Montgomery College Employee Reviews

Great School with a Focus on Students
Instructional Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 7, 2019
The most important part of the job at MC is to improve student success. This goal is baked into every aspect of the job and I couldn't be happier about it. In a typical day, I am able to help students, prepare for future semesters, interact with live data about the students, and fulfill some professional development of my own. With a workplace as large as this one, you will clearly never be 100% satisfied with every interaction, but everyone's opinion can be heard and used to improve the school.
Pros
Great benefits, collaborative atmosphere
Cons
Can be tricky coordinating three campuses
Perfect job for students
Library Student assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 28, 2018
Very flexible hours - the priority is given to the attending classes and performing ell academically.
The nature of work is also educational as one learns about library facility, its resources and materials.
A lot of support is available from the librarians and the fellow student assistants.
Pros
educational
Cons
no health benefits
Professional work environment
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Takoma Park, MDAugust 3, 2018
Good experience and professional development acquired here. Excellent management and co-operative work environment Part time professors have the option to work in the lab tutoring students. I enjoyed working as a tutor one on one with students. Needed to return to my full time job because of benefits. Large classes and time pressure most difficult part of this job.
Pros
Good management
The working environment is manageable
Human Resources Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 27, 2018
My typical work day is to respond to emails and voice messages. Followed by meeting with Manager to go over the my task list for the week. Then processing paperwork for new employees which involves communication with hiring managers and budgeting. Also involves, the processing of background checks for new hires when necessary.

The interaction between is kept to a minimum to avoid the embarrassment of the Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) telling you to get back to work. The unfairness is that the behavior is not recipricol.

Overall, a good place to work with great benefits.
Pros
Paid time off for Spring Break, Holiday, MLK Holiday, Snow days
Cons
Little room for advancement if you are a minority despite degree attainment, or professional development.
Review
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 8, 2018
Very strong staff lead culture that requires assimilation. Typical day includes a ton of meetings. New structure requires significant movement between classes. Many suffer meetings fatigue.
Pros
salary
Cons
culture
productive and experienced
Federal work study student (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 14, 2018
I learned in Montgomery College is that being competitive, supportive, and sociable. As a student, it is good to get started work in college. It helps to get exposure to the real world. Their management was so good in terms of keeping our schedule. Also, it is flexible. I really enjoyed the stuffs who shared their experience and they guide us their working culture
Pros
get experience to the real world, opportunities to work with colleagues.
Cons
short break, less hours of working
Declining in the School
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Central OfficeOctober 2, 2018
I will say this school does not deserve a star at all. Montgomery College has become more Like the political chaos you see on television today. Management needs thorough training. The Leadership team is very petty and if they do not like what you wear or how you look, they will do whatever they can to ruin your life. This school needs to be investigated at this moment it is collecting money out of false pretense. This is not coming from a disgruntled employee it is coming from an employee who spent a lot of years with a school that, in my opinion, should not be responsible for young impressionable minds.
Cons
Management is very vindictive
Love it
Casual Temp - Financial aid (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 9, 2018
I'd love to keep working here! They care about their staff, very flexible and understanding. care about students just as much! the pay is good and I've made great friends!
Pros
Flexibility, and great managers.
Cons
No benefits if you aren't full time
I enjoy the interaction and fast pace environment.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 8, 2018
My day is very busy and detailed to what I have to do and get done by a certain deadline. The staff and management is great and very helpful. The hardest part of the job is being able to be available the times the professors need me the most. The most enjoyable is making the managers very pleased with my work and being on time and hearing how dedicated and great I am with my work ethics.
Pros
Working on campus, close to my classes
Cons
It's a part time position
I am still assessing.
Embedded Coach, Part-time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMarch 14, 2018
I am still in the process of assessment. The job security as a part-time faculty member is not very promising. The compensation is well given and the schedule is completely yours.
Great place to be
Student (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 26, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working at Montgomery College. The people are nice the job was good and the benefits if you go full time are great. I would highly recommend working here if you have the opportunity
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Parking? when i was there but i think they fixed it since then
Excellent for gaining teaching experience
Adjunct II Professor of Biology (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 16, 2018
Montgomery College is a fun, collaborative place to work. It is a great place to gain teaching experience, but long term prospects of full-time positions are few.
Pros
Autonomy, experience
Cons
Low pay, no benefits for adjuncts.
Former Employee (9+years)
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 20, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed working at the College and was well-liked by most administrators, faculty, staff, and students. I have had the good fortune of assisting the Program Directors with faculty and daily communication with students. A privileged to have been an advocate for the students.
Pros
Workplace diversity, salary and benefits
Cons
Management bias in promotion decisions. Ombudsman office, reported yearly that supervisors, and staff morale extremely low. Staff Union, has a track record of favoring management, for employee issues.
Nice environment and great people
Student Vlogger/Videographer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 30, 2018
I have only good things to say about my time working with Montgomery College. The people are amazing and the environment is nice and new. They commit to improvement and make you feel like you are doing something worthwhile.
Systems Engineer -IT (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 22, 2018
Good place to work. Very diverse workforce.
Lack of mobility and opportunities to move up.
Lately many positions have been cut, which has diminished the opportunities to relocate and/or develop professionally.
Pros
Cons
Na
Interesting workplace
Professor (Former Employee) –  Takoma Park.Silver SpringOctober 15, 2018
An OK job if you work part-time,Part timers rarely get an opportunity to advance. And when you do get an opportunity to advance, your previous work experience at MC give you no advantage.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Poor office space for part-time workers
Work experience at Montgomery College
Scheduling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDSeptember 21, 2017
Montgomery college is overall a great place to work. While you are employed there, you have the luxury of taking classes tuition free to advance in whatever field you desire. This is one of the many benefits of working at MC. I would recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Benefits galore
Cons
Advancement is timely and opportunities are limited.
As a part-time teacher in Montgomery College, I work very independently. Montgomery College trusts part-time teachers very much.
CHINESE LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 31, 2017
My job in Montgomery College is just a part-time job. This school does't offer language teachers a full-time position. If I have a chance I would like to teach as a full-time teacher. However, I like the teaching atmosphere and administrative staffs, who are very supportive in Montgomery college.
Pros
Easy going work atmosphere. Staffs are very nice.
Cons
No benefits for part-time teachers.
Great work enviorment
Finance Cashier (Current Employee) –  Takoma Park, MDJune 29, 2012
A typical work day consist of Processing and posting student's paments to their accounts.I also Review and analyze student’s accounts.As for as Processing goes I take in Checks, Cash, Credit Cards, Money Orders.Other jobs I do during my day at Montgomery College are processing mail as well as asnsering phones and prorovidng customer service/care. At the end of my work day i must Balance as well as count daily deposits, and reports dicrepancies to upper management. The most enjoyabale part of the job to be is having the interaction with customers giving them the best serivice I can providing correct information each and every time.
Pros
valuable learning expiernce, working with managment
Cons
seasonal, no health benifits, no advancement in career
Endless Possibilities
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 15, 2013
Great place to work. Employees typically spend decades at MC and ultimately retire from the College. You'll develop life-long friendships. There are plenty of opportunities to grow professionally, gain new skills, take advantage of opportunities outside of your actual position. The environment can breed complacency as there is very low turnover. Most staff positions work 8-5 consistently. Work-life balance is fantastic. They have the best benefits -- from health plans to free classes and everything in between. The hardest part of the job can be monotony from time to time. The best part of the job aside from helping students achieve their dreams is low stress, predictability and flexibility.
Pros
benefits, work-life balance, life-long friendships, engaging students
Cons
complacency, monotony