MOM's Organic Market Employee Reviews

"Unconventional" means "unprofessional"
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 31, 2018
This company is nothing like what you imagine as a customer. Do not expect any typical company behaviors, including very many processes. The company is unwilling to create them because those are "too corporate". They have convinced their salaried employees who have been promoted that typical benefits, like flexible scheduling for sick kids and the occasional work-from-home day, is something special. It is very hard to get things done because no one has authority to make decisions or changes, and the communication from the headquarters to the stores seems to be one-way. If you need any kind of structure, typical business processes like budgets, or even knowing what the company's goals are, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Free meal every day you work, 30% discount on groceries
Cons
Leadership team, recreating the wheel (or driving without them), lack of trust in most employees
Summary:
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 5, 2018
Great company to work for, although due to being understaffed, the workload could get quite overwhelming real fast. You're on your feet all day, which can definitely be tiring and the scheduling is an issue. Great company message, awesome dedication to environmental restoration and great customers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
scheduling conflicts
Management needs to be replanced
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 23, 2018
One manager will tell you to do one thing, another will tell you to do another. You will be confused and not know what to do. You will most likely get in trouble for their lack of communication.
Pros
Free lunch when you work, 30% discount
Cons
No 15 minute breaks given to you for working 4 hours or more, You clock out to take just a 30 minute break during your 8 hour work day
Convenient and interesting place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 20, 2018
It was an adequate place to work, they just were rarely understanding about situations and didn't do well for people who didn't fit their expectations.
flawed concept
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 2, 2018
They talk about a work life balance but do not give PTO until you have worked for the company for two year. The Manager in Trainings are really assistant department manager or at least function in that role and are way under paid. They do not offer a true development program and really leave it on each person to figure out how to grow and develop with limited opportunity to be trained. There is a big disconnect between people making decisions and the impact of their choice and those working at the ground level in the stores. There feels like a lot of group think and no one wants to voice concerns or problems with choices being made at the highest levels.
Environmentally forward organic grocery
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDNovember 12, 2017
No employee uniform beyond a name tag. Customer service first. No plastic grocery bags (discount to shoppers for bringing your own bags). REcycling, composting and reusing is a big part of the store culture.

The hardest part of day to day working is being called to the front to bag and carry groceries while trying to get your assigned tasks done.
It can get pretty crazy at peak times.
Pros
Free produce (compost)
Cons
Bagging
Great coworkers and customers
Produce Representative (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDNovember 1, 2017
I loved going to work and it's the first job that I felt completly accepted at both by the customers, manager, and coworkers. Great company that is trying to make a revolutionary difference.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
NO foreseeable increase of pay
Relaxed and Fun Work Environment
OPS Manager / MOM's Team Member (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDSeptember 30, 2017
A typical day at work could range anywhere from very slow and uneventful, to extremely busy. On a busy day, one could be occupied with helping customers, answering phones, running a register and helping to get the customer out as quickly as possible, and making sure my staff is happy and working efficiently.

Within the past 5 months my store had a General Management shift, and it went as smoothly as one could hope when taking into account the different managing personalities and styles.

The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with difficult customers, luckily I don't run across these types of customers on the regular.

The most enjoyable part of this job has been the friendships Iv'e developed, the many things I have learned, and the interesting people I have gotten to meet and talk with.
Pros
discounts, learning experiences, gaining real life experiences
MOM's is great
Naked Lunch Food Server (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 14, 2017
I love everything about MOM's is it a great company to work for. Their mission statement are really what they live by, the management is awesome. I really like and appreciate the people that I work with.
Wonderful job
Produce Clerk/Wellness associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJuly 11, 2017
Flexible and fair hours, book talk meetings, opportunity to change job title and move up in the company, opportunities for volunteer work, benefits including: help paying for a hybrid car, mattress, and compost bin
Stressful but very Informative and Influential
Stocker / Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 20, 2017
Every day at MOM's would be a new lesson in life. I enjoyed seeking and answering guests questions and I recommend this business to anyone I meet. I did not like the way management communicated with each other and how they dealt with certain issues between the crew. The hardest part of the job to me would have to be establishing a good relationship with management and fellow coworkers. Even though most of us felt like family. My favorite thing was the fact that it helped me improve my diet and lifestyle even more than I already had been. No hard feelings.
Great learning environment little room for growth
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 2, 2017
Mom's is a great atmosphere to work in but the employee structure changes frequently. Sometimes unorganized and those higher up are not always on the same page. Favoritism is another small problem and opportunity to grow within the company stems from this. Hours are not very flexible and schedule changes are not always acknowledged. However, not the worst place to work but not the best either.
Pros
Customers, Special events, and Discount
Cons
Short breaks, Schedule changes are not always aknowledged, and Favoritism
Okay Place to Work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 27, 2017
MOM's has it's ups and downs. Overall it helps if you believe in their mission and culture. They donate a lot of money to great organizations but sometimes it feels as if they are giving too much and not investing enough in their people. Raises are less frequent now (and by that I mean almost non-existent) and are only given once a year. Often times people are promised raises or future job opportunities that never come to fruition. There are definite struggles between the layers of management and the tension is palpable. The central office is sometimes viewed as a hindrance more than a help.
Pros
Free lunch (in stores with Naked Lunch), 30% Discount
Cons
Bad Management, Bad people stay in their jobs for far too long
Great culture
Nutritional Wellness (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 29, 2017
Amazing team to work with. Great culture. Good Health Care and 30% off organic groceries. Pay not competitive and hard to survive on. Good job for a household that does not require a large income or college kids.
Pros
People and culture
Cons
Pay and some customers
Great Company Culture
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDFebruary 27, 2017
Great store. Awesome employee benefits. Great Culture, free lunches (only at some stores). Great management, family oriented culture. They work with your schedules.
Serious but fun work place
Team Member Trainer (Former Employee) –  Merrifield, VAFebruary 1, 2017
My year and a half working at this company would be one I i can not forget. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and working with some of the management staff.
Pros
Free lunches and Free paid trips
Cons
Poor management
Great Coworkers, work on communication
MIT (Manager in Training) (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 27, 2017
Coworkers and culture are amazing. My coworkers (and my 30% discount) are the only reason I still work here! Management, especially upper/regional management needs to work on their communication to stores. Department coordinators are extremely hands off and non-communicative. A total let down from when I started and thought that working for an ethically minded company meant that me and my fellow coworkers would be treated ethically.
Pros
Generous discount
Cons
Constantly Understaffed, Berated by both management and customers
Great interaction with customers, management needs to be changed
Wellness Consultant (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDDecember 8, 2016
Fast paced, learned a lot about supplements, healthy food alternatives, interaction with customers.
Management needs to work on their management skills, co workers are careless, just looking for a paycheck.
Most enjoyable part of the job is to assist and interact with customers every day.
Pros
free staff samples, discount on food
Cons
short breaks, drama, management made up rules
HR is a nightmare
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 24, 2016
The HR department (if you call it that) is terrible. They do not maintain confidentiality and it's "open door" policy. HR is supposed to have the employee's best interest however Mom's does not.They denied even listening about a harassment claim.
Lots of hard work, but it's fun working with hippies
Produce Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 7, 2016
I really love working with all of the beautiful, high quality organic produce. My coworkers feel like family. I learned how to manage a team and what it means to be a buyer. Merchandising, buying, receiving, and retail management are a few skills I will take with me forever.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MOM's Organic Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.