Montclair State University Employee Reviews

Good for Art Students
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 17, 2019
You have to oversee the computers, drawing pens and make sure people sign in. As well as clean up after your shift. Shifts are scheduled around classes so they change each semester and you can pick which ones best work for you.
Good place to work for a short time
Graduate Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 15, 2019
MSU is a good place to work but only short term. Benefits as a graduate student are non-existent and the stipend is awful for the amount of work you have to do.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
depending on your department, faculty can be unsupportive
Fun, Interactive Environment
Info Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 12, 2019
Excellent job that develops interpersonal skills and connections as you troubleshoot and help guests of the University, whether students or non students.
Great place for students
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 2, 2019
Montclair State allows me to exercise my skills and be a graduate student at the same time. I was able to use my digital media skills from my own experience and apply them to work each and every day.
Great company
Teacher Admissions Office (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 2, 2019
I was lucky enough to have amazing mentors who helped gain the experience I needed. I graduated from Montclair State University and was later offered a temporarily position to stay and work full time.
Pros
Experience and always working.
Cons
Busy office at times when students come in all at once to get paper work done.
Not a bad place
Professional Staff (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 1, 2019
Overall a nice place to work. Fairly flexible with schedules and quite generous with benefits. The main downside is the company is pretty top heavy on managers.
A little gem
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 29, 2019
I love the school. My dream job would be to stay an continue to teach different classes. Even when students ask questions even after you repeated yourself 5 times. I have learned a lot and will definitely be missing the dept I work for B.
I get there at 720am to get parking. I think it's worse for falculty than students. The food opinions on campus are ok.
Pros
The kids (sometimes ;)
Cons
Assignment isn't guaranteed every semester, faculty parking
The School Struggles with Organization
American Sign Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 22, 2019
There is a lot of miscommunication happening between people at the university at any given time. There is so much confusion and a lack of trust from the students. However, if you’re a student looking for a part time job, it’s pretty low stress. Not great pay, but fair
Pros
Fair wage, flexible hours
Cons
Unorganized
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Upper Montclair, NJMarch 22, 2019
Have been working here 5 years. Lots of autonomy but support from department. Adjunct union also supportive. State of the art facility to teach in. Some equipment needs updating
MSU - Workplace culture
Technical Project Manager - IT/PMO (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 20, 2019
I really enjoyed the company of smart and committed professionals with deep ethos and pathos to their work.

Academic vision is unique and all inclusive.

MSU is the rising star of higher education.
Pros
Great culture, Beautiful Campus
Cons
Parking can be an issue if you arrive after 9AM.
Management is hostile to labor.
Motor Vehicle Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 20, 2019
A typical day is pretripping the bus and driving around the campus for eight hours, taking breaks and lunch at specified times. Upper management seems disinterested in operations, so day to day operations are handled by the supervisors. The culture is very confrontational, as it seems like long term employees are targeted to be dismissed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management as the students were more interested in getting to class on time. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students.
Overall opinion
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 17, 2019
For the most part, the job is routine. The hardest parts would be dealing with the irate parents which is not too often but still occurs. As well as the overnight hours. It also depends which building on campus you are working in but my building has a 24/7 front desk. On the other hand, most of the time you make good friends with your co-workers and once you make friends, it makes the job comfortable. Also, the greatest pro is the ability to get homework done. Albeit, it is difficult to concentrate at times if residents are coming in and out.
Pros
Community building, consistent duties, and ability to do homework
Cons
a lot of hours sitting, occasional irate parent, and overnight hours
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 7, 2019
A typical day at this job will consist of greeting people and helping them with any concerns. Also answering phone calls and sometimes filing. The work place is very diverse and the employees make everyone feel welcomed.
Pros
Positive work enviroment.
Cons
Few hours and not flexible.
very exciting cause people can teach you everyday at montclair
Work Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 6, 2019
a very stressless place with adults that loves to grow an learn and can really put you into position to wanna do more for yourself far as learning a furthering your education.
Excellent place to work at
Senior Building Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 6, 2019
The job is very good with rooms to advance. The hours are perfect and benefits are very good though the salary can be slim. Management is some what ok they gossip too much and have favorite, other than that everything is ok. You get 3 weeks vacay and suck time and 3 personal a year (paid)
Pros
Benefits and work hours
Cons
my coworkers were really nice to me and i miss them :')
LIBRARY STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 3, 2019
i was a student assistant for almost 4 months at the acquisitions department of montclair state university. my job was not terribly hard but i wouldn't say it was super easy either. i enjoyed my time there. i had very polite and supportive coworkers. they all worked very hard every day, in fact some of them were fulfilling duties not required of them since the school refused to hire another needed position. if the position were available, i would gladly apply.
It's Okay
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 26, 2019
Fine I guess for the most part. No real complaints. The place is very flexible and allows me to get most of my graduate work done. Management is very nice.
Nice plce for a pat time job
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 13, 2019
I have been here for almost 3 years now. The best thing about working here is the sense of belonging which they give you.
t
Research
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 11, 2019
Help build leaderships with Understanding the concepts better with each experiment that are created. Teaching the kids to get the mitochondria DNA and getting results in PCR
Pros
build leaderships
Cons
need for staff
Fun place to be, Very collaborative staff
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 31, 2019
A typical working day at Montclair State University involves a lot of interaction with students on the campus. Working as the building manager/ supervisor, people will come to the information desk to ask questions where I am required to know the answer to. As a Resident Assistant, I live among the other residents in a residence hall but I am obligated to tend to them if they face certain issues or are in need of advice.
Pros
Free Housing