MOHELA Employee Reviews

Great place
Loan Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 2, 2018
n/a can be discussed ,relaxed open place, great place to work great commute, great benefits, open door policy, great hours great and location..
had the best mangers you could ask for !
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
A typical day at work
Support Services (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MODecember 2, 2018
Typical day at work is working with co-workers. Working on incoming mail, data base entry and processing outgoing mail.
i have been working with the same Supervisor for the last three years. I find it very difficult to work for him. All the years with the company this Supervisor has been the most difficult. Reviews are approximately a month late. No back pay is given for the time elapse. Supervisor is rarely in the department. He only points out error and is not positive.
I feel uptight most of the time at work now. I go into work with a positive attitude. I am willing to work hard and be a team player.
I have a difficult time with negative people and try and go in and do my job and learn as much as possible.
I want to retire but need health insurance.
Pros
Mohela has excellent benefits
Cons
Health Insurance but high deductible. Micro managed to much.
seriously hated it
Student Loan Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOOctober 10, 2018
Very stressful and strict...they didnt like you telling the customers the truth. It was bad vibes, management didnt know how to communicate effectively...etc
Pros
coworkers, Trainers
Cons
not enough pay, bad culture environment, poor communication skills
productive
Call Center Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOSeptember 27, 2018
typical day at mohela call center, very structured no talking just working , inbound and outbound calls. you have to basically ask to do anything outside your schedule. All the managers are not helpful , its a just do it atmosphere. Not the company for me, the class I started with in 2015 all have left except 3 people. The head person in charge wasn't very nice or understanding on some situations.
Company as a whole isn't bad. However, the promotion process could use some tweeking.
Loan Servicing & Accounting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOSeptember 20, 2018
MOHELA has alot of positive attributes, however, work-life balance is not one of them. I also believe a bigger investment directly into the employees would be very much appreciated and well overdue
deal with broke students who cant get jobs to pay loans
Call Center Agent/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOSeptember 3, 2018
This is a fast pace call center where you are micro managed and watched constantly. you are required to sit for long hours of the day and not interact with anybody but the broke student who cant pay their student loans the government so lavishly gives out.
Pros
pay
Cons
low morale micromanaging
Glorified data entry and micromanaging
Loan Servicing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 26, 2018
As a Loan Servicing Specialist you basically start the day out working forbearances and deferments and do that all day long. You receive frequent directives from management on which queue you should be working. There is a strict dress code and you are monitored on what status you are in constantly. Since February 2018 production standards were increased substantially. If you do not meet the incentive level you cannot listen to earphones. In other words you have to earn the right to listen to music while performing essentially glorified data entry. Many times you are trained to work more and different queues. Your work is also judged by your quality assurance scores. Usually that is not a problem. The benefits at Mohela are pretty good and you accumulate vacation and PTO pretty fast. Another unexpected perk you get as a new hire is extra pay when you are not enrolled in their insurance. If you get hired in the middle of the year you will get an extra $2 to $3 an hour since Mohela's government contract requires them to pay out a certain amount per employee. That extra pay will last until you are eligible for open enrollment. Work here if you have a limitless attention span and can type as fast as a court room stenographer to thrive here. Some of the HR dept people are nice but never really did anything about issues I was having in the workplace. Another thing that I did not think was fair is the call center got paid about $3 more per hour than in loan processing. If workers transferred from the call center they got to keep the higher pay. Management was a mixed bag. My  more... main manager was awesome and pretty laid back and really cared. The next guy I had for about a month was uncaring and was really strict about everything.  less
Pros
Good benefits, generous vacation policy
Cons
repetitive work, earning to right to listen to music, micromanaged environment
Fast paced and great benefits
Student Loan Counselor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 17, 2018
Very fast paced and very little down time. Benefits and pay were great just not very flexible hours. Very little job culture and not many chances for working in a team.
August 6, 2018

Thanks for posting your feedback. We do have so many positive things like you mentioned, and it's always great to see employees that are benefitting from things like our tuition reimbursement, fitness center and advancement opportunities.

In our industry with a primary focus on customer service, much of our work needs to be done during specific times of day and onsite. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to share your ideas and thoughts with your supervisor or a member of management.

