Monroe County Employee Reviews

Challenging office to work in
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAMay 21, 2018
With 7 unions and a residual unit and 625 employees there is always meetings, conflict and resolutions throughout the day. There's at least 1 meeting with the County Commissioners weekly to discuss new hires, separations, promotions, changes, etc.
June 15, 2018

Please note, this review is for Pennsylvania, not Monroe County, NY.

Overworked underpaid - NOT part of the group
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Sparta, WIApril 18, 2018
Worked for 2-month training part-time. Offered me full-time, accepted worked 6 shifts and let go. Never really fit in. I had no clue I wasn't accepted. Totally blindsided. Budget a huge problem with this county. Sheriff too doesn't follow "rules" give to him by his employers.
Pros
Paid Overtime available, Good Benefits
Cons
Schedule, management

Please note, this review is for Sparta, not Monroe County NY

Good
Adminstrator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 8, 2018
Good benefits nice work environment you need to like to fish and like boating this is not a place for shopping with malls etc. Fairly expensive to live here so bring some cash $$$$

Summer Employment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Churchville, NYApril 3, 2018
Although extensive labor for a period of time, Monroe County Parks Department allows college students to return from school and receive good paying jobs that are not stressful and do not require an elaborate list of references and job experiences.
Pros
Fresh air and individual assignments
Cons
Labor
April 21, 2018

Summer laborer positions are available in the Parks and DOT. It's a great way to get started with the County or just make some cash for the summer. Thank you for your review.

very good job
chief roofing inspector (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoyed my job, would recommend to any one to take the job if offered, I would take ths job now if iffered, I would take any jog available in Monroe county for the bld dept

Micro managment kings
Lead Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLJanuary 17, 2018
My supervisor was great but the director was terrible.I have never worked at a job where the director was so afraid to let us do our jobs.Not to mention he knew nothing about how to run a fleet.
Pros
Job located in the Florida keys
Cons
Bad upper management .Politics

Please note, this review is for Key West, not Monroe County NY

Great place to learn and freedom to excel
"Principle HVAC Engineer" (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 29, 2017
Monroe County is a great place to learn in our field due to a wide variety of equipment. We have residential equipment right up to 1500 ton chillers and everything in between. Our facilities range from Jails, Airports, Courts, Zoo's and any type of environment you could imagine.
Management has given me opportunities to excel based on my personal drive to learn and succeed.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with a very small staff (8-10) to manage a huge amount of equipment and responsibility.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with our staff, helping them learn and the daily challenges our job brings. We live in such a diverse climate of the country where winter can be near zero for weeks and summer can be hot and humid.

The things I have learned the most during my last 26 years with Monroe County probably have been learning how to deal with problems with both people and equipment. How to deal with issues as they come up is the most important thing in our field. My experience has help me develop good problem solving skills and good communication skills as well.

My typical day at work would involve scheduling and assigning duties to our staff first thing in the morning. Help facilitate ongoing projects at multiple facilities and take care of operational issues as they arise during the day. Order and procure parts and supplies for the staff. Coordinate and schedule Maintenance programs, work orders and supplies. Maintain, troubleshoot and install new DDC controls at any facilities as needed.
Pros
Freedom to perform
Cons
Lack of support
January 27, 2018

Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful review. Monroe County is proud to employee people like you who have made a career here and know how to get things done under challenging circumstances. Keep up the good work!

Building and Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  MINovember 9, 2017
This was a temporary position and the job is no longer available. The work was easy but time consuming. It was a good job but a lot of physical work with cleaning.

Glad you enjoyed it, but please note this review is not for Monroe County, NY

Stressful dangerous place to work
Examiner, Department of Human Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 5, 2017
This is a stressful job to begin with. Supervision is concerned about there own needs being met than meeting the needs of the community for which they serve,
Pros
benefits you get a state pension
Great Place to work
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 23, 2017
I enjoyed working for Monroe County. I worked with one of the best teams, formed great working relationships, and had an awesome boss. My only complaint was fair compensation.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Compensation
January 27, 2018

We're glad you enjoyed working for Monroe County and enjoyed your coworkers and boss. Recently we've upgraded compensation for many of our positions. Please take a look at our openings to see if you would like to come back.

co workers great.
Supervisor, Title clerk & Drivers License (Former Employee) –  Marathon, FLOctober 11, 2017
I loved the customers and the/my coworkers and my employees. I had to relocate due to hurricane Irma and my place of employment being destroyed as well as my house and pretty much everything we owned.
An excellent place to work
Manager for building (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 1, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Monroe County. I had a great deal of responsibility in managing an entire building and like every bit of the job. I enjoyed all the interface with various people I met and interacted with. It was a good job. I left due to downsizing for the county.
Pros
Good pay, lots of responsibility.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New York StateAugust 29, 2017
Loved it worked at the airport,meet a lot of people,including actors and singers,not all of them liked talking to you but was fun.the county was one of my best jobs.
Pros
Meeting people
good job
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 16, 2017
very fast paced high stress job. training is divided up so that you get a chance to work on all different shifts. benefits were good. co-workers were great and worked as a team.
Pros
good job & benefits
Cons
changing shifts
Great Work-Life Balance and Job Security
Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 15, 2017
I have always enjoyed working for the County. Every job is important because we serve the community. The work isn't easy, but there is flexibility and good vacation/holiday benefits. Its a real plus with Work-Life balance. Also, its not going out of business or laying off tons of people so there is excellent job security.
Pros
Job security, benefits, meaningful work
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Senca Park ZooApril 24, 2017
Unfortunately they moved their call center to another state Loved my job Loved working with the public Helping with their communication needs Was professional and fulfilling. Everyday offered me a new challendge
Busy, fun place to work
Sr. Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Key Largo, FLApril 1, 2017
County Government environment where due to tax and fees pay is not as high as the private industry but a great environment to learn and grow. Culture is one for a person who wants to make a difference you can. The beauty of seeing the Florida Keys waters and nature are definitely a huge plus. If you don't enjoy Island living it is not for you.
Pros
Work in the Florida Keys
Cons
Government and budgeting constraints
Loved meeting so many people of the community.
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 5, 2016
Great place to work for. They do not always make good policy's for drivers. A driver should not have to take down time, while still in the company vehicle ,waiting on clients.
Pros
Client's and hours
Cons
Pay, Company Policy's
arc of monroe county
Assistant Manager Arc (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 3, 2016
Works directly with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities
•provide personal care and promote an individual’s independence, individualization, productivity, integration, personal choice, safety and well-being
• Provides supervision of assigned Direct Support Professionals
• Coordinating employee training sessions and/or staff meetings
• Assisting the Residence Manager in monitoring and creating relevant documentation.
Was once a great place to work, but...
Emergency Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sparta, WIAugust 1, 2015
The first 10 years of employment were wonderful, the last five years were horrible. Only reason I stayed is because I loved and enjoyed doing my job, assisting customers, working with all of the emergency response agencies and municipalities and being able to help people in general. Micromanagement is huge and employees are not valued, respected or appreciated which is causing an abnormally high rate of turnover. Overall morale is the lowest it has ever been; employees are in constant fear of retaliation or losing their jobs if they were to speak out against the dysfunctional management.
Pros
Decent benefits and retirement
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Monroe County. Our community is ready to answer.