ModCloth Culture reviews

Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 14, 2018
Worked in Maintenance. Loved the work but no room for advancement.

Good company culture, amazing benefits before the Jet buyout.

Wouldn't recommend now considering Walmart owns Jet.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Growing company
Outbound Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 18, 2017
4/10 schedule is a favorite
Management is comparable to most places
relaxed culture
Pay needs improvement
Great people to work with
Growing opportunities
Don't work here.
Shipping Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 26, 2017
I've worked at ModCloth for 5 years, gone through many system changes and many many lay offs. Due to poor financial decisions, this company isn't what it used to be. The culture is amazing, but employes are very under paid and over worked.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Everything else. Seriously.
The best thing about working for Modcloth is the Office Culture
Sourcing Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2017
The office culture is pretty much the only reason to work here. The people are really nice and most actually take an interest to make you feel part of the ModCloth community.

Management is unreliable. (get what they promise you in WRITING). You may be told you are doing a good job one meeting and then chewed out the next. Their standards and practices are arbitrary while their expectations feel more like a moving finish line rather than a goal.

Compensation is low ball however the unlimited PTO is offered to balance their wage history. CEO is a bit of a pig but he means well (in his head anyway).

There's a good chance at having a good work / life balance since you're expected to come in around 10 am and most leave around 6pm (if you're not running reports).
Pros
Office Culture, Unlimited PTO, Work Life balance
Cons
Compensation, Leadership Team
Youthful, lively, vintage fashion boutique in downtown Austin.
Service Associate/Runner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 13, 2017
Very enjoyable work experience. Fairly typical fashion retail fare with an online twist.

Very supportive and responsive management team, healthy work environment with plenty of learning opportunities.
Great team, perks don't outweigh company losses
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2015
The people at ModCloth are amazing, talented and hard working. Unfortunately, the company tends to only recognize these people in candy and cupcakes, not competitive compensation (tech team excluded).

Management could have done a better job recognizing wins and goals met. Had a very positive experience with ModCloth, loved my job and I do wish them the best in their harder times.
Pros
work-life balance, dogs, work from home opportuinities
Cons
not many raises, little job security
A positive start to the job ended in disappointment.
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2014
Great benefits, they cover everything and are dirt cheap. Unfortunately the great benefits mean they don't feel the need to pay a competitive wage. Good people- most everyone there below the management level were a blast to work with. Alot of people there are driven to succeed and truly want to be part of making ModCloth a better place to work. I've never made as many friends at a job than I had there and know for a fact that I'll remain friends with most of them.

Working for a startup company is at first exciting due to the possibility of advancement with hard work and effort. Unfortunately it becomes clear after a while that it will only get you so far, and after that hard work goes unrewarded. Those that continue to advance are the ones who "play the game" and kiss the right peoples butts. I found myself towards the end of my employment working at an unreasonable pace because the hard work that earned me a lead position also led management to put unrealistic expectations on me. I watched others sit around watching youtube videos and goof off while I had my head down getting the tasks done that were essential to keep the company running.

As with most of the other reviews, I completely agree that one of the biggest problems is favoritism. The majority of the department managers at the FC have great resumes, but in fact do very little on a daily basis. This gives them time to BS with people the majority of the day. They start to make friends and pick their favorites. Those favorites are given free reign to goof off and have no fear of not meeting their job requirements.
  more... It is the worst work environment I've come across as far as cliquishness. It's so bad that most of the time it feels like high school. That's partly to be expected with such a young work force, but it's a consistent problem continues to be ignored.

Working in the Fulfillment center for so long led me to one big realization. The ownership places little value on the warehouse (shipping, receiving, etc). When one owner is the "tech guy" and the other is the "fashionista", there is no one to care about the blood and guts of the company. The FC is the one consistent part of the company. It's what brings in the merchandise and gets it to the customers. Ownership, however, invests all their time and resources into constantly overhauling their website and taking new approaches to what they are buying to put on the site. They over-invest in the creative and tech aspects while the people who put in the real work are overlooked, and that is why they continue to lose good people. The harder you work, the more you will go unappreciated.

I was recently one of 70 employees laid off. Instead of letting go the overpaid people who are making poor decisions and leading the company downhill, they let go the people who actually did their jobs and made the company better. The way they handled the layoffs couldn't have been any worse either. They held a company meeting right after lunch announcing the layoffs. They then asked everyone to go back to work for the next 2 hours and wait to hear from their managers if they were one of the unlucky few. They seriously expected everyone to just go back to work like nothing was wrong and wait to hear if they were getting axed? When they pulled us upstairs to give us the news, they could not have been colder and more unapologetic. As negative as my opinion of the company was prior to this, even I could not imagine these layoffs being handled so poorly.
Pros
Free lunches, bring dogs to work, parties
Cons
favoritism, unprofessional HR department, too causal, management not taken seriously
Fun and relaxed work environment
Processor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 27, 2014
I've learned so many leadership skills working here. Servant leadership is a different type of leadership to practice.
My co-workers and very welcoming to new members. The hardest part of my job is letting the temporary people go; they're usually all so awesome!
Pros
ModLunch, Great health benefits, company awareness