Modern District Financial Employee Reviews

Great colleagues, beyond that, not so much
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 3, 2018
This job is exactly what I had expected, with a few caveats. You are told it's 50 hours a week, but that's closer to 60-70 with all of the driving added in. You are told, and it's even in the job posting, that for first year employees, there is a guaranteed income. Well, after a month of working, that's definitely not the case. The "guaranteed" income is going out with other sales agents and piggybacking off their sales. If they don't sell anything, you don't make any money. That is not "guaranteed". The turnover is insane, most agents you work with have been there maybe a week or two longer than you have, and ALL of them are struggling financially while the managers and up continue to claim it's easy money. I'm confident that for someone who does not have financial responsibilities going into this job, or a family to be around, then you will do very well here. However, for myself, waking up at 430am, leaving at 6am, and not getting home until 9-10pm, and not seeing a paycheck while I go through the "survival period", it's just not realistic. They truly are a great group of people willing to help you learn, but I can not recommend it for anyone who needs a reliable source of income, as there is a chance that you will not make any money.
Pros
The people
Cons
The risk
Convention was a blast!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 23, 2018
Just got back from convention - a week long trip in Aruba! It was awesome starting with the professional relationships that I built to just relaxing in one of the most beautiful resorts on the planet. MDF has helped me grow, and our IMO American Senior Benefits gives us so many options - the MDF / ASB combo is spectacular. Looking forward to getting even more people to convention next year. On the road to #1 in the country - #TheMDFWay
Pros
Great Leadership, Renewals, Solid first year income, Teamwork
Cons
Learning curve (which MDF helps you with), need to be someone who wants more out of life than just getting by
Control
Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 3, 2018
Having the ability to control my future, build my business but with people who truly partner with me is incredible. It takes a lot of hard work especially in the beginning the the rewards are worth it. Being able to build residual income is true security. I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity to help people. It allows me to be very proud of what I do and to sleep well every night.
Pros
Helping people and building large income
Cons
Hard work in the beginning
Fantastic Opportunity
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 21, 2018
I'm excited to part of this team! I'm making more money than I could've dreamed of, and the management has been outstanding. We go out and help people everyday, and make a good living doing it. I can see myself being a manager someday.
Pros
Money, Support, Training
Cons
Rejection
Happy Client
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMarch 24, 2018
My Agent did a great job for me! Saved me money on my Medicare Insurance, and my investments. I went into the office, and I very impressed with how professional the office was and the people. Never had an issue with customer service either.
Pros
Great Agent, Good Serivce, and Insurance Cost
Cons
I don't have any problems
Good Opportunity
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMarch 10, 2018
Finally I found a place where I can make some real money in Northern Michigan & finally get my wife off my case about it. 50K is very doable here first year. We sell a lot Medicare Supplements, and there are more seniors going onto Medicare everyday in this area. I'm looking forward to being able to work with 401K rollovers & annuities. My Manager has been doing this for a long time, and splits his business with me. Also, he helps me close my appointments. I can see this working out. I'm glad to be a part of MDF.
Pros
Good Money, Consistent Income
Cons
No Health Benefits
Long Term Career
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 12, 2018
A typical day is fast paced, and always something new. In the office we set our appts, have progress meetings, and do training on the various presentations. There are great mentors here, which helps speed up the learning curve. Management is supportive, fair, and tries to make the environment as fun as a business can be. The culture is a healthy competitive one. The different teams are striving to be number one, yet everyone regardless of team is willing to help with a question.
Pros
Good Support
Cons
Phone. Face Rejection
Career
Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 8, 2018
I'm new to MDF, and the experience has been great! Out of college I was looking for a career I could sink my teeth into, and I've found it! Everyone is professional, and our managers are know what they are doing. I was worried I would have to leave the area to make $50,000 plus, yet I've found it here.
Pros
Good Training, and help
Cons
A lot of studying, and phone rejection
Exciting
Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 7, 2018
Just happy to finally be part of a team that wants to do well. Most of my other positions I've had seemed stagnant. MDF is nationally ranked, and I want to be someday too! It's exciting working with people who go the extra mile. The money is good too!
Pros
Team Environment, Looks like opportunity to advance
Cons
People are going to say no to you.
Fun, Competitive place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 6, 2018
If you want to work, and have fun doing it this is THE place. The haters out there crack me up - one person put that we dial out of the yellow pages. They obviously never worked here - no yellow pages in sight. I like my manager, and team. We are all motivated to do well, and I'm learning from some of best in the business. Future is bright!
Pros
Good Training, and Good Money!
Cons
Have to face rejection
Great Experience
Associate (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 5, 2018
I've seen some negative reviews, and I don't know what that person is talking about - This is for sure not a scam. I've seen a couple reviews like that - I think they are looking for a free handout. Everyone here has been great. I get to help people, and make good money doing it. I received good training, and my manager splits her commissions with me. I get paid every week, and I know what I need to do to keep progressing.
Pros
Good Training, and Team Culture
Cons
Hours, and have to be ready to work
great place to work for committed people
agent (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 7, 2017
This career has a great opportunity for compensation and advancement as long as you are willing to put in the work including much driving and studying
Pros
great pay, supportive management, better quality of life
Cons
drive time, lots of calling, fast paced
Best Sales Opportunity in Northern Michigan
Manager (Current Employee) –  862 S. Garfield Ave, Traverse City, MI 49686October 31, 2017
Modern District Financial provides world class training from industry-leading professionals - a great opportunity for those with or without sales experience. The executive managers of the company have a combined 65 years of experience in the industry, providing a clear vision and dynamic culture. This company is ideal for those who have a good work ethic and like being part of a team. MDF provides fantastic upside income potential and opportunity for career advancement while helping the community. Agents average 50-60 hours per week, so would not be an ideal fit for those seeking 9:00-5:00 hours. The growing senior population in Northern Michigan is expected to generate exponential growth in the insurance and financial industry in years to come, so Modern District Financial is ideal for those looking for a successful long-term career.
Pros
Job Security, Career Advancement, Income Potential
My experience has been great.
Managing Partner (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIOctober 29, 2017
I have been at MDF for 6 years. I started brand new in the career coming from the military. My first 6 months was tough, just like many other jobs, but well worth it. My most recent 6 months, I made more than an average doctor, and more than an average lawyer.

