ModSquad Employee Reviews

No interest in keeping employees happy
Tech Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2018
No much in the way of training for the project I worked on. It was very much you telling your manager the client expected you to know this technology before you got the training you needed.
Pros
location
Cons
no benefits
Overall a good company
Independent Technical/Customer Support (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 11, 2018
ModSquad is a good company to work for. You are hired as an independent contractor to work remotely on various projects. You make your own schedule and set the hours that you are available to work. And the best thing is that you can work from anywhere that has an internet connection.

I personally had no issues with management as they were willing to help me be able to work in any way possible and were very understanding of my availability. However, the only drawback is that you are not notified in advance when the project is completed. However, the company does do a fantastic job of finding other projects for you to work on.

The pay is based on the project, and there are full time projects available. Most revolve around technical support and forum moderation so you must be tech savvy and have some electronics knowledge.
Pros
work from home
Don't work here if you have other options
Mods (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 22, 2018
This is the most insane company to work for when they value higher "unrealistic" expectations metrics - quality is based on lowpar training of yourself: reading alot, viewing videos that lasts 2hours of extensive content in 1hour or in a day & some projects you do it for free no pay (when reviewing all that content takes longer than 1 paid hour allowed, smh).

As soon as you done training yourself - you are thrown on the job to excel at your new job in a week, why? Well they are doing quality checks of your work with comments as if you been on the job for 10 YEARS!! with massive knowledge when most projects fold down like wet cards as soon as it starts - or the volume is up and down no consistency longterm in volume - instead you're expected to learn something in 72-hours or less.

Only work here if it's your last option just to get paid while you constantly seek another worthy place for your skills, mental stability of peace, and respect. **They do lure you in promising steady weekly hours, sufficient training, fun place - all Lies!! - When the TRUTH is Msquad is a Draconian type management style. AVOID IT. Its exploitation, wages are too low for type of & amount of tasks required to meet their insane metrics of productivity and quality.

***The positive reviews are probably from their Chosen Tleads or Sr. Mods (NO WAY a low pay, high output, strict company is the best to work at, all Lies) - when their chosen TLeads or Sr Mods that makes mistakes, non-helpful to make them look good so you (a job seeker) can fill in the MASSIVE turnover of positions. They probably dating
  more... one another so its all a click to why they still get on other projects or if you say something that they did wrong -- oh NO, you are called into a manager(s) meeting yes meeting with two or three about all of a suddent a low qr score or productivity to be written up!! Smh? That's not a professional company it's gangster mobster abuse mentality type of company.

With the High productivity from chat tickets to phone calls when you have to jump from web-tab to web tab, review notes in a rush way, why is that? Oh, because you are expected to excel and operate like a trained animal. They don't care about the workers. One day they will be like all those other arrogant companies thats out to use their labor not share in the success of these projects and treat workers more like chickens in farm bin scrambling to survive -- they will experience so much massive low turn over that they have to do their insane projects and wont meet metric goals or collaspe into a joke of no more like the rest.

Find you something better and never look back!
Pros
work at home
Cons
Too many to name
Good job once you get the systems down
Customer Support for a project called MoviePass (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 1, 2018
Training is strictly OJT. You are thrown into the mix and expected to swim. Once you are set up and understand the systems and what is expected of you things go fairly smoothly. One of the problems is Modsquad is at the mercy of their clients and the job may be there one day and gone the next.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no extensive training
It's a great place to work
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  AnywhereJune 18, 2018
They understand how to work as a team in order to accomplish a goal. This is an absolutely amazing place to work. They have fantastic people to work with. They also provide you with plenty of opportunity for growth.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Hour availability
Don't go all-in
Inbound Phone Support/Chat Moderator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 3, 2018
Pro's:
-Schedule when you want to work for the most part
-Relaxed atmosphere, I have yet to be micromanaged or talked down to by management. So if you do as your are told and do your job correctly you should be ok.
-Fair support network, there is no immediate transfer to a higher tier when on the phone with a customer but you can escalate and ask questions other ways.