Sort of a mess
Contracted Loan Servicing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MO 63005July 17, 2018
There is great potential if you are able to fall into the right department. Mostly black women and white men. Feels like being in school. Constant meetings.
Pros
Decent pay although not enough for what is asked of you.
Cons
People annoy you
Stay away
Stuent loan counselor (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJune 29, 2018
When I started in 2017 there were 14 of us in our now only 1 person remains. Training is brutal. You be yelled and screamed at for making simple mistakes. The employees say it's better on the business floor but it's not. They QA EVERY call and nitpick EVERY mistake you make. They give you PTO and sick time but penalize it if you attempt to take off on the same day. Even if you have a doctor's excuse for your absence you will still be written up and it will reflect negatively on the point system if you use your earned paid time! The turnover rate is EXTREMLY HIGH. This place has a lot of cliques and if you aren't friends with the right managers you won't get promoted. Stay away from this place unless you like being micro-managed and nitpicked. You get a raise only if you maintain a passible QA score and if your score falls below passing, they will take your raise back. If you move to another department your raise in pay doesn't follow you.The benefits and pay are good but I don't recommend working here.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Micromanagement, nitpicking, cliques, favortism, high turner over
August 6, 2018

We are sorry that you didn't have a positive experience. MOHELA has consistently been ranked a top student loan servicer by the U.S. Department of Education. We have a reputation of exceptional service and efficient servicing, which has been strengthened by our continuous improvement to our systems, processes and procedures. That reputation was built with the dedication and hard-work of our talented employees. We do offer pay incentives, and outline the guidelines for maintaining those incentives. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Good place to work for
CONTRACT & COMPLIANCE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJune 14, 2018
Room for promotion if you stick around long enough...definitely learned a lot here! I started a great career here and met a lot of great people too! They really believed in me!
August 6, 2018

Thanks for sharing your comments. We agree, we have a wonderful team of employees and many opportunities for advancement. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Horrible place to work
Loan Servicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 2, 2018
I work in CLSP - processing apps.
Let's start with the white noise being played in a non-call center area. Google it, it's bad.
It's always freezing and they don't care that you're cold. They change the incentive program and qualifications on a regular basis. This includes cutting expected bonuses with no notice. They give you time to take off and penalize you for using too much of it. They punish the department for the actions of one or two people. You can get wrote up for going to the bathroom too much. They don't care about employee safety, refusing to have disaster or active shooter drills.
August 6, 2018

We are sorry that you feel so poorly about your experience at MOHELA. We encourage you to share your feedback and suggestions with your supervisor or a member of management.

It was an experience
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOApril 29, 2018
Mohela only cares about meeting their metrics, no matter what. The training management gives to meet those metrics, once agents are released from training, is mainly through emails. Agents are required to read numerous emails that are created by QA while still taking calls. Should an agent give misinformation to a borrower because of some policy that had changed from last week or the day before, than that representive's score would then be dropped by QA and additional coaching is recommended by QA to the agent supervisor. Mohela feels that anything outside of your daily tasks will take away from your duties and the company metrics. If thsse unwanted behaviors continues by any agents, such as talking to your neighbor, calling off alot, using of your time off, taries, constant bathroom trips, being late by 1/2 mins, crossword puzzles at your desk or anything that is not in your job description or that management has tasked you to do, than you will be placed on a P.I.P before finally being terminated. Mohela ia also big on perception. So your first impression will be your last. So make it a good one because their is no coming back from it. So if you are an individual that fits Mohela's image of management, trust and believe you will know it because you will be promoted fast, despite not fully understanding the student loan industry, since it does change constantly.
Pros
Overtime pay, 401k, pension
Cons
Training, management, advancements, Hr, medical insurance
Day At Work
Assist delinquent (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 17, 2018
Receiving incoming calls assisting borrowers with delinquent accounts and advising options to assist with account. Advising borrowers with repayment options and interest accrual. Making outbound calls to inform borrowers of account status updating contact information, offer repayments options, and offer personalized features to assist with account assistance.
Pros
Tuition Reimbursement/Pay Scale
Cons
Point system
efficient work environment
Specialty Services Supervisor (Private Loans) (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOApril 16, 2018
MOHELA was a good place to work to gain call center experience as well as receiving supervisor experience as well. The workplace culture was very strict however, it was appreciated so we could better serve the customer.
very fast paced
Student Loan Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOApril 14, 2018
if you dont like constantly taking calls and abiding by rules dressing professional all the time this job isnt for you ! This job is very strict an doesnt play at all,
Pros
very good pay
Cons
management sucks
August 6, 2018

Thank you for sharing your review. We do have a conservative environment and work diligently to ensure we provide exceptional service and meet the many requirements and regulations in our industry. But, we also try to balance the more serious work with fun for our staff through employee appreciation, holiday celebrations and events. We encourage you to share your feedback and suggestions with your supervisor or a member of management.

