Modsy

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

A lot of work and time for very little (per-project) pay.

Due to their underdeveloped technology, I was making less than $9/hour. The pay is per-room, which in training feels completely fair as they present their design process to be quick and efficient. I was under the impression that I could make around $20 / hour. What they do NOT tell you is that their completely online platform is in need of a LOT of development. The platform would freeze and rearrange items in the 3D model, adding a lot of time onto your process, and sometimes it would delete your work and you would lose 1-2 hours of work and have to start over, uncompensated for that lost time. Additionally, there was talk of potential to make commission on furniture sales, but I never saw this in my 8 months working with them.I met some very kind people at Modsy, however this often seemed to mask the unfairness of its practice in how it pays its designers. I would not recommend working here if you are a designer who needs/is looking for a living wage.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

No benefits, unlawfully low pay, near impossible opportunity for growth, high turnover

The remote designer contract position is good for professionals just out of school, and those who benefit from remote work.

PROS;- Totally remote. - Somewhat flexible hours. - All material is transparent and easily found to study. -Positive team and supervisor ethic. -Gain a satisfaction from working directly with clients as opposed to behind the scenes. -Opportunities for advancement, depending. - Great as a stepping stone job for young professionals. CONS;-As a late term start up tech company, things are consistently changing and it can be very stressful adapting every quarter to new methods. -Performance expectations are highly detailed and tracked, which leaves little room for personal liberties. Much time is dedicated to carefully recording performance data on the designers end. -The company uses a point system that tallies hours worked versus how many spaces are styled in a given week. To retain your contract you must have a specific amount of points, positive ratings, and conversion (as the man goal is to sell merchandise from the company’s retail partners). This can create a lack of job security since so much is dependent on client feedback as opposed to upholding internal standards. - Most likely you will start out as a contractor and potentially be offered a W-2 role depending on performance. The wages are very low however and not sustainable income, given the complexity and workload the designers are expected to undertake.- Things are fast paced and many folks come and go. A person that is considering this role should be aware that they are very replaceable. That said, a positive attitude, dedication to quality of work, and a strong online presence will get -

No work life balance

The company focuses more on quick turnaround by any means. There is no way to control the influx of rooms that may be assigned and the management will suggest working overtime, without offering overtime pay, rather than cutting back on the amount of tasks/rooms assigned. There is a lack of respect for the designers work-life balance and the superiors are aware that the workload is on an uneven scale. The restrictions and constant micromanagement make this remote, contract position feel very confined. You might as well get an office job rather than pursue this position.

Tiring, Stressful, Not worth it

I've been working at modsy for over a year now and let me just say I don't think there has been a day where I haven't been stressed. They let you have a schedule but I work almost 7 days a week every week just to keep up and stay on schedule getting designs out but you will ALWAYS be behind. You deal with awful customers who can rate you low and that ends up giving you a strike to lose your job. You could literally lose your job any day and there is no opportunity for better pay no matter how long you've been here.

Pros

work whenever

Cons

work all the time

Horrible pay and long hours

They want top notch designs in a matter or 30 minutes. Two designs per customer and they want you to rush it but also want it to be beautiful and fall into the customers budget. Which is usually hard to do. You work long hours for very little pay.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Little pay

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

This company is a great example of boiling frog theory

When I started the pay was very low but I though with high performance that can be improved however few months into the job they started increasing the amount of work significantly with a very high expectations and they kept decreasing the pay from $ to -$ you should make $15 per hour but you will be lucky if you made $7 to 10 hours per hour. We are expected to a 3 days turn around after it was 10 days THAN they dropped it to 24 hours. The workload were 8 rooms increased to 20 rooms minimum per week. Customers are expecting designs slimier to what they see on Instagram which definitely not realistic with their budget the time we get to work on their designs which is around 15 to 20 mins per design ( insane I know ) the line of products they have it’s very limited and outdated which is very boring for any designer to work with! I would make more working at fast food place and at leste get a 2 days off per week since they are expecting you to communicate with customers every single day!

Pros

Cons

The pay is embarrassingly LOW lucky if you made $10 per hour, No benefit, No PTO No area for growth, No real work experience

Run far away

Most sketch company!!!!!! They don't pay on time!!!!!!! No room for growth!!!!! Absolutely terrible systems in place!!!! Horrible communication!!!!!!!

Pros

Cons

All. Run away please

Crazy expectations

Crazy amount of work expected with very little pay. Would not recommend. Also they fired almost everyone that was hired on with me within a few months.

It’s fun to work here but

The pay is VERY low for the amount of work that they give you. You ended up working more than the hour that they want you to and they don’t pay over time. I just feel like they don’t appreciate your talent as a interior designer.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay very low compare with the amount of work

Great company

This company is a great place to get your foot in the door to an online design company. They have a great company culture and mission. It was a fun place to work!

Poor compensation

Pay structure was horrible for initial Onboarding. The work was scattered in terms of quality, due to stylists being any and everyone, some with no obvious talent/expertise in simple style choices.

Pros

Contract, work when you want

Cons

Pay, no benefits, no job security

Creative freedom while working at home

Creative freedom, client integration, amazing software, amazing staff. Wonderful customers and a great remote opportunity. Ability to use software like no other while designing virtual spaces.

