Modsy

Stylist17 reviews
United States17 reviews

designdesignerremotehourroomchangetrainmonth

Needs Help

The job itself was wonderful. I had an amazing time designing rooms but overall my experience went from exciting to frustrating. They started to care too much about the money and less about its people.

Pros

Fun job, cool software, remote job

Cons

Pay, job security, lack of personal connections

Crazy expectations

Crazy amount of work expected with very little pay. Would not recommend. Also they fired almost everyone that was hired on with me within a few months.

Modsy insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Does not value stylists time or talent

Do not apply here. The pay is ridiculously low for a high demand of time and work. Company claims to value your talent but will never compensate you fairly for it. When I first started the pay was low but the time was very flexible and you could basically work as much as you liked but the company went through two reorgs in the short 6 months I was there each time offering less pay and demanding more time and adding unreasonable time and energy expect on workers. Just save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.

Great Concept; Long Hours; Low Pay

Initial training process was very stressful and offered very little guidance and feedback from so-called managers. The company's concept was fresh and exciting, but the execution and pay for the time expended was not at all up to par.

The new Modsy

Lay offs, dishonesty, over-promising and under-delivering, Unable to listen, micromanaging, playing favorites, "it's my way or the highway" attitude, avoids tough conversations, lack of management skills, underpay, denigrate interior designers.

A lot of work for little pay

Had a hard time being inspired making such a little amount of money. The training took a long time to do and I never was compensated for passing the certification. They pay you the same amount but want you to do harder and bigger rooms sometimes.

Horrible Company

I spent so much time during the training for nothing. Their software is not user friendly. They design exactly to user note so their is no point in having designers. Feels like you are playing a bad sims decorating game only to not be paid and have managers answer your questions 3 days later. Not worth the time.

Modsy is a scam

I spent over 40 hours perfecting the Modsy software during the training week. After spending so much time learning and designing rooms I was told I was not up to the Modsy Standards. The software is a JOKE! It takes so long to design a room because the software is not user friendly. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER APPLYING FOR A STYLIST POSITION. You as a designer are worth more than $15 to design 2!rooms.

Pros

Cons

Software is not user friendly, management is degrading

Horrible Company: low-pay, high-stress, bad management

I've never worked for a company with such blatant disregard for their employees' value. You'll see they advertise every week for hiring, because their turn-over rate is high. They'd rather put money into hiring tons of people and see who survives their rigorous demands. They can make thousands of dollars with every room designed, yet are paying stylists pretty much minimum wage. You only get $40 to design TWO versions of a room, not to mention all the other things you have to complete in order to get that tiny wage. And if you question anything, they're quick to downgrade or get rid of you. On top of that, organization and management is non-existent. I couldn't get anyone to answer simple job description questions, but they have watchdogs to report you if you don't follow the rules.

Pros

Designing is fun, but became stressful once I realized I was making pennies.

Cons

I hurt my hand from all the clicking you have to do with their software.

Mindless Decorating

I really enjoyed my time at Modsy. It felt like I was playing the Sims and getting paid to do so. The community was so warm, welcoming, and helpful. There are design leads that are always happy to help you! Also, the hours were pretty flexible. The company really takes notice of what your skills are, which is wonderful because there are always opportunities to move around within the company ad different projects to help with. I only have two cons about the company, the first being that during the holiday season, the inventory gets low and you're not guaranteed to get rooms steadily to work on every day. My second con is that the company is starting to push affiliate products more thus every room looks the same and the process is more about selling furniture and not designing the best space possible for the client.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Modsy?

Employees are undervalued and extremely underpaid

When I was first hired I was being paid $15/hr, now compensation is set up on a pay/room system. No matter how long a room takes you to do, you only get paid $30/room. Rushing through the work to finish under the 2 hr mark isn’t really an option since your employment is based on customer ratings of your designs. So if your ratings drop too low you will be fired. There are also so many stylists that there isn’t enough work to go around.

Great if you like working for free

Put in over 30 hours during training to be told I "wasn't up to Modsy standards" so now I receive nothing? What a waste of time! I could've been ACTUALLY working to pay my rent and bills but now I'm behind. SCAM

Fun remote position

Overall Modsy is a great company. Everyone in the network is so nice and helpful & of course the added perk of it being a remote position is great! But I will say Modsy experiences it's slow moments so be aware of that! There may be times where you have little to no work, so you may want to have more than one source of income when taking this position.

Pros

Fun, Collaborative

Cons

Inconsistent pay

Wonderful culture - Ok compensation

I LOVE working for Modsy. During the holidays, the work load dwindles very low. For hourly workers like me, it is worrisome. However, those who ask for additional work typically get it in some way.

Pros

Happy, friendly people to work with

Cons

Compensation, unpaid travel for SF meetings.

Workplace culture without the stuffiness of an office

Great online culture for at home job. It's a fast growing start up company with room to grow. Make your own hours, keeping in mind that all in house staff is PST time zone. You are an independent contractor which gives lots of freedom as long as you adhere to deadlines. Communication is mostly web based, but also telecommunication platforms are used for video conferences, screen sharing etc. Collaborative environment with everyone eager to help each other and grow. Top notch training guidelines and portal. Things do change frequently with their software and whatnot, but the team is communicative about those changes.

Pros

work from home

Remote Stylist at Modsy

Modsy was a great job but it required you to have great communication skills through email since it was a at home job. It was very hard to get in contact with people for help or concerns during my initial training. Some what unorganized and the program used to design the homes had a lot of bug and would even erase your designs at times. This required you to re-design, which wasted a lot of time. It was very fun to try something different but now know that the office environment is more my style.

Pros

never leave your house

Cons

no real interaction with people

So fun yet so little $$$

great place to work as an aspiring interior designer. Work from home but there are hard deadlines. less than 20 hours a week is manditory. leads ofen clockout WAY before closing time. everything relies on other people, specfically 3D to make sure the room you work on is accurate before you begin styling which more ofeten than not was not the case. Pay is great and puntual but do not take out taxes. It just comes down to waiting for hours on end with a refresh browser going to see a room pop up and snag it before someone else takes it and then flipping a coin if the room is good enough to work on or not. all communitcation is done online so there are some things lost in text. There are very flexible hours, you make youre own shifts.

Pros

flexible, good pay, understanding leads

Cons

not enough work, leads clock out too early, rooms are often inccorect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Modsy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about Modsy in popular locations

• Modsy