Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

Found 2,564 reviews matching the search See all 2,982 reviews
Avoid This Place Like The Plague
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 26, 2018
I'll be frank.

The overall energy of the firm in this particular location is business focused i.e. non leadership personnel is merely a cost on the balance sheet. Personnel isn't a priority outside of making sure adequate head count is satisfied.

This location is plagued with bad leadership. Most employees feel that no one in leadership has their back i.e. if you bring up a career plan and any suggestions of autonomy with your current role, most of the time it will NOT be met with support and encouragement.

Performance is a joke. You can all of the licenses possible, you can perform at unicorn levels and still may not get a raise or any promotional consideration. It is all about who likes you. End. Of. Story.
Pros
Solid Benefits
Cons
Everything Else
prestigious firm with a lot of smart people
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
the firm should focus more on retaining good workers in the middle rank in New York City rather than focus on shifting jobs to lower cost centers in other states and hire entry level people with very limited experiences and knowledge. Also the firm rather only focus on retaining top level executives in New York City. The turnover in other states is really high, because young fresh graduates will quickly move to other firm for advancement, as there is very limited advancing opportunity in the firm to move up to middle rank.
Pros
good brand name on resume
Cons
compensation is not competitive.
Detail oriented, excellence in customer service, high level institutional investors
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Conshohocken, PASeptember 4, 2018
On a typical day I work I would be preparing client letters or creating customized presentation materials to clients or potential clients, adding data created by the analysts, and editing documents based on the needs of the portfolio managers that I assisted. I made their itineraries, booked flights, restaurants and hotels when they travelled. I really enjoyed my duties and enjoyed the workplace culture as I believed the company really cared about their employees and would give back in surprising ways (i.e. picnics and Christmas get togethers). I enjoyed being challenged and learning in my position.
Pros
Fantastic benefits, excellent professional work culture
Poor Management
Branch Manager Assistant/CSA (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MarylandNovember 16, 2018
I worked as the Administrative Assistant/CSA (Client Service Associate) for the Branch Manager. I did not have my Series 7 at the time I was hired. I was asked to study and was given the book to study for the exam within a month of working there. I decided about a quarter of the way through the book, that I was not interested in pursuing my Series 7 license. Morgan Stanley was not willing to compensate me (they would pay for the exam) in anyway when it came to getting an increase or $$ for passing the exam. I felt that this was extremely unfair to be expected to have a heavier work load and not be compensated. The office environment was extremely hostile and I was picked on constantly by my Manager. After working there 2 1/2 years, I was fired. I believe my firing was a result of not wanting to pursue my Series 7 exam. This qualification was NOT a requirement for the position at the time of hiring. Although I did have a great rapport with all of the Financial Advisors at the firm.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and Decent Starting Salary
Cons
No room for advancement. No pay increases. Hostile working environment.
It’s like you back in high school , What a joke !
Registered Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Purchase, NYJuly 18, 2018
Operations Management.......is a joke . There is no ops management. Management is supposed to lead by example , be willing to help there employees , create a positive work environment. Working here feels like your constantly trying to slay the dragon or at least duck from the fire . They are rude to their employees , unwilling to help or do anything . They play people against each other . They have there favorites for sure which just causes more animosity.

Their back office is even more of a joke . You can call 10x and get 10 different answers , and don’t bother asking your ops team for help , there too busy tearing your wardrobe apart . Like I said ....High School .
MS is just a nice name to put on your resume as a stepping stone to greener pastures . If you can make here , you can make it anywhere .

If you decide to still come ... keep your head down and keep to yourself and you’ll do ok .
Pros
Company name & Benefits
Cons
Pay is ehhe, nothing special. Bottom range.
Very fast paced friendly environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 15, 2018
A typical day at Morgan Stanley would be arrive at 6am, turn on computer check voicemail messages. Check my broker and my mailbox, handle any problems that may arise. I then follow up with my work from the previous day. The hardest part of the job is getting registered with all the securities licenses. I learned a lot about IRA's 401k, learned about options and commodities, The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to clients over the phone and meeting clients in person for a face to face meeting. I love working with all the clients and I give them my undivided attention. I will go above and beyond for the clients satisfaction.
Pros
free lunches, good hours
Cons
no breaks normally eat lunch at my desk
Large Company with issues in promoting individual success
AVP - Alternatives (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
I enjoyed my time there but did not have the best relationship with my group manager and The micro management was a detriment. I was given the opportunity to mentor and help where I could but was marginalized at times and unable to move up in or out of my group.

Pay is strong, benefits are amazing and my teammates were some of the best colleagues I’ve ever had.
Pros
Strong infrastructure and resourses
Cons
Direct Management
Poor culture. Very negative atmosphere. Disconnect between management and employees
Registered Client Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2018
There was a very negative atmosphere. Lack of raises for many CSA's for over a 5 year period. Dwindling benefits. Management very disconnected from the CSA's, they only cared about the FA's. CSA's were not respected or valued by management.
Pros
Benefits, pay could be ok if you worked for the right FA
Cons
Negative atmosphere, poor management, even worse culture.
licensing required
Financial Advisor Associate (Training) (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 27, 2018
Failed to pass licensing exam and they have a one and done policy...meaning if you do not pass the first time you do not have a second chance to get your license. No license no employment. Priority is to get licensed, then concern yourself with all of the office politics, management, culture, and personal atmosphere. The people I know that work there are successful, strong characters, and I would still be there had I past the licensing exam. Morgan Stanley is a top rated firm in the financial industry to be associated with. Must get licensed to enjoy the benefits of their quality standards.
Pros
Quality personnel
Cons
One and done on licensing test if you fail
Don't let the name fool you, you're in a satellite office in Baltimore
Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 24, 2018
People are afraid to leave the office after it gets dark. Multiple employees have had wallets, phones, etc stolen near the office during the day. The office building is a bit run down, elevators break and get stuck. Parking is really expensive.

Ultimately, there are some really amusing and nice people who work in the Baltimore office. There are some winners.
Pros
There are some genuinely nice people in the office
Cons
Low salary, you really feel like red headed stepchildren, NYC is where it's at, management are not advocates, HR is not particularly helpful
Working with good employees
Administrative Assistant-Client Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 13, 2018
Busy days and if slow I would ask for work.
Fun people to work with,
Management was pretty good
I enjoyed working with my 4 FA's
Free lunches once a month. If you o out of your way to help a client or employee you was recognized
Pros
you could take breaks when ever you needed and you was treated fairly
Cons
After 5 years no raises
Good place to work with employee friendly policies but did not encourage interpersonal skills
VP Field Communications (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 25, 2018
Workday was busy and moderately challenging. I learned about the financial markets earlier in my career, a little about how to navigate a large corporation later, but not as much as I would have liked to. Management was competent but cool and business-like for the most part. Culture was forced, cold. Career mobility was hardest part, most enjoyable part was getting to know certain people there.
Pros
Great facilities, good compensation
Cons
Less than desirable work environment
Good management, good time, limited mobility
Securitized Products Group (SPG) Trading Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 2, 2018
Helps to be a lateral hire or be hired out of their summer intern class. As contract employee, received less salary than other co-workers and no benefits while doing equal or more work. Upward mobility can be limited, depending what team you end up on and who your manager is.
Pros
Great team environment, learned a lot
Cons
Hours and day-to-day pace of work can be unpredictable, limited mobility
Fast paced professional work environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Clayton, MOAugust 27, 2018
I had the good fortune to start with Morgan Stanley 's predecessors. My career began with Shearson Lehman Brothers, Travelers, Citi-Group, Smith Barney, Morgan-Stanley Smith Barmey and ended at Morgan Stanley . My position was eliminated due to downsizing. I met people who are friens for lfe.
Pros
Strong commitment to Talent development, great benefits, great company outside activies, free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, eliminate me in merger
Do not work here
Fixed Income Client Service Group Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 16, 2018
I was skipped over annual cost of living raises twice. The manager gave me poor feedback at my annual review and I was caught way off guard. He did not give me any feedback during the year and then when it came to my raise, gave me a terrible review.
Pros
unlimited sick days
Cons
Management doesn't provide constructive feedback
Global Stock Plan Services
Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Crazy Gulch, COJune 2, 2018
There are other departments, and I think the area you work will largely change your outcome.

As far as the GSPS (Global Stock Plan Services) for the first quarter of the year (tax season) you are a glorified password resetter. A large amount of your time you are just resetting passwords.

Also, management will tell you theywill help you with certain goals, but the managers are hardly ever around to help.

Metrics will demonstrate customer service levels, but you are expected to have minimum call times. So no matter what you do, there will be things that management complains about your doing (or not doing in) your job.
Pros
Pay, Most of benefits.
Cons
Short breaks, expected to be great at customer service, but metrics required you to have minimum call times, management usually not available for promised "help."
Global firm with lots of locations and opportunities
CLIENT SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 10, 2018
I started working in Newport Beach, CA and was able to transfer to the Denver, CO office. Strongly advised to get series licenses to open up continued opportunities. Most if not all positions require individuals to be licensed. Coming from an administrative/assistant background was helpful but not conducive to learning finance industry. Employer provides equal opportunity for gender, ethnicity, etc...
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Early Office Hours, Competitive Compensation
Cons
Understaffed Role as CSA
Interesting Culture
Analyst (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTMay 30, 2018
Wants to be Goldman, but not as competitive or serious about it. Compensation is decent, but definitely could be a lot better. Work-life balance can be difficult depending on your department and role. The job is literally what you make out of it because no one is going to do it for you. Mostly relaxed environment or more self-directed, as there is a lot of work and it's expected to be completed regardless of the work hours required.
Pros
Free dinners after long shifts, paid company-sponsored volunteer work, small perks, friendly coworkers.
Cons
Expectation to work through breaks and sneak lunch bites at your desk - long hours.
Working for Morgan Stanley
Global Stock Plan Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTAugust 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my job as a whole. I really liked the people I worked with and really had great managers. I really felt that advancement was difficult and that overall compensation was not good for the licenses and experience that I had.
Pros
Good work environment, Great managers and co-workers. Interesting job
Cons
Not good advancement opportunities and the pay was below average for the job
Not the best place to work
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
This is the quintessential corporate job. Incredibly structured and no freedom. They did not offer overtime or food for working late as other divisions or companies offered. You will feel unimportant. New ideas are shut down at every step
Pros
compensation is competitive
Cons
Work-Life Balance; Perks; Work Atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morgan Stanley. Our community is ready to answer.

51K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight