Modern Market Employee Reviews

I don't care for it
Guest Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  DC areaFebruary 27, 2019
Myself and a few coworkers know almost the entire store like the back of our hands without the pay to show for it. Management could be better and they love the people who don't do their job but get sarcastic with the ones who work their butts off.
Pros
discounts
Cons
what isn't wrong is the better answer
No benefits or loyalty
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 10, 2018
Very poor management, have worked for six years no loyalty in return. Inconsistent hours, and policies. Management is always changing along with silly little rules.
Cons
No benefits
Great workplace fun people
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 2, 2018
Working at Modern market can get quite intense since you’re downtown and ALOT of people go there but it is satisfying in the end because you know you made so many people happy with doing their food exactly how they wanted.
Pros
Cons
Can be a bit intense
Not the best
Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 1, 2018
The mangers didn’t treat you right. You make one mistake and they treat you awful. You’re over worked and under paid. They will never email you back no matter the issue, or call you back. I high Suggest not working for this company.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Terrible pay
Healthy Food
New Hire Trainer, Shift Lead in Training (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 20, 2018
If you work food industry and you like an open kitchen with customer engagement, find a ModMarket. I worked at their 2nd location, and we had a phenomenal staff after our original GM moved stores. Its a kitchen, so you better be ready to get behind and still work like a madman with a smile on your face. One of the only restaurants I once worked at and still go back to eat the food.
Pros
Food, healthy people, awesome to work for a Colorado original company.
Cons
Food industry
What a great new company
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CO 80920October 17, 2018
Great managemet, Great food, The most clean restaurant i have ever worked in. well organized and very flexible. such a positive place to be and grow. A+
Pros
great food, great customers, good managment
Cons
late hours
The most despicable management imaginable.
CATERING MANAGER / BRAND AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 8, 2018
The most despicable management imaginable. I was manipulated and basically forced to work outside the description of my job every day or else be threatened to be fired. To contact customers, make all food independently and deliver as well as many more exhaustive tasks I had to also do the job of other employees without thank you or any hint of appreciation. The management here will manipulate you and tear you apart to make you feel like the job you are doing is never good enough - consequently making you work harder for any form of positive affirmation. The tasks became impossible and there were absolutely no goals to be set. I was eventually so depressed that I spoke to my manager about this lack of work sensitivity and was immediately fired due to what I was told "incompetence to authority". Good riddance to the most horrible work life I have ever experienced!
Pros
half priced meals... SOMETIMES
Fast-Paced
All-Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 8, 2018
A typical day at Modern Market starts by stocking whatever station you have been scheduled for that day. Lunchtime is generally very busy but you cannot allow yourself to get overwhelmed, luckily there is generally a slow period in between lunch and dinner to collect yourself and restock if needed. The hardest part of the job is dealing with catering orders and large online orders while dealing with present customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers come up to compliment the speed, efficiency and the food that we provide.The workplace culture is that of any other short-order kitchen.
Pros
up to $11 in free food, with some restrictions, 401k and chances for advancement and raises
Cons
short staffed, sometimes don't get a break, long work days
Welcoming and accepting culture
Catering Lead (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 14, 2018
There have been some staff changes recently that could have gone well, or could have gone poorly. The company ended up making solid choices that progressed the friendly, cooperative environment in stores as well as holding true to the company's original intent. I enjoy working there.
Pros
Shift meal
Cons
Industry turnover is high in general
Mostly busy with poor management who stress out their crew and takes advantage of any kindesss showed
Certified trainer, prep cook, line cook (Current Employee) –  Glendale, COJuly 5, 2018
Split shifts so you never have time to get things done in life, never a consistent schedule, and raises are almost not a thing. And they also hire and keep people who can not or will not do their job as exepected with no consiquence.
Pros
Free shift meal
Cons
Too many to count

Want to know more about Modern Market?

Ask a question
Nice environment people are nice
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 27, 2018
Love this company...The food is very healthy, the staff is on point well educated and nice very helpful. The store always clean and very pleasant..The managers are 100% sweet and understanding
It’s nice
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 4, 2018
This job is for more for kids who have no need to pay bills. The workers are great and the management is fair. You can get certified for things that you can take elsewhere
Pros
Breaks and great food
Cons
Amount of work is too much for the pay
Fun and clean environment to work in.
Guest Services Team Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 20, 2018
The workplace culture was what kept me excited to come into work everyday. I loved the company values such as clean eating and a clean environment. They treat their employees with respect and care. Not to mention the food is amazing.
Pros
Free meal for every shift.
Cons
Employee discount was significantly decreased.
Worked there just to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10458February 17, 2018
I didn't like working here the customers were rude. The person that was in charge of the prices did not even do them right every week and the customers would get mad. the boss was inconsiderate. I was just working there to work there.
Pros
Cons
No benefits
productive and fun
Team Member, QA, Certified Trainer, shift leader (Former Employee) –  Rockville MDNovember 16, 2017
while having fun with the entire staff its a very productive place. You always manage to have a smile on your face regardless of how bad a rush there is
Pros
free lunch and 60% off
Cons
no healthcare
High-paced fast casual eatery
Kitchen Team Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 25, 2017
Modern Market was a fun and engaging place to work. All the food was fresh and ideal for quick preparation of healthy meals.
The management at this moment in time is not the strongest and therefore this restaurant is still somewhat struggling at one location in particular. However they are trying to be a fair and enjoyable place to work, despite setbacks with organization and leadership. The most difficult part of this job for me was the extremely quick pace and overly high expectations from management. However this work environment was overall structured well and did allow room for growth.
Pros
free shift meals, good pay
Cons
bad management, hard to get hours
Customers sucks, coworkers amazing
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 26, 2017
An open kitchen is a pain to work in, but overall I enjoyed my experience working for Modern Market. I loved my coworkers as well as my managers. There does seem to be a constant change in management that I think corporate could address which makes it hard on the employees sometimes. I did love the majority of the managers and shift leaders, I do think if they were taken care of by Modern Market they would have stayed around longer. Many managers were overworked and overstressed which added stress to everyone else around them. As a team, we make it as best as we can.
Pros
Free food, awesome coworkers
Cons
Corporate isn't the best, no room for growth
Great place to work!
Cashier, Deli (Former Employee) –  Moravia, NYJune 13, 2017
Absolutely loved working here! The owner is very caring, and truly looks out for the best interest of his employees. It was a privilege working there and learning retail in a grocery store.
Pros
great management and co-workers
Cons
n/a
Healthy and Well Balanced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2017
Friendly and well put together. Excellent team and great customer service. Offers healthy food and drinks. Everything is made fresh everyday and you will not go wrong with choosing here to work.
They arent Great
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 10, 2017
Working at this restaurant, I expected to grow as a cook. They refuse to give real opportunities to employees trying to do better. The food served is on the lighter side. We weer told we would be part of a great team. this was far from so.
Pros
Free Lunches, Ok Pay
Cons
Short Breaks, Late hours, easy to be looked over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Modern Market. Our community is ready to answer.