Pros

Amazing software, creativity

This would have been a dream job but for the pay structure

The platforms for design are terrific, the product is varied and, team interaction was seamless. But about the pay...It started out lower than I have ever been paid but somewhat reasonable given the flexibility of schedule, the convenience of working from home, and the opportunity to be creative and provide design ideas and solutions to people seeking help for their interior environment. Then they kept rearranging the way we are paid and what we are paid to do so that suddenly you were getting half the money for the same amount of work. Then when the pandemic hit they laid everyone off en-masse. Since then they keep posting job openings. I have applied twice and never been allowed back in, although I had quite a good record and had great recommendations. I realize now it is because they don't want anyone there that would tell the new people that the pay was better before.

Pros

Great team of designers to work with. Lovely product and for the most satisfying customer relations.

Cons

Constantly changing directives; constant push more to work more, faster

Needs Help

The job itself was wonderful. I had an amazing time designing rooms but overall my experience went from exciting to frustrating. They started to care too much about the money and less about its people.

Pros

Fun job, cool software, remote job

Cons

Pay, job security, lack of personal connections

Great employees but lack company vision

I loved working here for 3 years. It was a dream job. The connections I made with people were life long. With all that being said I would not recommend if you are not willing to stick it out. There are constant changes and lack of transparency. There is no job security for anyone but part of this is start up life. The pay is way below grade for what they ask for but I think if you are willing to stick it out and don't end up being let go they would be a great future company when they become more stable.

Pros

You can grow in the company

Cons

Low pay and lack of job security

Don’t believe the fake 5 stars reviews

The worst experience ever don’t be fooled by the fake positive reviews!! You can do better than this!! they have zero respect for you while expecting too much in a very short time. The pay is very very very low no benefits like working at a FAST-FOOD. Wants everything from you while give you nothing in return. Designer deal with the cheapest unappreciative customers and they expecting you to deal with them and make sure they are 100% happy so you go through redesign after a redesign till they are happy while you getting no pay for that It’s a MESS

Pros

“Working for home” at this time you can find better opportunities to work from home than this

Cons

Low pay no benefits no clear guidance they can fire you anytime without any notice or even an email

Great mission, great people, room to grow

I think Modsy is a great place to work. The mission of bringing interior design to everyone through amazing, cutting-edge 3D tech is super inspiring and makes the work more enjoyable and energizing. This is definitely a place where you can have a voice and learn a lot, no matter what your job title is. Starting as an entry-level employee and working my way up, I've gotten to take on so many projects here that I would not have had the opportunity to tackle anywhere else. It's definitely a start-up, so things change frequently and quickly and the environment is fast-paced to say the least.

Pros

Amazing team who truly cares so much, opportunities to grow, ability to work with beautiful images, inspiring mission, great remote policy, good vacation benefits

Cons

Quick changes can be frustrating at times, communication between teams could be better, normal office drama

Great People and Mission, But Some Downsides

Modsy has an amazing vision and mission. The idea of bringing home design to life through a service completely online is great. The products, 3D features, and features have grown exponentially since the beginning, even within the past year alone. The people at Modsy are also amazing to work with. The team atmosphere and inclusive, welcoming environment is great to be a part of. There are so many genuinely good people that work for the company and the almost family-like environment and positive relationships that are built is the primary reason most people stay with the company. Their community initiatives, willingness to let people be heard, and growing opportunities for diversity and inclusion is something to be proud of. The downsides are the constant changes and restructuring. You have to be very flexible and willing to to change job functions frequently. Although the work the company is doing is great, there are sometimes feelings of being undervalued, underpaid, and overworked. Hoping to see changes soon.

Great Company if You Want Growth and Love a Challenge

In a little over a year working for Modsy, I have gone from an entry-level position in the customer success department to securing a rewarding role in the company's marketing team. I'm very grateful for the opportunities I've been given and feel that a lot of the progress I've made at the company is due to leadership taking an active interest in employee development. I understand that Modsy, like all companies, has room for improvement (both internally and externally). Because Modsy is a tech start-up, there are frequent changes to operations that can feel daunting. I know that this kind of fluid professional environment isn't for everyone. If you are like me and enjoy a challenge, a company like Modsy can be an excellent opportunity to grow and develop your career path. I also think the frequent changes at the company makes leadership more receptive to suggestions than other companies. I've never worked for another organization where those in charge were so responsive to employee feedback at the ground level. Overall, I'm happy to be at Modsy and I would suggest the company to anyone looking for a career in tech, design, or marketing.

Pros

Excellent Team, Supportive Management

Good in theroy

Modsy has one if the best 3D tendering programs on the market. The issue is that they lower their prices so low that they cannot afford to pay their designers well. Yes, it is remote, but to work this hard to not even make $3k a month is brutal and upper management is making a pretty penny. Don’t be fooled by the fake Kumbaya culture , if you speak up for yourself then you’ll likely lose your job

Does not value stylists time or talent

Do not apply here. The pay is ridiculously low for a high demand of time and work. Company claims to value your talent but will never compensate you fairly for it. When I first started the pay was low but the time was very flexible and you could basically work as much as you liked but the company went through two reorgs in the short 6 months I was there each time offering less pay and demanding more time and adding unreasonable time and energy expect on workers. Just save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Modsy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6