Mobile Destination Employee Reviews

Structure is horrible and management is worse
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 18, 2015
I have worked for previous sales positions and working for MDI was the worst job I have had. The district manager I.G. was very lazy with no sense of sales and was expecting so much of employees. It was nice to get commission for only 3 or 4 months of the year because as soon as you met your goals one month, the goal would be 3k-4k more the next month while still having slow traffic. Customers would rather go to corporate as we could not bill to account or give the sales pricing corporate had on their phones. You do not get anywhere near $16 an hour. At 8.50 an hour and a promise of a dollar raise that never comes plus the 3 months of commission, it is not worth the high effort they require of their employees.
Cons
No vacation or PTO even for management. Low pay for associates and management.
Don't get trapped!!
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARDecember 26, 2017
I hesitated to invest my time into this company after reading the reviews. I discussed this with the person who interviewed and hired me. He spoke about his personal experience with the company. It sounded good and understanding small businesses, I could understand some of the inconsistencies and nepotism. What I experienced was an extreme nightmare. I worked open to close a lot. I was a salaried employee so I made less or just above minimum wage in a management position. If you are a manager of a 3 person store, you acquire the sales goal of the missing person or split it with the hourly associate. Sales goals are not consistent and change. You may not get your goal at the first of the month and commission structure was inconsistent. Support is not always readily available so you have to be very resourceful.
Pros
If you like being non productive and getting paid for it, this is a great job.
Cons
Traffic bursts, extreme nepotism, inconsistent commission structure, unrealistic expectations...
Avoid this company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 30, 2015
Bad training, low pay hourly and little chance for commission. You have to be one of the family to make any money then you can do whatever you want. Store without internet? Don't care. No air conditioner? How about a box fan and some plastic bags? No store phone? Oh well. Try to get a hold of someone and your just spitting in the wind. Store management isn't treated any better so don't think advancement is a good thing. The moral of this story is working at Walmart would pay more and be better.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no recognition, no support
If you have another job offer with another company by all means take it.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 16, 2016
STAY AWAY, especially if you have sales experience!

If you really want to sell phones or you have experience selling try the corporate route instead (better pay, and less B/S with paying commission). The $16/hour Mobile Destination is advertising can only be attained with being paid $8.50-$9.00/hour plus commission.This is part of their deceptive tactics (lack of transparency) in an effort to attract good sales people with the promise of a decent wage. Even if you are one of the few that makes commission, I think you can probably make that elsewhere without the headache of upper management trying to sell you on their rudemetary sales tactics, training, marketing and/or inferior inventory.

Of course the decision is up to you, but remember "Buyer Beware!"....
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
lack of pay and benefits
Fun and rewarding
Management (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 18, 2015
I've been with the company for some time now and in all honesty compared to any other dealers out there the compensation structure is straight forward and rewarding just like any job you just have to perform. The company is growing and with that comes a lot of opportunity for growth. There is a lot of spiffs and other incentives to help you push and performe and lots of fun when they spin the price wheel.
Pros
Lots of spiffs, incentives, great pricing on devices to help you be successful, comp plan that is straight forward and easy to understand, lots of opportunity for advancement all you have to do is perform
Cons
Some days are long but that comes with any retail sales job
Great fit - if you're desperate and starving.
Sales (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 7, 2016
Never had inventory. Benefits and pay were a joke. The "$16/hour" is a blatant lie. There was ALWAYS a new loophole to avoid paying commissions. Worked at a store in a high-end, well-to-do suburb with 2 dozen competing stores within a 1/2 hour drive. Company's stores seem to do well when there's no competition in the area, in the sticks. Expected to sell refurbished 2-3 year old phones to customers wanting brand new, top of the line models. Told to push to cancel customer's existing insurance to push their own "extended warranty" and insurance policies. All management above the store was completely incompetent. Huge turnover. Routinely had to drive across town to pick up merchandise from other stores, not reimbursed for mileage. Ownership were more concerned about their other business ventures.
