Modsy
46Low
2.5

Modsy Employee Reviews

United States32 reviews
Modsy has one if the best 3D tendering programs on the market. The issue is that they lower their prices so low that they cannot afford to pay their designers well. Yes, it is remote, but to work this hard to not even make $3k a month is brutal and upper management is making a pretty penny.

Don’t be fooled by the fake Kumbaya culture , if you speak up for yourself then you’ll likely lose your job
Do not apply here. The pay is ridiculously low for a high demand of time and work. Company claims to value your talent but will never compensate you fairly for it. When I first started the pay was low but the time was very flexible and you could basically work as much as you liked but the company went through two reorgs in the short 6 months I was there each time offering less pay and demanding more time and adding unreasonable time and energy expect on workers. Just save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.
Initial training process was very stressful and offered very little guidance and feedback from so-called managers. The company's concept was fresh and exciting, but the execution and pay for the time expended was not at all up to par.
Modsy was a good job. I feel like the pay needed to be better, but for most this was just a part time gig. I had no guidance from my management. She either would not answer or gave me standard answers to my questions. It has all the flexibility, but getting rooms is extremely tough.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Bad Management
I worked for Modsy for the better part of 2 years. I started as an initial stylist and worked my way up to Style Network Lead. Absolutely loved the flexibility, and company culture. I'd go back in a heart beat.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
At first, this seemed like a great opportunity even though I guessed the recruiter was overselling it. Long and short of it, you can spend 60 hours in training and get 300 dollars. After being there a month, you only get $35 per room. As a beginner, it took me 4 hrs and the required second design and additional 2-3. It is not the $15 per hour they promised. The extras take a toll, like writing paragraphs to the client. The communication is frequent, which disturbs your workflow. As a disabled employee with a good work record I was given no opportunities to pause as I was constantly reminded I signed a contract, so no matter what I must design one room a month. Needless to say, I gave up my monthly "volunteer" work with Modsy.
From my time at Modsy, there were constant position changes above me, and though they did offer some of the designers opportunity to grow, they ended up letting go of more than half their staff due to overhiring and the company wasn't making enough money.
Lay offs, dishonesty, over-promising and under-delivering, Unable to listen, micromanaging, playing favorites, "it's my way or the highway" attitude, avoids tough conversations, lack of management skills, underpay, denigrate interior designers.
And here we are yet AGAIN with another large layoff within a month of the last when we were told there wouldn't be any more layoffs...at least for a while. This company is a bit all over the place and more unstable than I initially thought. Modsy's projections have been WAY off in what they have said and what actually happens. It is almost like they don't have anyone helping them with their business ventures and projections; if they do then that is pretty sad. It feels like they pull their ideas out of a hat and go..."yep this seems like it'll work". The "higher up's" (CEO and those immediately below) have absolutely no idea what it is like to be an Initial Stylist, a Design Specialist, or anything else. They force change upon you when they have no clue if it'll work or not--because they've never been in your role.

There are so many cons to this job where do I even begin. This job may be for you if: want to have an unstable job and never know if a layoff is around the corner, you like to be reinsured on a daily basis that the company "leads by the heart" and you're told you're doing so well daily to only be told a week later they overhired once again and need to lay even more people off...like you, you like to see your supervisors and leads get demoted right in front of your eyes because they need to restucture, save money, and resize the team, you like to be told the company hasn't been profitable in the 4 years they've been around, you like to work for a CEO who just went through one huge layoff and pretty much just ignored the second huge layoff other then an email
 - more...
Pros
work remote
Cons
unorganized, so many layoffs, sinking ship, higher ups who have no clue
Modsy let go of 130+ employees within a week with no warning. I was promoted on a Monday and let go the following Friday. Their overhead doesn’t warn their leads of anything. They throw them to the wolves.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Modsy?
This is a great company to work for. They are supportive of each other, work great as a team and always helping each other out. The job itself is not difficult and definitely fun.
This company is a joke that doesn't care about its employees at all. Management is unprofessional, and everything from day one is very slapdash. Don't trust this place.
I work remotely for Modsy, I made a good amount of sales in just a month and suddenly laid you off without any notice. They won't let you have overtime but with the big load of work, it's impossible not to work beyond my hours so you will end up working for free. They don't value their employees at all like what they said. Hypocrites!
Pros
Felxible hours
Cons
They laid off employees without any warning so be prepared at most of the time.
Had a hard time being inspired making such a little amount of money. The training took a long time to do and I never was compensated for passing the certification. They pay you the same amount but want you to do harder and bigger rooms sometimes.
I spent so much time during the training for nothing. Their software is not user friendly. They design exactly to user note so their is no point in having designers. Feels like you are playing a bad sims decorating game only to not be paid and have managers answer your questions 3 days later. Not worth the time.
I have flexible hours but I have to commit to completing a number of designs each day. It is remote working and an online platform where designer leads help us along with issues while designing.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
lack of benefits
I spent over 40 hours perfecting the Modsy software during the training week. After spending so much time learning and designing rooms I was told I was not up to the Modsy Standards. The software is a JOKE! It takes so long to design a room because the software is not user friendly. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER APPLYING FOR A STYLIST POSITION. You as a designer are worth more than $15 to design 2!rooms.
Pros
Cons
Software is not user friendly, management is degrading
I've never worked for a company with such blatant disregard for their employees' value. You'll see they advertise every week for hiring, because their turn-over rate is high. They'd rather put money into hiring tons of people and see who survives their rigorous demands. They can make thousands of dollars with every room designed, yet are paying stylists pretty much minimum wage. You only get $40 to design TWO versions of a room, not to mention all the other things you have to complete in order to get that tiny wage. And if you question anything, they're quick to downgrade or get rid of you. On top of that, organization and management is non-existent. I couldn't get anyone to answer simple job description questions, but they have watchdogs to report you if you don't follow the rules.
Pros
Designing is fun, but became stressful once I realized I was making pennies.
Cons
I hurt my hand from all the clicking you have to do with their software.
I really enjoyed my time at Modsy. It felt like I was playing the Sims and getting paid to do so. The community was so warm, welcoming, and helpful. There are design leads that are always happy to help you! Also, the hours were pretty flexible. The company really takes notice of what your skills are, which is wonderful because there are always opportunities to move around within the company ad different projects to help with. I only have two cons about the company, the first being that during the holiday season, the inventory gets low and you're not guaranteed to get rooms steadily to work on every day. My second con is that the company is starting to push affiliate products more thus every room looks the same and the process is more about selling furniture and not designing the best space possible for the client.
When I was first hired I was being paid $15/hr, now compensation is set up on a pay/room system. No matter how long a room takes you to do, you only get paid $30/room. Rushing through the work to finish under the 2 hr mark isn’t really an option since your employment is based on customer ratings of your designs. So if your ratings drop too low you will be fired. There are also so many stylists that there isn’t enough work to go around.
Put in over 30 hours during training to be told I "wasn't up to Modsy standards" so now I receive nothing? What a waste of time! I could've been ACTUALLY working to pay my rent and bills but now I'm behind. SCAM