Con's:
-Pay, saying pay is bad would be an understatement. They prey on people who have no other current employment option and there is no direct way to get a raise. Expect your pay rate to be between $8 and $10 an hour if you are standard remote worker.
-Bennys, there is none since you are a 1099 Contract employee
-Job Security, Been with the company only a month and hours are already getting sacked and dried up. They had an agreement where we had to be within the project for 60 days and work 20 hour a week minimums with the lions share of those hours on the weekends and that was removed less than 30 days with me being on the project which is super scummy.
-If this is your primary source of income be prepared to be without work for weeks/months between projects and have some sort of nest egg to supplement yourself while you tread water with the hundreds (yes, soon to be hundreds of people) looking for a project that only accepts a couple people. One week you can find yourself with 40hours, the next you are lucky to get 40hours in an entire month and over-night you can be without any hours.
Good
(Remote) Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 21, 2018
This company is great for those who want something flexible. They are great at teaching you and helping you grow if you want to. I enjoyed working for them and would still love to if an opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
No Raises, No W2 and can be inconsistent.
Disappointing Place to work
Customer service contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
I started working for ModSquad last year and was removed from a project because a customer asked me to look up his credit card as someone had used his movie pass.I then got accused of taking someones credit card details,but three days later was asked back to the project but I missed the email.I then asked for a letter proving I had lost my job and they refused.They said they had other projects but everytime I applied I got turned down.I re-applied for the company again and they said due to contract issues they were unable to employ me..despite offering to reemploy me!
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
No benefits poor pay
It's okay
Independent Contractor/Moderator (Current Employee) –  TelecommutingMarch 29, 2018
Not a bad place to work. Not a great place to work. I'd probably recommend it as a side gig for stay at home spouses who just need some extra money. It's insanely difficult to make a career here and they have large turn over because of it.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
High stress for low pay. Not stable.
Great place to work if you hate yourself
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  CAMarch 8, 2018
The pay rate is ridiculous (8-9 an hour) and the training you get is subpar. Then when you mess up, you get yelled at by your lead or manager and get an attitude if you ask for retraining.
They expect people to work lots of hours as if this was a well-paying job. This isn't a well-paying job - you pay people 8 an hour you're going to get people worth 8 an hour. Who then have to work a ton of hours just to make ends meet at the sad rate of pay.
They like to lure you in by saying there are advancement opportunities but there aren't any. You could work with them for years and never even make lead unless you kiss a lot of butt or are a personal friend of a manager. One lead was the girlfriend of the manager. She sucked at her job but it shows how bad things are there. If you know someone or kiss butt you might have a chance at advancing.
Pros
You work from home
A great second job!
Moderator (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Working for ModSquad is great, if you are looking for a second job! Warm and helpful management team, and the work is easy most of the time.
I highly recommend if you are working part time and looking for something to fill out that remaining time!
Great place if you HAVE to stay at home to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 14, 2018
If your only option is to work from home, ModSquad is a great choice. There is a lot of flexibility and many different teams performing a variety of services. It is easy to find a team that you can be a part of, but there are definitely some teams that form cliques and it's hard to break into those teams and really be a part of them and advance within the team or company in general due to this.

However, if you're able to get a job making more than $15 an hour, you'd already be making more than the highest realistically obtainable positions at ModSquad without being here for many years. For some the ability to work from home on your own schedule may be worth the lower pay.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed work environment
Cons
Low pay
Good for experience, not for advancement
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 25, 2017
Pros -
Could get a project that's remote
Work from home
Possibility of flexible hours
Could get awesome team of coworkers
Nice variety of projects/clients

Cons -
Low pay
No real opportunity for raises
Projects could end without any warning
Applying for a project at times feels like a lottery
Hard to feel like you'll get anywhere

In general ModSquad was great for getting my foot in the door for customer service or tech support. I worked both in office and remotely and for the most part it was a good experience, but the way management operates is at times super conflicting and there's nothing you can do to really prepare for a project to just be over with. No warning, no heads up, no time to plan and prepare. Its just done, and you have to apply for a new project, if any are available, and hope that you can get back on the pay wagon.
good entry level job but low pay
Moderator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 2, 2017
Good place to work when gaining skills right out of college. They offer work revolving around:

- Forum moderation
- QA testing
- Customer service via phone/chat/e-mail
- Social media engagement

Some projects have you working at an office while most offer you to work remote from home.

While it is cool to gain these skills, you're paid at minimum wage with very little benefits. Company also sometimes has you pay for work materials (i.e. VPN account, supplies, etc...).
Pros
flexible scheduling allowing you to work from home
Cons
low benefits and pay
Fun place to work
Game Tester (Current Employee) –  onlineJune 28, 2017
Enjoyed the opportunity to be able to test games that were in production. The managers were helpful and supportive. It was a great experience and I was able to learn a lot about the processes in creating games.
Great opportunity terrible management
Marketing/Mod/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  From HomeJune 26, 2017
In some ways, this was the best work from home opportunity I have ever had but the managers are TERRIBLE. I broke my arm and needed the first week off, sent in a doctor's note, my then manager forwarded it to someone else and accidentally included me saying terrible things about me. I then quit that project and literally NO ONE in HR even cared. So typical.
Pay is great but exploitation is real
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 24, 2017
The passion put into your work is not recognized,

You are rewarded the same as those who do no work on their shifts,

There is no job security as your whole team might get sacked at any moment if a few members don't carry their share of the workload.
Pros
You have a job, for now.
Cons
Everyone is forced to scrambles like crabs in a bucket for work, You being successful in this means that someone else might starve.
Exciting Place to Work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Work from homeOctober 4, 2016
Most of the other people I worked with were very helpful and nice.

The hardest part of the job was being able to select enough hours to work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours
Great job!
Moderator (Current Employee) –  USAJune 26, 2016
Love it, they are flexible, helpful, resourceful, growing and very innovative! Starting out is low pay but its worth it in the end since you dont have to deal with the ins/outs of traffic, dressing up, being stuck at one place 8 hours a day. That life is so over!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Currently not earning vacation time
Decent
Game Tester (Current Employee) –  HomeJune 16, 2016
It was fine for what it is. I worked at home playing games for them. I tested servers and issues with the games on various platforms.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ModSquad. Our community is ready to answer.