Pros
Store was always quiet, lots of time to bond with coworkers.
Cons
Literally everything else.
MDI is a Family
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I have read some of these reviews and wow! I can tell you that this is a fast paced company and everything is always changing! Considering we are constantly expanding the opportunities to grow with the company seem endless! I know the amount of money you can make is limitless. I am not related to the CEO but I do feel like I am apart of a family when I talk about the company I work for! Yes there are people is this company that are kin to one another here and there, not just within the corporate office and management but that is everywhere. Considering this company started in a mall Kiosk and has now stretched its way across 3 different states and is still expanding beyond that i am proud to be here and see what new opportunities await me. Honestly, if I were to ever start my own company I would want my family to be apart of it as well! That is one of the things that makes this company just that much better! They understand family and they treat you like family!
Pros
Great Benefits, Home away from home atmosphere
Cons
Absolutely Nothing
Great place to work with plenty of advancement opportunity
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 17, 2017
Ok, so I have worked for this company since October of 2016. In 3 short months I was promoted to store manager of a location for my hard work and dedication. I am not kin to anyone in the company so the reviews that say only family members matters here are not correct. The company as a whole is a family whether it be by blood or not. Upper management is very approachable and there anytime you need support. The job is going to reward you based off how hard you work and persevere to be successful.
Pros
Commission, Management, Culture
Cons
Chargebacks
Do not work here
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 30, 2015
Like both said, it's family run, and they'll do anything to keep your commission. I was there 6 months and the only person in the location to constantly hit 100%. When I asked about the benefits at 6 months like we were told the district manager who was owners brother said it's now a year read the handbook we reserve the right to change policy at any time without saying anything. Very shady family and business. And they say 16 but it's really 8.50 an hour they will start you.
Cons
Poor management, poor pay
Not a pleasant experience - Kyle, TX
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXJuly 12, 2015
The typical day was pretty boring in Kyle, TX. The location was pretty slow with customer flow. We spent 2 weeks in training and had to be retaught many things as the training was pretty bad. When called for the job they mentioned management positions, of course they told everyone at this new location that, but brought in a manager from Nacogdoches. The benefits we were told we would receive at 6 months was all a lie, when we called the district manager, who's the owners brother, referred to the company handbook and told us wait till 12 months as they hold the rights to change policy without noticing anyone, they told us this the week of our 6 month mark this. Also they require you to give coupons to customers but do not tell you it counts against your number for commission you could lose out on a big part of it because of this. Because the location is slow and lack of help from anyone above the store manager, the district manager would try to make us cold call people through a phone book to come to the store. I would not recommend this company for anyone unless you can not find a job anywhere.
Pros
90% of the time store was empty not much work
Cons
gets boring, required to cold call, loss of comission, no help from corporate
Great place to work if you're looking to advance your career.
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  South TexasFebruary 23, 2016
MDI has been a great place to work. It's growing by leaps and bounds so opportunities for advancement are very available for people who are willing to work for them. Is this a perfect company? No, of course not but that really doesn't exist. The owners are really down to earth and very caring people. The job itself is exciting and fun if you have a great personality. Working with people is an everyday thing and here they help you become a expert in reading people. My experience here has been nothing but positive and I would recommend this job to people looking to start a fun, fast paced career in the wireless business.
Pros
Paid training, discounted wireless service, opportunities for advancement.
Cons
not a good place to work especially if you like your effort and hard work to be praised
sales (Former Employee) –  crockett txMay 26, 2015
terrible place to work, and terrible people to work for they wont give you the raise after your 90 days when they are supposed to do a review never gotten that and arent very reliable atleast my dm was not!
Pros
hours
Cons
everything
Don't waste your time !
