Moe's Southwest Grill Employee Reviews

Found 1,276 reviews matching the search See all 1,280 reviews
Very stressful, long hours, poor management, no call/no show coworkers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 30, 2018
Very fast paced and stressful both with trying to keep up with orders and trying to go as fast as the management wants you to. Always had to stay late because it would get too busy to lose someone or closing would take an extra hour to an hour and a half. Management is terrible, owner acts like a child and won't take care of anything themselves. Management has mental breakdowns in the back. Coworkers didn't care about the job and wouldn't always help customers, lots of no call/no shows, almost always running understaffed. Would go home smelling terrible and the scent never left clothes. Only one 15 min break even if you work 12 hours. Rarely get raises. Only offered 25 cents more to become a manager. Managers are told to give up personal life to come work and to not make any plans outside of work because they will be called in and are not allowed to say no.
Cons
stressful, terrible management and coworkers, one 15 min break, hours
Love the company, wasn't paid enough
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 29, 2018
Moe's was a great restaurant to work for in my college years. They maintain a great environment with friendly coworkers and a (usually) reliable management. I was able to stay with them for a while and get management experience of my own, but after being there long enough you realize how hard they make you work without paying a fair wage in return. Being promoted to assistant manager, I was only given a dollar raise, from $9.50/hr to $10.50. A few months later I was bumped up to $11. For working as regularly as I did, and being an important member of the team, I didn't feel I or any of my coworkers were being compensated fairly. Keep in mind that Moe's is a franchise, so their wages depend entirely on the owner of that particular location. I've heard of Moe's in other towns paying much better than ours did.
Poor management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIAugust 27, 2018
Worked for moes for three years I did become a shift supervisor within 6 months and I did get raises when I asked for a review. I did finally become assistant manager and when I pointed important things out time and time again I was ignored. My manager would serve disgusting food, she was disgusting herself but she now is no longer with the company and neither am I.
Managers need to care about their staff and store when staff is concerned about something it should be addressed!!! The work life balance sucked I would be away from my child all day and night. 11-9:30 at night is ridiculous.
Very fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 8, 2018
Let me start off by saying that I have been working at this company for 10 years. I use to be the general manager at this company for 6 years until I was told that at the spot that i was working at could not afford to pay the salary that I was making. At this time I was offfered to work at another Moes that he owned in Bloomington which was an hour away and I declined.But never the less The owner and I still remains in good standing and I continued to work with him over the next 4 years helping with catering whenever I can. I had fun as a General manager at the job and i was in control over the whole running of the operation that dealt with the store. I did the hiring,firing,training,meetings,food ordering,pay roll, etc.. This was a fast pace restaurant and I met a lot of good people as well as built a lot of relationships.
Pros
free food and was able to take vacations whenever i wanted to do so.
Cons
Always was able to take breaks
Never work here unless you can’t find anywhere else to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 1, 2018
By far the worse place I’ve ever worked. Upper management doesn’t care about GMs mistreatment in the work place, understaffing, not giving raises that they advisertise with job. Good workers are promised promotions and jump thru hoops just to have someone hired outside the company hired over them. They lowball pay, ale u work on off days, and passed the time you get off. Turn over rate is terrible. If you earn pto you will never get to use it and end up quiting or getting fired before so you will just lose it anyways.
Pros
N/a
Fun and Fast Paced
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALAugust 30, 2018
I worked at Moe's for two years then had to move away for college. I would have transferred stores, but I believe that retail experience would do me well. Working at Moe's is a great first job, as the management treated me with so much respect. I got raises every six months, as I was progressing. I have never been treated poorly at the job by coworkers or management, and I would recommend this job to many people, as multiple of my friends have acquired jobs at Moe's because of me speaking so highly of it.
Pros
50% meals, free meals while working doubles or taking shifts.
fun, but its a temporary job
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GASeptember 18, 2018
I only worked there for about 11 months, it was fun at first but became stressful over time. I wasn't payed as much as I would have liked, but it was just a wage job to keep me above water. Management was a bit harsh there but I wouldn't say it was bad. I enjoyed working there with my friend but I knew that I wasn't going to make enough money there to keep me sustained. It was an easy job, you get to yell at people as they come in and say, "WELCOME TO MOE's!" Location was a bit rough for me as well but I liked the people and learned good guest satisfaction skills.
Pros
discounted food
Cons
no benefits, low pay
A college town environment.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 4, 2018
Moes southwest grill gave me a chance when i first came to Blacksburg when no one else gave me an opportunity. I was promised growth within the company and everything looked great until the manager that hired me, left for Richmond Va. The new store manager wasnt aware of the promises given to me prior of their arrival. So i made other plans to try to better my life and opportunities elsewhere.
Pros
Most days were slow, steady and the customers made you feel like you were somebody important.
Cons
No lunch breaks, only 10-15 min breaks, no benefits, and no tip outs on large caterings
Moes
Caterer and crew member (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 14, 2018
I enjoyed being able to cater to so many customers and businesses. I would typically get to the store early in the morning and organize, prepare, and deliver orders. I averaged 1-2 caterings per day and maybe 4 or 5 on a busy day. I was responsible for making a good impression and being on time. I easily made the store anywhere from 200-1000 dollars single handedly on an average day. I would be done around noon and go home and come back to work 4 to close as a crew member and also to do prep for the next day. Usually was a line backer which meant my job was to keep food stocked on the line to serve and to maintain the lobby and kitchen area. Closed store cleaning, power washing and making sure all the details were checked off. What I didn't like was working with unreliable employees who didn't want to pick up their slack or show up so I would be over worked on occasions. I enjoyed the job culture, the work was easy if you stayed on top of it.
