Mohawk Ambulance Service Employee Reviews

Mohawk Ambulance
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 6, 2018
Good place to get started in EMS but not a place to work as a career. Gets you base experience but long hours and overtime with no breaks can be very draining.
Good stepping stone
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 20, 2018
the job offers the kind of hours you would expect at an EMS job, they are all over the place. The problem with Mohawk is that the pay is lousy that you have to work at least 50 hours a week to make ends meet.
Not a recommended work place.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 1, 2018
You never knew who you where working with each day as a partner so it was difficult to work effectively not knowing who your partner was about. The Supervisors had the I don't care attitude
good starter place
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 21, 2018
Mohawk Is a good starter place if you have just received your EMT-B certification. otherwise I would not recommend this place as a long term employment place. management does not care about their employees they only see numbers instead of actual people
Long hours with intensive work load
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 21, 2018
Typically working a 12 hour shift, occasionally 24 hours. Physically demanding job from beginning to end.

Start the shift by checking the ambulance. The cleanliness and how well stocked with equipment and supplies is required inspection. Respond with mutual aid or alone for emergency calls, or medical transports. Be able to interact with a variety of people from different cultures professionally. Be prepared for unsafe work environments due to disease, confined space, heavy weight moving, less than ideal work conditions. Safely transport patients to the hospital in a timely fashion/provide ongoing patient care until transferred to hospital staff. Continuously maintain cleanliness and functionality of ambulance once previous patient is turned over to next care provider.

Work environment in the stations is typically a happy, fun, welcoming environment. Expect abrasive personalities along with fresh smiling faces, an interesting mix that works well.

The weekly hours will be around 50 if not more for a part time or full time employee. You can quickly feel the affects of sleep deprivation and overworked physical condition.
Pros
Not confined to an office stuck in a chair
Cons
Long hours, physically and mentally demanding
Busy ambulance service with nice coworkers
Dispatcher/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 1, 2017
A high volume, proffession ambulance service operating in albany, schenectady, and rennselaer counties.
Shifts were long but pay was in keeping with industry standards. Every day was different which made work interesting.
Management was effective and fair.
Because the same people worked the same shifts for the most part employees became very close almost like a family. Due to the long hours we often spent more time together than with our families
The hardest part of the job was the stress levels,
The most enjoyable thing was knowing that you were helping people everyday you were at work. Literally helping save lives evry day you were at work. How many people can say that?
Pros
decent benefits, free meals on holidays, work with nice people
Cons
long hours and high stress levels
My most favorite job ever
Critical Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 26, 2017
I loved working at Mohawk. I met great people and made life-time friends. The work is the most challenging I have ever had and as long as you rare willing to put in the house for continuing education and test, you can advance. The pay is comparable, and you will experience things you never thought you would. The job is what you make it.
Pros
fun place, hard work
Cons
not easy for a family life
Busy and underpaid
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 11, 2017
Working in some tough areas such as Albany, Schenectady and Troy. EMT's are overworked and underpaid. Scheduling is a disaster and they do not know how to run the business.
Many different stations in different counties. Wide spread coverage. Comfortable stations
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 3, 2015
Fun place to work. I would recommend it to anyone that is an EMT/Paramedic in Albany, NY. Providing Basic Life Support (BLS) skills en route to hospital and nursing homes. Emergency and non emergency ambulances.Okay management. Very pleasurable people to be around all over the company. The hardest part of the job is seeing children sick and/or hurt. Working with people in groups. Cooperating with fire department and police.
Pros
Busy, fun, realistic
Cons
management, condition of vehicles
Great place
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 23, 2014
My day would start by checking the ambulance to make sure all supplies was stocked, to filling up the oxygen tanks, to checking the equipment to make sure it's functioning correctly, and to checking the ambulance as a whole for any mechanical issues. What I learned is that every emergency situation is different.
Pros
A lot of downtime depending on the day
Cons
Short breaks
60% transport 40% emergencies
EMT (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 12, 2012
We ended up tranporting patients throughout most of the day and took very little emergency calls. Transportation became interesting when my patient was having a mental concern or was suicidal. I started to ask lots of questions to get to know the person and began counseling them, even when the transport was short. This is when I started to realize that I had a gift of talking to people who were at their lowest point. In emergencies, the paramedics would take over and I found myself more drawn to the family members that were affected by the tragedy. I had a certain way about me that would allow me to talk to these individuals with no judgement. I just set their mind at ease, even if they were on the verge of suicide.
Pros
good benefits even with part-time hours
Cons
paramedics took control of the scene