Morrison & Foerster LLP Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A pleasant place to work
Freelance Japanese Translator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 9, 2018
I worked here as a freelance Japanese translator. At the time I worked here, I found the work culture to be pleasant and conducive to an effective work product.
Excellent firm culture
Legal Secretary/Real Estate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2018
Wonderful firm to work for with open door policy and lots of teamwork. Very brief. I spoke to two managers. Thirty minutes for each, and they both asked the same questions. They were both friendly and the staff overall very welcoming. Everyone had a smile and overall a great vibe.
Pros
Casual Fridays drinks
Cons
Great for attorneys... not so much for staff
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 10, 2018
MoFo WAS a great place to work for staff once, but that has changed greatly in recent years. Micro-management has become the norm, and respect is greatly lacking. They advertise flexible work schedules for the attorneys, but the staff will never receive a flexible work schedule. Think hard before coming here.
Pros
Doughnut Friday, good pay
Cons
Micro-management of staff; no respect for job well done. Little appreciation. Low morale among staff
Great CFO
Client Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CANovember 3, 2017
The CFO treated everybody the way he wanted to be treated, great person to work with. But don't get me wrong, when work had to get done, he could push.
Pros
Cfo
Cons
Lack movement
Review of Morrison & Foerster LLP
IT Trainer and Support (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2017
This law firm's San Francisco office is a very diverse place to work. I offered IT Training and support to staff and attorneys. I enjoyed working in a team environment where we all supported each other to successfully complete projects and keep up with daily requirements.
Busy
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2017
Dealing with attorneys can be very challenging to say the least, so this position was full of opportunities to learn and grow for my entire team and myself.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Cto
Office has good benefits
Legal Secretary - Litigation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
Typical day involves, prebill review and editing for 12 days out of the month. Every program they use has 20 steps to it. If you don't learn all the steps to whatever you are working on super fast they aren't forgiving.
Backwards moving targets
Staff (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 22, 2017
Different day, different target, while still being held accountable for completion on previous targets you were told not to complete and shift direction away from. No interest in evolving or moving forward, learning, growing, or securing when it comes to action, but certainly on board with the words stating these as interests.
Pros
Pay is okay, benefits are relatively good
Cons
Everything else
Enjoyable environment with opportunity for Growth
Records File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 7, 2017
I learned a lot working here and was able to build my experience and practical knowledge within the company. I was always met with positive attitudes and individuals willing to train me.
Morrison Foerster LLP
IP Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 17, 2017
Not a good place to work. They still try to work under their past reputation, but that reputation does not hold up today. They need to hire qualified managers. They have managers that fall short. They are no longer the top in the legal world.
Cons
New Patent Agent treats others in an inferior manner
Local headquarter firm
Associate Librarian (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 9, 2017
I was an environmental law specialist, my undergraduate field of study, so felt very validated in my work. A liberal work environment, and the headquarter office. Large library staff of interesting people.
Pros
Intersting pro bono work, Free lunches, location
Cons
Relatively low compensation.
Good place to learn from
Accounting Operation Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2016
Everyday I got to learn new skills and this is how I became the person I am today. I learned and understood more of the full cycle of Accounts Payable processing and how to handle and maintain good vendors relations, inquiries, and etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I got along very well with the team and others.
International Compensation & Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 30, 2015
Friendly environment whereby you will learn and be cross trained on a regular basis. The culture promotes a learning environment and it is encouraged.
Great innovated firm on the cutting edge!
Billing / Conflicts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2015
I love working at the firm!!! The software was up to date and the staff was fun and very friendly. The firm does a lot for the staff and the Partners are very nice.
Pros
The staff is great and they give free breakfast every Firday
Cons
The struggle between offices to who will make decision sometime puts the staff in the middle.
High end law firm with very important clients
Conference Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work consists of greeting esteemed clients and making their experience a pleasant and productive one. I successfully meet the clients and attorney's requests for all they need regarding copying, scanning, printing, rearranging the room layout, catering, and so forth.

I enjoy working with other departments, especially the IT department, because technology is very particular and I get to learn a lot on a daily basis.
Pros
Happy Hour Events within the firm.
Cons
High turn over rate
Oversee administrative duties for the Patent Dept. working with 6 secretaries and assigned attorneys
Sr. Patent Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 13, 2015
Heavy workload and time sensitive projects on a daily basis. Working with various secretaries and attorneys sometimes would be a challenge so delegated projects and making sure the department as a whole is aware of time sensitive deadlines.
Pros
Always busy and workload challenging
Take away from Staff
Project Portfolio Committee Facilitator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 3, 2015
Every penny to develop staff is taken away in order to give more to Revenue generators. Long term staff bonuses, incentives and retirement benefits have been eliminated in the last 5 years. There is zero to a 1% growth opportunity.
Cons
low incentives
Great place and company to work for.
Desktop Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2015
Morrison & Foerster is a great place to work for, they are very accommodating to their employees.
good place for working mothers
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 1, 2015
busy mornings, I've learned to multi-task between answering phones, greeting clients, and billing. Micro-management. Co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of my job was making sure there was meeting room space for all internal and external client meetings. The most enjoyable part of my job was being the go to person making sure everything ran smoothly and adequetly.
Pros
Was able to have a flexible work schedule
Cons
low moral
Legal Secretary at Morrison & Foerster LLP
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2014
Morrison & Foerster is one of the largest and well-respected corporate legal firm in the world. I very much enjoyed being part of an amazing group of intelligent women and men at all levels. A typical day would consist of a lot of work. We are a very client-oriented firm and although there was always much laughing in the hallways, work was the priority.

In rhw 26 years that I worked that, I learned everything I now know aobut being a legal secretary, a trusted assistant, loyalty, humility and friendship.

The hardest part was the amount of work. Understanding different points of view on the same project. Keeping calm and following through. Dealing with all of the local rules for all of the different courts and making sure that all work was done following standards of the firm and the court system.

We did have monthly parties for staff and attorneys, snacks and alcohol at 5:30.

We had weekly events for a month regarding diversity, gay pride month, black, history month, etc, with guest speakers..
Pros
Relaxed and fun envirnment, great benefits and training
Cons
long hours, stressful projects