Morris Communications Employee Reviews

Late nights, unreasonable expectations and high stress
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCApril 6, 2018
If you like feeling like the walls are closing in on you everyday, this is the company for you. You’ll be under appreciated, underpaid and working 12 hours a day (or more).
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours, pay
worked in corporate office
Financial Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 22, 2018
was good at Morris-people were very friendly. Job was very easy and not competitive. had plenty of work to keep me busy.

Had treat trainers and management
Pros
great management
awful work environment
Team Leader - Order to Cash (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 8, 2018
management pitted employees against each other. Pay for non management was as low as possible. Promised bonuses were not paid. I appreciate my experience at Morris Communications but would never want to re-live it or recommend this company to an enemy.
Great and fun work environment
Online Advertising Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 6, 2018
A typical work day would consist of talking with new clients about behavioral target marketing through Yahoo. The hardest part of the job was showing the client an ROI. It was such a new concept and very hard to track. Morris Communications decided to separate its relationship with Yahoo and turned their focuses elsewhere.
Pros
Co-ed company Softball team
Cons
We hardly ever won any games
Administrative / Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 1, 2018
Morris Communications is a good place to work. The working environment can be stressful, it is very competitive Morris Communications offers a very competitive compensation package.
Great Co-workers, Company too cheap
Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 9, 2018
The company went from having 3 sales assistants for a 16 person outside sales team to 1 because they didn't want to pay their salaries. Higher level execs either oblivious or indifferent to limitations of selling print advertising in the 21st century.
Good job till it lasted. they went out of business
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 26, 2017
Install structure cabling
I learned alot about telecommunications and applications.
Managment was good
Positive work place
no to hard on performing the work
enjoyed working with coworkers and management
Pros
Learned alot about doing telecommunications
Cons
Company no longer . Went belly up.
downtown revitalizataion making it nicer to work downtown
Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 23, 2017
the move from being just a newspaper to a diversified media company will take time. it started but the area advertisers don't think of their newspaper for digital, yet
Pros
near texas tech
Cons
shrinking circulation
Overworked and Underpaid
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 4, 2017
Upper management makes budget cuts and expands job roles without thought to how it impacts the people in working in the job. They are only concerned about their bottom-line, and how they appear to the other higher-ups.
Pros
Love my coworkers. You'll learn a lot of skills that you never signed up for.
Cons
Management doesn't invest in it's people.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 27, 2017
Very good with training and offering placement according to interest. Management is always very helpful and benefits are good as well. I recommend employment with this company.
sales rep
Retention Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 9, 2017
basically taking payments reminding customer about monthly subscription. Getting new customer to subscribe to their local newspaper for their daily news.
Good organization with good people. Privately held and family atmosphere where the managers lead by example in most cases.
Regional VP of Operations (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GAFebruary 27, 2016
We do work in a very deadline oriented environment which can be stressful. However, most of the managers encourage and require everyone to be respected. We work hard but our work is valued.

The changing enviroment of daily newspapers has made for lots of new challenges. We are in the middle of a transformation from a mature business plan to a new one built on a completely different paradigm.
Pros
Very close knit employees. Strong local managers with a great deal of autonomy.
Cons
The business is mature and we have faced several years of contraction due to revenue declines, No raises for several years.
executing Server Refresh Project of All Morris Communication Business Markets spread over 55 Locations
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAFebruary 6, 2016
Morris Communications is a leader in media with high-quality brands that provide community news, information, advertising, entertainment and related content through diverse digital channels and distribution outlets. Server Refresh Project includes Upgradation of IT Infrastructure including, Server, Network, Storage and Associated Software. It includes Exploring current business requirement with scalability, choose the right solution and Design the Solution. Finally Implementation of Upgraded Infrastructure and Application migration.
Don't do it...
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 20, 2015
I was in as a temp with a promise to become a full time member of the staff. The lies piled up and they got rid of a ton of us in one swoop, nearly leaving me homeless. They don't care about their employees, and there is ZERO job security.
Great place to Work.
Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Since this information is public, I chose not to discuss. My only comment is that this is a great family atmosphere to work, but since there is very limited turnover, advancement opportunities are few without relocation.
Productive workplace
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 13, 2014
A typical day at work would start with scanning and saving client personally information for the Credit Department, then I would start working one of my three regions: calling clients to speak with Accounts Payable to get payment status for past due invoices and if a client did not have copies or requested copies of invoices, statement, or tear sheets I would send to their attn.

I learned how to deal with different personally. Example: I could call one client and get a good reaction after informing there are past due invoices on their account, I may even get a payment and form a relationship with the client making them feel secure in our company.

Management was well, making sure I was okay with the work load and that I had everything I needed to work with as for helping the clients.

My co-workers were good, we all worked well together. Helping each other form answering questions to helping print invoices to send to their clients

The hardest part of the job is dealing with clients and their rude attitudes sometimes. All clients do not like to hear they have a past due balance on their account; some clients would hang up the phone in my face. My job was to figure out how to get that client comfortable with me and to assure them I have their best interest at heart.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I have went above and beyond for my client. Providing their entire request (needs/wants) and at the end they praise how much of a help I was to them.
Pros
The pros of working with this company was the health benefits, I did not have health insurance at my last job.
Cons
The cons of working at this company is just the parking lot, due to the location there is not enough parking space
Decent overall but serious management issues at times
Morning Show Co-host (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 7, 2014
The great thing about working for Morris is that you are generally free to make your own hours when needed. Obviously, you'll need to be there for your shift and any remote broadcasts, but most of management is not all about face time, which allows you to get out and enjoy the community. Like most radio companies, there are added perks of tickets and access to things that many others do not have.

There are some serious management issues at my branch. One man belittles employees, snoops through their things, makes clearly bad decisions and doesn't pull in the numbers that his station should be, and seems to get away with it.

The general manager is a nice man, but is splitting time between two towns that are 8 hours apart by car. He spends 3-4 days per month at the branch I work at and the rest in the other city
Pros
Entertaining work environment, tickets and access to local events
Cons
Some management issues, technology is supremely subpar, promotions are not equally funded among all the stations
Productive work place
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 24, 2014
I enjoy how my department at Morris works with my schedule. As long as you get your eight hours in you are good to go. This is very beneficial to those who have children. The monthly deadline for publications is also a plus too.The staff is pretty friendly.
Pros
flexibility with work hours
Cons
wish it paid more
I have always enjoyed my newspaper work. This last experience had high moments but I was convinced it is time to try something new.
Publisher (Former Employee) –  Thomson, GaMay 25, 2014
Was not allowed to do what is right with employees. Too many chiefs had a hand in what went on with daily operations. Better teamwork by the home folks could have resulted in great revenue gains.
Pros
Putting out a quality product which I always had something in print.
Cons
Too many chiefs with no stake in the outcome.
Good coworkers and learning opportunities
Internet Marketing Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 23, 2014
I think a work environment should grow the employees, and my time at Morris really did. Skill wise, I learned a great deal about Social Media management for businesses and grew to thoroughly enjoy it! While in charge of the fulfillment for Daily Deals, I was able to more develop my organization skills and communication with staff at the different papers Morris owns. My coworkers were great, and really added to the work environment. I think the hardest parts of the job were (1)training the clients who didn't know much about social media, on their new social media platforms and how to utilize them effectively and(2)making sure the sales staff were communicating clearly with their clients about what they were actually purchasing, whether it be a website, social media or a mobile site.