Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP Employee Reviews

Not the best place to work as a legal srcretary, favortism in the private client group
Legal Secretary - Support the Private Client Group (Former Employee) –  1703 market streetSeptember 3, 2019
Can't speak for other departments, but as a legal secretary, my advice not to work in the private client group. They have horrible associates treating legal secretaries with no respect and no team work. It's all about them, especially with the leading senior associate.
Pros
Decent pay and plenty of snacks
Cons
Asking too much, very long hours, hence snacks to carry on your hard working hours, alot of over time, no balance family/life, favortism
Document Review Dungeon
EData Attorney (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 19, 2019
I worked as a EData attorney for 2 years at MLB and it was not a positive experience. Most of the EData associates (project managers) are arrogant & disrespectful to the review attorneys. The work space was deplorable, the pay rate has been flat for over 10 years and the actual review work was mind-numbingly boring. The list of negatives could go on.... Suffice it to say, unless you an equity partner, this firm is a drag to work for.
Law Firm
Engineer, ISO-27001 Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 28, 2019
The Firm is concerned with doing things right for the client. The work was interesting until it became mundane and boring, without mental challenge or opportunity to advance career.
Fulfilling
Senior Patent Prosecution Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 16, 2019
Worked with a great team and outstanding clients who presented exciting projects to work on. I had many great years at Morgan before retiring to devote time to my family.
Working with a whole new beast
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 3, 2019
Working with Morgan Lewis has been a learning experience. Each day is a new challenge. Working with people who are considered the best of the best in law, has had its challenges. But Morgan Lewis IT department and IT lead has made it so easy, keeping communication open and honest.
The Worst of BigLaw
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2019
Bad managers, bad hours, and bad "black box" compensation. Bonus model is built around micro decisions on bonuses to save money by taking away from several associates who meet the rubric - subjective and discretionary. The culture issue is top-down starting with the partners. Pretty much everyone is unhappy, even assistants. Left and will never look back.
very welcoming coworkers
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2019
I learned great organizational skills with lots of data; workplace culture is friendly; given appropriate time for each task; the hardest part was learning being taught how to save and upload the files on the work computer
Depends on what section you work in
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 21, 2019
I cannot describe what the rest of this firm is like--I suspect it's a good firm to work for; they definitely pay well. But beware the estrogen-fueled departments.. There is gossiping, false accusations, and you can feel like you can do nothing right. Ridiculous deadlines ordered for massive, time-eating, boring projects. Menial tasks that should have 1-3 day deadlines are assigned 1-3 hour deadlines. No communication between the partners and the paralegals; you are just a high-paid little robot. Oh, and don't have any good ideas--they aren't interested and you'll be squawked at for even thinking of them.
Pros
Good wages and benefits, overtime if you want it, lots of food always around
Cons
Women attorneys on power trips
Challending workplace and pleasant physical environment
Patent Specialist/Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 18, 2019
Supported law partner in his patent specialty. Was given a great deal of responsibility and flexibility in working my desk. I learned a great deal about the practice of patent law, and enjoyed working with major corporate entities and individual inventors. The culture was a bit stuffy for my taste, but did enjoy the people on our team.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Corporate structure was a bit "stiff" abd rigid for my taste.
Flexible hours for contract attorneys
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2019
As a contract attorney, they allowed us to work a schedule that fit our needs. Nice full-time associates. Lots of office parties. Good work atmosphere.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
Dirty
They value you but you work hard
Administrative Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 17, 2019
Clear they value their employees. Some attorneys are cut throat but that's the nature o the game. You're compensated well with nice perks. You're basically on call 24/7.
Excellent Workplace
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 4, 2019
Very good work ethics. Co workers are great people. Many things are there for your convenience as far as food and drinks breaks. Work is busy but not to much pressure.
Productive and overall good place to work.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2019
Productive and overall good place to work. There's a lot of flexibility related to job schedule, perfect for family. The overall culture and employee relations is solid.
Funny that the example for this summary says productive and fun with a ping pong table because that is a perfect description.
Records and Information Governance Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 5, 2018
Typical day at work was busy from arrival to departure. I learned two different Records Management Systems (Elite and IRM). I had a very steady manager who gave me the authority and autonomy to do what needed to be done yet was there when needed. Workplace culture was professional yet relaxed. The hardest part of the job was getting everything the attorneys needed when they needed it. The most enjoyable part was doing the hardest part successfully.
Pros
Good benefits, extroadinary people, interesting work, social gatherings
LawFirm Experience
Trademark Docket Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 10, 2018
Working for Morgan Lewis was a great experience. The culture is friendly. I would commute on Bart to work. Work hard all day. Lunch in SF can be expensive but plenty of place to eat and enjoy the great weather in the summer. Hardest part of the job was minting the workflow as we grew. Was a lot of work for one person.
Pros
Working in San Francisco
Cons
No Bonuses
Contractor does not receive reviews
Contractor/Patent Specialist Floater Secretary (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 3, 2018
Contractor does not receive reviews. I worked temporarily and they did not have any openings.

As a floater at the position, I would simply ask for work and assist any people that were out of the office.
Not what it used to be
Staff (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 20, 2018
This firm has changed significantly over the last several years and not in a good way.

"Always on" is their motto and they live up to it.

Salary and increases for staff are laughable and there is little to no professional development opportunities.

Keep your friends close but definitely keep your enemies closer and you'll be just fine.
great company
* Excellent benefits
Friendly people
great breakroom snacks
Excellent company
I.T. Manager / Team Leader / iManage administrator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 30, 2018
I loved working at MLB for many reasons as stated above. Autonomous working environment but had a first class IT team available to me in the Philly corporate office.
Pros
excellent people
Great Place to Work
Litigation and Managing Partner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 27, 2018
Great place to work: challenging, interesting work at a well managed and prestigious law firm. First rate in every aspect. Iw was very satisfied there for over 30 years......