Here, I have recieved all I needed to improve my lifestyle. I bought a new home, and a new car, and take my annual vacations to Vegas, Orlando, Aruba, etc. The culture is one of support, training, good advice, and friendly peer-to-peer competition. IF you're tough minded, and wiling to work hard to become successful, then there is no better place to learn how to do it best.
Pros
No degree required, On the Job Training
Cons
Getting started can be a challenge.
Sad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 22, 2017
Makes you pay for training if you leave which is 2000 dollars. They want you driving all over and put in 14 hour days. If you like to only work and be paid poor then I’d say you will love it here!
Pros
Zip
October 30, 2017

MDF does not make anyone pay for training. In fact, we split our commissions with a new agent starting to make sure they are making money. This starts day one after someone passes their exam. MDF will not split commissions with someone who misses multiple days of work in their first week, quits, and expects to receive compensation. This particular gentleman did have a long drive in, and this obstacle was discussed in the interview process. There can be longer days, and this is not a typical 9 to 5 position. This was also discussed in the interview process. An agent should expect to work 50 hours per week.

horrible
Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 7, 2017
they don't care about the clients. they only care about making a sale and getting the most out of their clients that they can. instead of helping people they just help themselves.
July 10, 2017

Modern District Financial follows all codes of conduct set by the State of Michigan Department of Insurance, and NAIC. We have an A Rating with the BBB for stellar customer service. MDF holds itself to high standards which includes putting the client's needs first.

Amazing place to work with an even better staff
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 19, 2017
Modern District Financial is an amazing place to work! It is truly the first place that I have worked that where everyone is out for each others and the clients best interest. Unlike most companies that have a "cut throat" business model, Modern District Financial is based upon bettering yourself and others you work with through synergy rather then dysfunction. I thoroughly enjoy coming to work each and every day to help better the community and ourselves. The root of MDF centers around the prestigious core values that employees and management are expected to uphold in every aspect of life inside and outside of work to benefit yourself personally and professionally. If you ever have any questions or want any help from any of the management staff they are very welcoming and forthcoming with giving you the tools you need to succeed in the business and meeting your professional goals. MDF strives for nothing short of excellence simply because that is what the client deserves.
Pros
Commeraderie, Pay, Professional Working Environment, Helping folks in Need
Cons
If you like to work alot
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 8, 2017
Working this job is hard work, a lot of cold calls, driving and being a way from your family. If this is what your looking for then its the job for you
October 30, 2017

The position does require a lot of studying. We are giving our senior community financial advice. MDF takes this responsibility very serious, and expects our agents study so they are competent. Our agents do make phone calls, and face rejection. This isn't a surprise to our agents since it's discussed in great detail in the interview process. Our agents do work on average 50 hours per week. The payoff for our agents is above average income, and weekends / holidays to spend time with family.

Great opportunity
Partner (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 17, 2017
Modern District Financial is a great company that allows their employees to grow and become successful. They give you all the tools to make a great career for yourself. One of the best things about working for MDF is the opportunity you have to move up within the company at whatever pace you're comfortable with. The work ethic and camaraderie among the employees adds to a sophisticated and enthralling workplace aided by excellent management that is both hands on and off. This allows for vast personal growth and development. The fast paced environment and the constant opportunities open doors to make great money. This is a job for dedicated and result driven people.
It's a great place to work!
Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 15, 2017
If you are willing to work long hours, study hard, and put in the time it takes to be successful then Modern District Financial is the place for you. At this company you have the opportunity to have a positive impact on seniors lives while being compensated well. You have the freedom to work in the areas you wish during field days, while having a professional working environment during the office days. My family and I are thankful that I have started a career with this company.
Pros
Professional working enviorment, Great compensation, Continuing education
Cons
Long working hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Modern District Financial. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2