Pros
Discounts, tips
Cons
No benefits, not much room to advance
Fast paced and busy environment
ASSISTANT MANAGER/ TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Enterprise, ALAugust 16, 2018
There is always something to do from cleaning equipment to assisting a customer and employees are always friendly and more than willing to learn. Energetic staff with amazing potential in growth and an upbeat scene to work in at all times. Though it is upbeat it can be extremely hectic, especially on the busy days like Moe's Monday where all burritos and burrito bowls are only $6.99 with chips and a drink.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
No healthcare or benefits. Low pay.
Little Room for Advancement
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLOctober 28, 2018
After working there for over two years and having worked every position I was never offered to work at a management position or offered anything more than a 25¢ raise. Also the manger there had her boyfriend come into the back of Moe's and do whatever he wanted which included being rude to the other employees.
Productive and all smiles laughs and family like vibes
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLAugust 2, 2018
Fast paced Work environment I learned to socialize and to deal with money. Management was alright not the best wasn't the worst.work culture was Amazing. Moe mondays had to be the Hardest day of work.Good laughsPositive vibes and felt more like a family at one point of time.
Pros
Positive vibes
Cons
No raises no matter how long you've worked there
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SC 29407December 3, 2018
The people that also worked there were very hostile and I left because the dishwasher was constantly harassing me, without being provoked. I did not get paid enough for what I did, and I was not able to get more shifts if I wanted to. I was there for around two years and did not get a pay raise but my work continued to increase.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No breaks, no pay raise
If you enjoy being constantly stressed then this is the job for you
General Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 24, 2018
It’s only a good place to work if you are just a crew memeber but if you are in any management position be prepared to work 60+ a week with maybe one day off. There is absolutely no benefits all they offer is medical insurance (because it’s the law) but it is absolutely horrible. They pay is also bad, you run a whole store for only 11- 13 a hour
Productive and stressful
Restaurant Services Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 3, 2018
Working here gives you no breaks and constant work. Management was lacking heavily, and nothing seemed to be good enough to satisfy your superiors. Do not recommend working here. Only thing that made the job worthwhile is friends.
Pros
Half of food.
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits.
good food
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 8, 2018
This place has such amazing food! And the service is good too. The food is great and nicely priced. You basically make your own taco or burrito, which is awesome. The buffet of toppings for your meal is filled with a huge variety of fillings for your burrito/taco. Now for the bad comments, the atmosphere is horrific. Fruit flies were everywhere! It makes me wonder if they are just settled in the salsa sitting in the open, no lid or anything to cover the bowls of delicious salsa
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits
Fast paced, always busy and never enough staff
Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 3, 2018
My moes experience was probably the worst. The management is terrible and you only get a raise when you move up to a supervisor or any other position. There's a lot of drama in the work place and it interferes with everyone's work ethic. It's just not worth it at all.
Pros
Half off food
Cons
No free food, rude customers, terrible management
Ok place to work
shift leader (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32822May 2, 2018
It’s an ok place to work for a high schooler with no bills, rent that is due or anything important. Pay is below $9 and there are no official full time positions but everyone is worked in as one most of the time. Management is too chill, and there is no actual respect/balance between management and employees. No respect between coworkers either. You have to be constantly on top of your coworkers in order to actually have them do work, and they are always complaining to each other instead of seeking for management. It’s only when it gets busy that everyone actually works as a team.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No benefits, no full time, no good pay
It was a good experience but bad pay for my situations of living
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 6, 2018
I think i should have been paid more for my living conditions things would be alot better. We had no benefits just a discount on food its not a job you would want to stay at for long.
Pros
Free food and discounts
Cons
Bad pay, short hours, long breaks
If you have another option...
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLOctober 4, 2018
Very dramatic employees, manager fired employees way to consistently which caused for a stressed out crew and up-set customers. Constantly training someone just to fire them. Managers were also rude, snappy, with a lack of empathy or any muster of caring about where the store was, and how we could make it better. Employees would come in stoned, be slow and then complain when they couldn't keep up. Check the back parking lot by the trash for people smoking on break. Half the time the delivery service app's weren't working. I was told to not answer the phone but also handle angry and up-set customers wondering why they can't order or where their order is. Very wasteful with product. Chips are usually old and stale, usually oily because we are forced to batch cook them all at once. And again, have up-set customers and employees the next day. There is a downward spiral going on back there and I can only expect a crash soon.
No room to advance, pay was below average, no benefits AT ALL, usually there past your shift or forced to work doubles (because of all the new hires, being fired.) HORRIBLE communication between ANYONE working there. Nobody ever knows anything. Stressful work environments and co-workers will lead you to a path of insanity.
Avoid this place unless you are so desperate. Otherwise, take any other option.
Pros
Hah, good one. The food taste nice.
Cons
15 minute break, long shifts, intolerable co-workers filled with hours of immaturity, not reliable, unorganized, lost

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Moe's Southwest Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight