Morongo Band of Mission Indians

Morongo Band of Mission Indians Employee Reviews

United States26 reviews
It was a great opportunity and great place to learn. All new employees worked in fear and simply kept to themselves. Those employees working there the longest had there own groups. Seemed they didn't give you any trust and then second guess your actions. Too controlling for me. I went to work to work but didn't feel accepted.
Pros
Great place to learn. Enjoyed helping.
Cons
Coworkers. Not accepting of change.
Tribe appreciates their employees. Upward mobility easy if wanted. Plenty of OT, but sometimes it is mandatory and assigned. Overall God work environment.
Pros
Good pay free lunch. Excellent benefits package.
Cons
Scheduling poorly managed. Traffic issues getting to work due to Caltrans working on I-10.
It is very disheartening to align yourself with such a beautiful, powerful, enduring, inspiring and significantly historical culture and people. I will always feel honored to have the opportunity to learn and contribute to Native American people who should be revered and protected.
Yet, the insidious, unquestioned internalized oppressor mentality and behaviors from the top (Council) has created a culture of fear, humiliations and otherness, which sips from the CEO through every department. Administrators who stand by staff, ethics, accountability do not last.

The word everywhere is "do not make waves"; "don't be seen" as advise to retain your job, but does not encourage meaningful change and progress.

Nepotism runs rampant in this sovereign nation.
When I started I was truly excited about working there. This place was one of the worst places I have ever worked for in my entire career. Instead of putting personal feelings aside, they allowed personal feelings to get in way of giving proper training to new employees. This place lacks professional and organizational skills. Most management need training on what it takes to be an well rounded manager.
Save yourself from being the worst version of yourself. It’s all about who you know and who likes you as an individual. Job performance does not matter, popularity does. Sickening how they allow this....As an individual you deserve happiness, health and wellness. You will not get that here! It is toxic and unhealthy. It is all about who you know and who likes you as an individual. I advise you to not submit your resume here and go to a company that appreciates you as an individual. You will be valuable in your workplace, just not here!!!!
Benefits
Cons
Hostile Work Environment and many more
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
I had an issue and took it to HR and instead of them doing something about it, they did nothing and I had to leave the job because it was imbearable. When I left they cancelled my benefits that day and didn’t even wait until the end of the month. I got cobra papers 2 months later and had to back pay to keep cobra even though I went two months without insurance. If you don’t conform they fire you. Even if they are wronf
Been there 8 years and it was absolutely the worst place ever. Health benefits and no other work available in my area at the time were the only reasons I stuck it out so long. Members were rude and unappreciative.
Great opportunity with great benefits and great salary. Very demanding, busy work environment with a lot of multi-tasking and long hours including traveling.
Pros
Multifaceted; travel
Cons
Very long hours
I enjoyed learning new methods. Learning how to handle money. I also enjoyed meeting new people and getting to experience what it was like in the environment of Morongo Casino. I got to work on my cooking skills, communication skills.
It would be beneficial to read up on the history of the tribe, their complicated relationship with the State and Indian gaming in general before seeking a job with this tribe.
In short, it is a world unto its own. It’s unforgiving and can be a difficult and harsh working environment — you must have thick skin and not expect much guidance.

PROS include: excellent pay, great benefits, and amazing discounts.

CONS include: Over-bearing and severe surveillance, astounding levels of incompetence in management, rampant ignorance, and cut-throat business antics stemming mainly from nepotism.

Everything is beholden to the tribal council. They run the whole show. There are too many people in positions of authority who in any ‘normal’ business would have been fired long ago, but get to stay on due to some nepotistic connection to the tribe.

The tribal members all get a share of the big money pie the casino brings in, (Which is fair enough - they “earned” that right) proportional and based on their percentage of blood heritage and in general are a constant source of friction for everyone there.

The tribal members are usually under-educated, have an over-inflated sense of entitlement, walk around with a chip on their shoulder, often try to intervene in operations, have way too much money and free time on their hands — (a bad combo) — as well as disproportionately high rates of drug abuse and alcoholism. So needless to say, it’s not for everyone. Know what you’re getting into.
no opinion on typical day at work, what was learned, management (horrible), workplace culture (horrible), easy job but pay was horrible, most enjoyable part was clocking out.
Expect a total law enforcement environment. If you don't have military or law enforcement experience, they will treat you like garbage. 12-hour shifts are common and don't expect to be told you are working an extra four hours until five minutes before the end of your shift. Don't expect to be given a choice about working OT, don't expect any holidays off. Don't expect to be treated like a human being.
Pros
Free meals, good pay, great benefits
Cons
Everything else
Never a dull moment with each day presenting new challenges and opportunities. A fast paced environment with dead lines and surprise assignments. Each day is different, challenging and rewarding.
Pros
Fun
Cons
The utilities manager was spread out too thin with other jobs outside of Morongo and always approached his manager job negatively even when things were perfect. It's he's style and it wares you out. The weather is hot and dusty so that slows down progress in the summer, The operators are knowledgeable when they want to be. High turnover in the water department. If you worked at BCVW you are in at Morongo, doesn't matter what you know or how you act. The system is in good shape, they could update their fleet instead of dumping 10s of thousands of dollars on vehicles that are 15 plus years old. It was a good job for me while I put up with the harsh environment inside and out. If you think running an entire water department for 31.78 an hr. is fair then have at it.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management is akward at best, The Administrative Assistant for the Utillities Dedartment is diffecult to work with.
hot fast paced intense enviorment your basically a cop for the tribe you just cant use deadly force your a report whriter every day requires written reports about what happen on property to lost property
Pros
4 day work secdule
Cons
no facial hair or long hair 12 hr days
You hear every threat and scenario on how someone can lose their job on the daily. Turn around rate is ridiculous. No room for growth. Too much politics.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Management. Politics
Dysfunctional Administration, violence amongst co-workers and parents who threaten teachers and support staff (nurse), Back Stabbing, NO books or curriculum, learn the rules as you go, or by osmosis, as they change on a weekly basis, unrealistic expectations when there is no time for instruction, (1/2 hour breakfast, 1/2 hour snack/break, 45 minute lunch and 30 minute recess), low morale amongst staff, traumatizing children by having teachers removed either during vacation or in front of a 5th grade class (and that's not because they are unqualified), texting you when your parent dies rather than call or send a card, administrator who believes parents are young, uneducated people raising children. Start documenting the minute you are hired because they WILL say you were at fault for losing your job and disqualify you from unemployment, which I luckily did not need. Quite spiteful indeed!

Get some actual books for reading and math, develop a curriculum, show teachers how you want grades done rather than scolding them for not knowing, hire an administrator who doesn't believe the parents are young and uneducated people raising children.
Pros
Supplies, Full Time Aide, nice children, benefits, teaching the children about their culture, field trips, discounts.
Cons
See above
I do not recomend anyone seek employment here!!!!!!!!! Dirty environment, non-appreciable mgt.No life work balance at all. You work for them your life is theirs.One of the worst mistakes I ever made in my life going to work here!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
all
Like any business the pay here is dependent on the economy. Years of wage freezes forced a lot of people to quit. Micro management is a huge problem. I would never recommend anyone to apply here.
Pros
Management is hard to work with and tribal members are just as bad if not worse. The work was not difficult but the responsibility did match the pay. I wouldn’t recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Management, no future
Workplace culture is grimey. It's a casino it's all about money and power and so are the CEO's of the casino. The management here has extreme micro managing issues.
Pros
Benefits/cheap good food/pay
Cons
Management and security can't trust anyone.Ciggerate smoke inhalation all day.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morongo Band of Mission Indians. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3