Montgomery Transport Employee Reviews

Flatbed operator (Former Employee) –  usaDecember 26, 2017
unorganized typical trucking company long hours a lot of sitting under paid rude staff unappreciated faulty trucks and equipment unwilling to work with time needed off
no bs
OTR truck driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 16, 2017
the company as a whole is actually pretty good,the people in the back office are actually there to help you when needed not just look down their nose at you
Work/Life balance was awesome
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 22, 2017
A typical day at work would load and ensuring that the load is secured prior to the beginning of the journey/destination. The hardest part of the job is leaving family behinds, but it is a requirement. The most enjoyable part of the job is flexible work schedule.
Productive & Young Staff
Sales / Pricing / Analytics (Current Employee) –  Tarrant, ALFebruary 6, 2017
High stress, long hours, learned a lot of time management and people management skills. The culture is a young crowd, fun and energetic. The hardest part of the job is the lack of work/life balance. 10-12 hour days, trips, dinners, etc. The enjoyable part is a friendly management team and enjoyable co-workers. The culture overall is a good environment.
Pros
Free lunch on Friday
Very good company, but...
Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 5, 2016
I would recommend this company. There are a lot of good things to say about it. Was sad to leave. Tried for 2 months to stay. Worked for them 7 months. Here in my story why I left.

I get migraine headaches that can get so bad, I have been known to put icy-hot on my eyeballs to try and stop the pain. I can usually resolve a migraine in 30-60 minutes if I can control my environment, cool, dark, quiet. With no APU,the engine must be running for climate control and the vibration comes through the frame and my pillow right into my headache. I simply cannot resolve a headache with either the vibration or summer heat if I don't run A/C. I felt the truck ran rough and asked for that to be addressed, but the mechanic brushed it off. I requested an APU, even offered to pay for half the cost of the parts. The request went all the way up to the owner. The answer was a stubborn no. Just before leaving, I argued my case to the operations manager and he indicated to me I had made a good case on all three points, but still a stubborn no. So I had no choice but to quit.

I had some, in my opinion, respect and honesty issues with one dispatcher until she was promoted. A second dispatcher was a hopeless case so I insisted they put me with another. He took some work, but we were able to straighten out our problems. It was too bad that after all the work I did to stay, they stubbornly refused to meet me half way on a health issue. Yet if they would help me with an APU, I'd love to go back, and I would still recommend the company pretty highly if asked. Just count on not getting an APU.

Now
  more... let me tell you a story in their favor. I was assigned a 2014 Prostar. Most drivers seemed to stack dunnage on the catwalk, (no dunnage racks---boo, thumbs down, boo). I did not like dunnage on the catwalk at all, but I had two 60 foot loads in a row and had no other place to put it, Well the 1 inch strap broke and wound up around the driveshaft. The hook tore out all the wires and air hoses to the back of the tractor. Cost $16,000, 3 weeks and recovery from Pharr, TX to Birmingham. Most safety departments would have blamed and probably fired a new driver. They paid for 3 nights in a hotel and an SUV rental back to the shop. I figured I would be fired. I was stunned when safety took responsibility for the damages, pretty much reinterpreting what I said had happened in my favor, and they put me in a 2013 KW. I have been driving 9 years and I have never been treated like that by anyone in safety, not even close. This incident went a long way to making me try very hard to stay.  less
Productive company constantly growing in leaps and bounds
FLATBED DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 10, 2016
Great company to work for. If you can perform you will get good results. You control your destiny and an very important part of the team.. When the team plays together everyone wins.
work hard, do right, enjoy the company's help to do good work
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 19, 2015
**adhere to requirements regarding safety, ie...pre-trip inspection, driving legal speed for hours allowed, tie down, delivery, replace equipment, post trip inspection; strive to be on time in spite of unexpected delays
**view required quarterly online safety training videos, and extra monthly online safety training videos
**professional managers strive to maximize performance of drivers and trucks; friendly and helpful
**hardest part of the job is chaining and tarping; being away from home
**most enjoyable part of the job is satisfied clients who appreciate timely deliveries and loads that arrive as ordered
Pros
good equipment, good insurance, benefits
Cons
long hours and being away from home more than desired