.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Almost everything
Loved working from home
Medical Language Specialist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 30, 2018
I worked out of my home transcribing and editing reports. It was very helpful working from home when I was raising my children. I worked very hard for the company but honestly felt like a number and not a respected human being. I always give 110% of myself to my work and take pride in whatever I do.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Not many benefits, no raises, etc.
Expect too much from a human
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Liberty Townshp, OHMay 4, 2018
My job was okay at first with MModal as my previous company was acquired by them, so at first was okay because my position really did not change but then after 8 months had to be re-trained to learn voice recognition editing, which in itself is totally different than transcription. I feel the company expects their transcribers to be robots and 100% perfect and it is just asking too much, as humans are humans and going to not be able to be 100% all the time.
Pros
Pretty good benefits for a at-home working based company
Cons
Standards way too high, almost un-achievable to a human being.
Production based
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 25, 2018
Transcribe and edit medical reports at the comfort of your own home. The managers were really nice. You need to produce a lot of reports in order to be successful.
MModal review
Medical Transcriptionist/Medical Editor (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 20, 2018
It seems that the harder you worked, the more they expected of your. After a couple years there, salary was cut significantly across the board, with majority of work being speech recognition, claiming that SR did not take as long, when often it could take even longer. I tried to work whenever needed, especially when extra help was needed for certain time frames, but this did not seem to matter to them. Very inconsistent QA, one time it is not an error, the next time it might be a critical error.
Pros
good benefits, 401K (not always match)
Cons
Poor pay, high expectations but no rewaqrd
Work at Home
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 13, 2018
Not paid comparatively to similar jobs Long hours. Paid per line. Management was very helpful. Stayed in communication with other employees. Accounts were difficult, doctors, accents, etc.
Stressful and demanding, money-driven employer with no care for employees
MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST/MEDICAL EDITOR (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 9, 2018
When I first worked for this company they were great. They were flexible with schedules of work-at-home moms and you heard regularly from supervisors and got good feedback. Then a few years in, we started seeing a revolving door with supervisors... and we heard less and less positivity and more and more negative feedback and demands, even though they would tell you that you were among the best of the MTs they had IF you asked them directly. Then they didn't want you to take bathroom breaks or anything - just clock in on the exact minute, kill yourself for them, and clock out. They changed the rules for bonuses so that it was nigh impossible to achieve and always found some reason why you "didn't qualify" even though you made line count. There were several years where no raises at all were given, yet the top management were given bonuses of hundreds of thousands of dollars (nearly equivalent to the $300K-$400K they were making in salary). This company really fit the need of my family for the first several years, then it became a necessity to continue there, and finally the best thing I did was quit to save my sanity.
Pros
Working from home, insurance, Pto
Cons
Very negative mgmt, unfair pay and bonus scale, enforced strict schedule adherence (taking away some of the benefit of working from home, esp. with kids), constant pressure to produce more and more without an increase in payscale
Awful
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FLApril 2, 2018
This was an awful company to work for. My supervisor never returned my calls when I needed help. There was not that much work and you would get put on another accounts even if you weren't familiar with another type of transcription.