Monroe County School District Employee Reviews

Great school district
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  SugarloafMay 25, 2019
Great school , great students!
Co- workers all helped one another.

Great family feeling, peaceful.

I was a parapro in special needs class, then switched to substitute teacher for the school district.

Loved subbing at Marathon High the most.
Pros
Nice relaxed atmosphere
Not a bad place to work
English Department Chairperson (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLFebruary 27, 2019
Not a bad place to work at all.
Like I mentioned, it's really not a bad place to work. In fact, I miss the culture, scholar's, staff, etc... The parents are the best for supporting the schools.
Great place to work!
Attendance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLDecember 16, 2018
I would get into work at 7:15 and was greeted by everyone in the front office. Started getting ready for the 7:35 bell. Checked students in who came in tardy. Took phone calls from parents regarding tardy or absences. Processed students who were being checked out early. Printed and Entered attendance for the substitutes for the day. Helped guide our students in a positive way. And dealt with parents on the phone and in person.
Pros
Hours 7:15-2:45
District mangement
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLOctober 30, 2018
Completely has lost touch with teachers and students. Do not have the understanding of how a school should be funded and run. Creates unnecessary bureaucracy and puts up barriers to instruction. Words don’t match actions.
Pros
Students
Cons
District Management
I enjoyed my job as a special ed assistant
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, TNOctober 20, 2018
I spent the day going from classroom to classroom working with students and teachers. I learned tolerance and patience as well as 6th and 8th grade math. Up until this school year, I enjoyed this position more than any job I've ever held. I don't have any complaints about management or workplace culture.
Fun place to work
Bus Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Marathon, FLSeptember 5, 2018
Most of the staff is very pleasant. Some aren't those that aren't make it extremely difficult. Due to there tenure. It's hard to get rid of them it's government work. Even all that said the best job I have ever had. Best of luck. If your moving to the keys do your homework. It's 1200 plus a month for a studio down there and it is going up. Most new teachers don't make it 2 years. Fresh faces every year.
Pros
Relaxed yet productive
Cons
Could not get qualified assistant
I prefer not to share
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Tavernier, FLAugust 19, 2018
Everything has changed. The personnel is different than when I worked there. The manager is different than when I worked there. It was steady employment while I completed degrees.
Pros
prefer not to share
Cons
prefer not to share
The place is great to work at
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GAAugust 11, 2018
I loved working there the place is great plus I love to work so as soon as I get to work I get started on my work I don’t talk to nobody who I think aren’t the right people to talk to
Pros
U get days off when u ask
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and lifeless
Administrative Assistant, Data Entry Personal (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLJuly 3, 2018
Your typical day is you come into an office and see no one. Really do not socialize or make any kind of communication with anyone unless it's via e-mail. On the other hand, there is a lot going on behind closed doors to make our School system great which is what often causes works being glued to their desk. We are working so hard to make things as great and rewarding for our kids as possible because they are the number one priority.
Sub teacher
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Madisonville, TNJune 13, 2018
I loved working at the schools as a sub. teacher. I got to work with many different age groups, upbringings etc. Many different classes. I would do roll call in morning do any work or instructions that were left for me. SO in one day I could teach 9th grade and 12 grade in two different subjects. They would be related subjects but grade appropriate.
Pros
Day work
Cons
sometimes stressful
Good job
Custodian/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Tellico Plains, TNMay 27, 2018
If you are able to move quickly depending on your job load this job is perfect. If you cannot handle constructive criticism do not try to work here. People are friendly but keep your business to yourself
Excellent team of professionals
Certified School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLMay 15, 2018
The staff at MCSD is well prepared and encouraged to continue development for the benefit of students and themselves. On site healthcare is a great benefit to all. The community generously contributes to the wellbeing of staff and students, especially during and after this year of challenges with the hurricane and traumas endured in other South Florida school districts.
Pros
Healthcare onsite; training opportunities
Great co-workers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Smithville, MSMarch 23, 2018
The teachers have a great relationship with each other. Students mind better than most other schools because the main principal makes sure discipline is followed.
Pros
Most of summer off
Cons
Principal mico-manages
Great Team and Great Students
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Key Largo, FLMarch 9, 2018
Working for Monroe County Schools as a substitute teacher was the best. The Office managers and principals were professional and polite. They really made you feel appreciated. And the students were well behaved and kind.
Pros
Great team, nice students, long lunch breaks.
Productive & Fun Place to Work with Wellness for All!
Human Resources Representative/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLFebruary 22, 2018
The schools of Monroe County are high performing. We have no failing schools. And, our teachers are the highest paid in the State! Our District is at the head of the line when it comes to the academic support provided to our teaching staff.

Monroe County School District provides all new and beginning teachers the opportunity to participate in our District’s New Teacher Orientation program. This program exposes new staff member to the tools, resources and avenues available to support teaching success. New teachers are also provided mentor teachers to support them while offering valuable instructional feedback to guide their teaching success during the first year of service. Our goal is your success

Chart your course to successful teaching while working with a diverse community of professionals and supporting student learning in a high achieving school district.
Pros
It's the Florida Keys, what more is there to say.... paradise!
Cons
We are a smaller string of communities and the cost of living is high.
El mejor sitio que he trabajado en toda mi vida labora
FL (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 18, 2017
Monroe school distrit es el mejor sitio donde he trabajado en toda mi vida .mi escuela es un ejemplo de limpieza y compañerismo somos un gran equipo.
it ended all too soon
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Key Largo, FLAugust 8, 2017
this was a great place to work for and i wish it didn't end the way that it did; lack of funding to pay its employees. all my co-workers were kind, and managements main goal was to always help and keep its employees number one.
Life in Monroe School District
Supervision (Former Employee) –  Tompkinsville, KYMay 21, 2017
I absolutely loved this job. I always looked forward to helping students better themselves at mathematics and to help them achieve their goals and to see them succeed. One of the difficult part of my jobs were working with students who did not want to do their work, but most of the time those were my favorite students to work with. They challenged me at my job and helped me be better at educating them. Another challenge was that some teachers looked down on me and did not see me as an actual employee of the school district. However, I was solely there for the students, not them. Administration could have been much better, students most of the time were not held accountable for their actions, which made it hard on teachers trying to discipline. I learned a lot about myself at this job and about myself as a future educator.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLMay 5, 2017
I enjoy working with the different level of kids. The staff is great to work with and extremely helpful when you need guidance. I have worked in the school district for 3 years and have enjoyed the experience.
Cutting Edge School District
Teacher Special Assignment (Former Employee) –  Keys, FLApril 27, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and students that you get to work with will in MCSD. There are no kids like Keys kids. The district strives to create opportunities in a remote area.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Monroe County School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3