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 4, 2016
Poor management, poor compensation, will try at all cost to take what you have earned. All good reviews here were forced and created as a task with a deadline by owner. You are required to sell used phone for the same price as a new one. Don't waste your time
Pros
Cons
Compensation, commission, communication, liars
Extremely High Turnover
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Porter, TXFebruary 12, 2018
Location had no manager for the past 7 weeks that I was there. The district manager forced an employee to work an entire day off the clock, and thru their lunch breaks. Large portion of your pay is based on commission, but then they don't pay out over half of your commission earned due to "decelerators"
Good environment and good opportunity for great commissions
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 17, 2015
As an employee for more than 7 years, I have nothing more than positive feed back on this company. They go over and beyond to help employees, regardless of any kin. With any growing company, there have been moments of stress. But through strong leadership and great atmosphere and the people I have come to know is the number one reason I'm here today. Great Pay, Great benefits, flexible schedule what else can I ask for. I have respect for all our leaders and corporate staff.
Pros
Good Pay, Great Benefits, Flexible Schedule, Awesome co workers
Cons
Chargeback's
Family owned and operated, this family is very "well off"
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 28, 2015
This company used me and my sales ability to their advantage, which most sales companies do. Except this one put me on salary so they wouldn't have to pay me overtime, I was working everyday open to close alone with no days off, I asked several times for help I was told they didn't have anyone to send that could help me. Then they refused to pay me my commission which would have equaled $1326.21 but I didn't earn enough in profit for the store to pay the rent or the bills for a kiosk to bad that I'm friends with the mall mangers and said that the rent was only so much yet I had made almost 4X the amount I doubt the internet bill and electricity bill were that high but I suppose they were because I never saw my commission or half the check I should have gotten. I found out I was pregnant and quit because my health had been declining already the day I quit there was someone from another store there in about an hour, but again I thought they couldn't spare any help.
Pros
Verizon wireless is a good phone company
Cons
Everything except Verizon services sold there
Fun sales enviroment with great benefits
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 17, 2017
Customer satisfaction is key in sales, and Mobile Destination trains you well to help you achieve this. Sales goals are reasonable and attainable if you dedicate yourself to being a salesman and not just a clerk. Pay is great so long as you hit your sales goals. Benefits are good and come at a decent cost.
Pros
Bonuses, Flexible scheduling
Cons
Slow days, near constant training when not selling
This company offers great opportunities!
Area sales manager (Current Employee) –  VariesSeptember 17, 2015
I have worked for Mobile Destination for 10 years. I am not family and have been promoted several times due to my hard work and dedication. I can go on for days about great things this company has done for it's employees and families. They have sponsored softball teams, football teams and academic programs for many of the employees that work for them. As a rep I don't ever remember missing a commission check. This is a sales job and does require effort to be successful. I am over 7 district manages that have all been promoted from sales reps then to managers and now District Managers. Only 2 family members are part of leadership with this company and they got there by having stores that were number 1 in sales. Not because they are family. They provide a clean and state of the art facility for you to work in. If you don't make commission it's because you didn't try. I have also witnessed this company help employees that are struggling financially and need help. All in all I am proud to work for such a great company and hope the negative reviews don't drive people away from a great opportunity. Some people don't understand business and what it takes to provide jobs in this economy. Mobile Destination has a great track record and has been in business for 14 years. They provide great benefits, 401k, and paid vacation. Best company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Great contest, fun and friendly environment, you write your own check
Cons
None if you work hard!
Productive, flexible, fun
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches TexasSeptember 17, 2015
The best company I have ever worked for! The hours are great, flexible and I get to make as much money as I want. Meaning that if I am doing my job, I get paid. The company is what employees make it be out to be, so I am always positive, work hard and love what I do. I am sure we as human beings have the liberty and intelligence to make anything great!
Welcoming environment
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TX 75964December 8, 2017
Working for MDI has been great, everyone is willing to help others out as well as provide necessary training for new jobs. The company is well managed and i enjoyed my time!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mobile Destination. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8