Overworked and underpaid
Student Loan Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOApril 8, 2018
Micro-managers walking past you all the time to check on what you may be doing. They tell you youre a student loan counselor but more often than that, you are a COLLECTOR for funds owed on student loans. You get call after call after call with no breather in between because even when people arent really calling in, the company has you set on a dialer to make collection calls out.
August 6, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We do have a conservative environment and work diligently to ensure we provide exceptional service, efficiently manage work, and meet the many requirements and regulations in our industry. We are also dedicated to reaching our customers with critical information to help them manage their accounts. We encourage you to share your feedback and suggestions with your supervisor or a member of management.

Basic Info
Student Loan Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 29, 2018
The hours and operation during the shift was very controlled and there were many punishments for simple tasks such as having to use the bathroom if it's not break.
August 6, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. MOHELA employees can use the restroom at their discretion. When call center employees are unavailable during their scheduled work time, the average length of time that customers are on hold prior to being helped rises. To ensure customers receive timely service and a positive experience, we encourage student loan counselors to minimize unplanned time away from their desks. However, the health and needs of our employees are always important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Have the job of a debt collector with the restraints of a PR specialist.
Student Loan Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 14, 2018
Worked for the company for about 8 months before I ended my employment with Mohela. Training was ok, they kept it exciting enough and taught you how to use the system. Once on the floor, the attitude changes immensely. If your incapable of typing exactly what your saying as well as what your "customer" is saying, you will fall behind. (Most of the issue is the operating system isn't fast enough, you'll fall behind while tabbing throw the system prompts) After every call you have 34 seconds before the next call is forced onto you, and your limited to two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch all at your supervisors discretion. Disciplinary action is extreme; recieved a write up for informing them I might need sick leave the next day; didn't end up using it but, as there was a possibility I could have called in, it put stress on management, resulting in an infraction. Why offer PTO if you can't use it? This job also advertises itself as assisting students with their loans and providing options to help them; when on the floor 80% of the calls per day were outbound calls to collect on a debt. And being a federal contractor, your incapable of responding to the very frequent occurrences of getting cussed out and threatened; hanging up on them will cost you your job. Overtime is mandatory, about 5-10 hours per week. Joined in a class of 23 on July 17, 2017. As of writing this only 1 from my class remains.
Pros
Decent pay, weekends and holidays off.
Cons
Regulated breaks, micromanagement, incapable of performing job because of company policy.
August 6, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry that you didn't have a positive experience. MOHELA employees can use the restroom at their discretion. When call center employees are unavailable during their scheduled work time, the average length of time that customers are on hold prior to being helped rises. To ensure customers receive timely service and a positive experience, we encourage student loan counselors to minimize unplanned time away from their desks. However, the health and needs of our employees are always important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and best of luck in your future endeavors.

poor management all around
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOMarch 2, 2018
Mohela has 30 minute mandatory lunches with very short notice. have a freezing cold work place and change the working schedules for employees all the time with little notice. make the pay incentives impossible to reach for some employees and change those around often too. The managers are not professional and the rules of your job change all the time and then they punish you and take your pay away when you mess up but they can’t even train peps right or give u the correct info..The supervisors are very micro and the Quality assurance team takes away your pay any chance they can find. Some of the female supervisors are very clicky.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else omg!
August 6, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. We work diligently to ensure customers receive timely service and a positive experience, while ensuring that employees have time to refresh during the day. Sometimes, to ensure our customers have the exceptional service for which MOHELA is known, we do ask for employees to work overtime or take shortened lunches. Many of our employees appreciate the opportunity for overtime. Additionally, we are continually striving to provide timely and accurate information so employees have the information they need. Thank you again for your feedback and best of luck in your future endeavors.