Morris-Jenkins Employee Reviews

Flexible scheduling and relax environment
Senior Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28217September 4, 2018
I work in an environment that is not micromanaged. We have a flexible work schedule. We are cross-trained on each job in our department, which allows us to cover each other. The most enjoyable part of my job is the company gatherings we have.
workplace culture
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 24, 2018
The culture at Morris Jenkins is something they are very proud of and work to maintain. In the call center and throughout the company there is a family like feel between coworkers. This helps us support and help one another and work together as a team. This culture provides an excellent chance to get help if ever needed. There are multiple ways to get the assistance needed to excel at your job.
Pros
Pto, holiday pay, flexible schedule, over time opportunities, great culture
Cons
there is a busy season that is very fast paced
Great Place to Work
Paid Search Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 6, 2018
Just like you see on the commercials, the people here are truly happy and enjoy their job. I suggest applying to any position within the company as they pay more than average, the culture is outstanding, and the growth is massive. They even pay you if you have no experience while they teach you the Plumbing and HVAC trades! What other company does that?!?!

This place has found the formula for success and it starts with the people. I highly recommend.
Pros
Culture, Pay, People, Management, Growth
Very Productive
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 7, 2017
We make it easier for customers to do business with us. Everyone work together to complete tasks. Managers are great leaders in each department. This an all around great place to work.
Pros
Relax
Cons
Insurance is high
Busy workplace with amazing ethic!
Priority Advantage Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2017
Having come from a decidedly negative sixteen years in retail, I cannot express how positive an environment Morris-Jenkins provides its employees.

While the job provides ample challenges to perform, growth is impossible without such challenges, and the management team is always available to provide support during transitions. The training program here is extensive and ongoing.

Above all, this is a family-owned and run company and it shows in virtually every facet of the work environment.
One is constantly surrounded by friendly people, wherever one turns. It is truly spectacular, what a corporation can accomplish when it is based upon a foundation of trust and not fear.

Morris-Jenkins is the polar opposite of the corporate-office micro-managed big-box retailer I previously worked for, and it shows!
Thank you, Morris-Jenkins for an opportunity to grow with your family!
Pros
Friendly People, Supportive Management, Constant Training Investment, Fun-Filled Work Environment, Solid Benefits
Cons
Necessary Stress
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 14, 2017
I really enjoy working at Morris Jenkins. It is by far one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Management is great and very willing to recognize a job well done. The pay is very competitive as well.
Pros
Great environment everyone is very encouraging.
There's no place I'd rather be
eSupport Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 13, 2017
I started working at Morris-Jenkins after college and I couldn't have asked for a better job. The environment is very team-friendly and everyone is willing to help each other out. The job can be hectic in the summer time but it is all worth it. Different employees and supervisors will come up to you and thank you on a regular basis for the work that you do for the company. Meetings are a lot of fun but also make sure to cover important topics and get work done. Company breakfasts and other events make you realize how great this company really is. I never dread getting up to go to work at Morris-Jenkins.
Pros
Team-friendly environment, Great Leadership
Cons
Established local company and steady place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 13, 2017
Working at Morris-Jenkins gives you the feel of working in a small company, where the owner knows your name and strict procedures don't hamper your every move, while also reaping the benefits of a larger company - good pay and opportunity for advancement as the company continues to grow.

Your stress level undoubtedly is tied to your position here, but most areas work together at a generally fast pace, at least during peak heating and cooling seasons.

Yes, sales goals are prioritized throughout the year, but usually incentivized with games and contests. This is not a cut-throat sales floor that will can you the minute you fall behind on a goal. There is coaching, although management structure seems to constantly be in flux here - one of the reminders that this IS a local company that isn't quite as polished as a big corporate office.

There's a lot of departments here, so if you can find a position that you enjoy and you know how to adapt to an environment that can change pretty quickly, you'll do just fine. There are pretty defined busy and slow seasons, so maybe the hardest part of the job is not getting complacent.

If you do fit in with the culture here, and that's pretty easy if you ask me, this will be a fruitful place to work. Everyone is friendly. Everyone is here to work and have a bit of fun.
Pros
new facility, inclusive culture
Cons
management is iffy at times
Excellent work culture
current employee (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2017
Coming here from my previous employer was like a breath of fresh air. Tech meetings are fun & informative without the negativity.The culture is different than anywhere I've been before. Highly recommend!
Pros
Great people & great place to work
Cons
Can't think of one
Very positive environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2017
Very positive atmosphere to be a part of. Dedicated and close-knit family of employees. Morris-Jenkins makes sure to show each employee how valuable they are.
Amazing culture and lots of growth
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 30, 2017
A great place to work with lots of growth and opportunity. Fun loving culture and a fast pace of business. Outstanding company that really cares about its customers and employees.
Pros
great culture
Cons
healthcare is expensive
Great Workplace - Career HVAC Technician's Dream Job
HVAC Demand Sales Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 27, 2017
As a Demand technician the pay can be good to very good and better than most other companies in the nation. It is sales driven as it should be, but there are other job avenues within the company, even as a technician, that are not so sales driven. With some time and expertise you can work toward management if that is what you desire, but if you are one of the top revenue earning technicians, it might be a pay cut. The work culture is much better than most. Most everyone is very happy with their job and everyone will bend over backwards to help you if you need it. There are a lot of support personnel in place to make your job easier. Morris Jenkins requires a great attitude, willingness to do your best and to learn, presentable appearance, and clean random drug screening. They are always hiring new people due to expansion and has very low turnover.
Best job I've ever had!
Demand technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 10, 2016
This company is awesome, I have nothing but great things to say about Morris-Jenkins. I started almost two years ago through the tech builder program and have worked my way up. They provided me with all of the tools I needed to succeed in this career. The management staff and supervisors are outstanding and help you overcome any obstacle. The sky is the limit with this company, the reward from all of your hard work is truly great. Thank you Morris-Jenkins!!
Pros
Excellent pay and training!
Cons
I cant find any im very happy with this company!
You don't have to know how to fix it!! JUST SELL SOMETHING!!
Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 27, 2015
I worked a few years at this place and found out quickly what kind of people they wanted. They want salesmen!! It does not matter if you are technical and can troubleshoot. Revenue first and then fix the customer second is there culture. About a week after I started, a technician approached me and asked if I would install a compressor since he was unable to do so. I agreed. When I arrived at the job site I wanted to find out for myself what the problem was with this compressor. I did some troubleshooting of my own only to find out the compressor did not need to be replaced. The only thing wrong with the system was a broken wire. I repaired the wire and the A/C system ran perfect. This technician was going to charge a homeowner over $3000 to replace a compressor for no reason at all. This technician is a "MILLION DOLLAR REVENUE PRODUCER". After that, I could see how he did it!! 3 years ago, they started the tech builder program. They would mass hire up to 15-20 new employees that yesterday worked at Burger King, 7 Eleven or Toys- R-Us and train them in a span 2 months. Come on now, it takes more than 2 months to learn heating and air. After 2 months these guys are in vans, going into peoples houses, they don't have a clue what they are looking at and trying to sell products. As an experienced technician, I would have to go back on the calls these guys were on earlier in the day and fix there mistakes because they didn't have a clue what they were doing!!! Technicians were told to sell a part even if we were unsure of what the problem really was. This opened up the doors to sell  more... high priced repairs to get the revenue and technician received 10% commission on the repair!! How do you think they pay for all of those commercials?  less
Pros
If you're a crook, you will make a lot of money!!!
Cons
Honesty is not their best policy!!!
A weird work culture
Warranty Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 25, 2013
Even for a HVAC company, Morris-Jenkins has a weird work culture. The company's idea of promoting someone usually comes at the expense of demoting someone else. It wasn't until after I was hired as the head of the warranty department that I found out I was the third person in the past six months hired for that position (one of my predecessors was demoted to a customer service representative). Furthermore, I found out my direct supervisor (a young, first-time manager) was formerly the secretary to the No. 2 person in the company and she switched jobs with her predecessor.

The company had office manager meetings at 7 a.m. once or twice per week, which seems entirely counterproductive and was more of a control mechanism. I understand technicians meeting once a week at that time to go over sales and service, but the office managers had their own separate meetings.

Other than that, the company is indicative of what you see in corporate America. They had new software installed that most of the people trained by the software provider struggled to use, but it was expected that someone just hired should have more mastery over it than they do. They set the position as a salary position as a way of bypassing overtime (after I was hired I was told they wanted me to work more than 40 hours per week regularly). They hired someone with management experience (I have more than a dozen years in various industries) but yet the first-time manager started questioning me because she thought I "acted too much like a manager" -- which led me to suspect that she was afraid she could see herself
  more... being demoted potentially like what happened to her predecessor.

Overall, it's a classic case of a company wanting overqualified people to work in positions that are not using their skill sets and the other trappings of that work environment (cronyism, unrealistic job expectations given the lack of resources, an anti-family holiday policy, poor medical insurance benefits, etc.). Go there only if you are interested in learning proprietary information and a thick culture setting that leads to no career development.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
inexperienced managers, cronyism, no family-work balance, poor insurance
Good company if you like a lot of overtime.
Warranty Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 11, 2013
Typical day: Leave my house around 7 AM to arrive at my first call by 8 AM. This call is usually a maintenance call or a return call to repair with part ordered. Run 2 to 3 calls. Go to lunch. Run 2 to 5 more calls and go home. My last call is usually an hour away from my house. Note that my house is in their service area. Arrive home around 8 PM. This time can vary from 6 PM (rarely) to Midnight (rarely). Don't make any personal plans on the days you work, because those tend to be the days you work late.
The company has meetings every Monday morning. There is some training in the meetings, but it's more about the numbers. There are revenue goals each tech should reach. The top revenue techs will get a lot of praise. Management thinks this makes every tech strive to be high revenue, but there is a problem in the formula. High revenue techs get calls that are older and more likely to need major repairs while the low revenue techs get newer systems or systems that have had repairs recently. In short, they keep feeding the high techs and starving the low techs. If your revenue gets too low, you could lose your job.
Long days are expected during the summer, but within the last few years they have accumulated well over 10,000 maintenance customers. This means there is no longer a slow time. The effect of working so many hours all the time burns out most techs and keeps morale low.
During the late fall and winter months, they do have Breakfast Meetings on Fridays every few weeks. This is a huge all employee breakfast that has more food than most buffets. Employees cook the food. The
  more... meeting is still mostly about the numbers, but it is more focused on each department. Get there a little early and enjoy getting to talk with everyone.  less
Pros
fair pay for type work. training.
Cons
long days and drive time. doesn't leave much family time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morris-Jenkins. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4