Morton Salt Employee Reviews

Best place I ever worked!
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Newark, CANovember 14, 2018
Morton is the best place I ever worked. Management cares about the safety of it's employees. Safety First was always the concern of both management and employees. We received at least one hour of safety training a week, and once a year we had Safety Day. The whole day was on safety training. The company made it a fun day learning all about working safely. They provided lunch for us, and we competed in games that had something to do with safety. The work environment was relaxed and the company did not push us to do the work in a manner that would be unsafe. There are times when things got confusing as what was the right product to load on the trucks, but we could always count on supervisors helping us.
Pros
we were giving meals many times.
Cons
many times we had to work 12 shifts, but the overtime pay was great
A last resort
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Rittman, OHNovember 13, 2018
Extremely stressful place to work. Management makes a good job ten times harder. Management will use scare tactics like layoffs to try to get more production out of there broken 80yrs old machines. There is a two tier pay scale. Tier one employee s will degrade you and expect you to do more work for 7-8 $ less an hr. Heath insurance is expensive with high deductibles. There is a two year lock in before u can bid on better jobs. The union is weak they rarely will back a tier two employee. They can't keep maintenance personal. You will fight equipment all day everyday. It's very common when you final have a week end off. For them to force the weekend while you're standing at the time clock. This company was a good back in the day but it's falling fast.
Best paying jobs in Van Zandt County, TX
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Saline, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I got no training. I was thrown into the entire job on the first day. Thank goodness there were filing cabinets full of previous employee work product. When the person who hired me left the company, the person who replaced him had less education and experience than I did but I wasn't considered since I was a woman.

I loved dealing with the retirees and helping them with their medical insurance problems and submissions. I also loved dealing with the employees in the plant and mine but found the other salaried employees unfriendly and unhelpful some even hostile because I got the job and their friend didn't

I learned a great deal about insurance and workers compensation. Since Morton Salt was self insured, I worked with their contractors who managed the claims. I also was able to home my typing and telephone skills, especially my typing skills. I had to deal with much statistical typign and had verious projects where I had to create and publish my work This required a lot ov typing that needed to be done quickly.
Pros
Opportunity to hone skills
Cons
Hostile work environment.
good place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Good place to work,management listens,good benefits,need better salary structure,also need better working conditions,good company name well established
Pros
good company
Cons
pay
Not the best.
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Rittman, OHSeptember 1, 2018
Still not the best. Downhill in a hurry. Long history of being an good company to work for but the new German owners have turned that around for the worse. Pay disparity between jobs.
Cons
Healthcare, poor retirement
Productive with a good atmosphere
EXECUTIVE ASST & PROCUREMENT PROJECT ASST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2018
Supportive management and groups; Encouraged to learn and participate in group / vendor meetings. Comfortable open office setting. Proper office etiquette practiced.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
lack of advancement
Pressure to perform is paramount
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
Little recognition of hours worked. Open office environment is not conducive to working without interruption or the ability to focus on the task at hand. Winter season pressure is extreme with no extra help available although more and more work was being funneled to the credit department.
Lack of culture
Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
As a remote employee it is very difficult to get information. Management is very self promoting. Currently experiencing an exodus of trained personnel.
HR manager Speak with forked tongue
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Rittman, OHMay 21, 2018
Careful with HR, they speak any means to get you in the door, especially scheduling.
Pay is pretty good, however there current insurance package is terrible compared to other competeing companies, mine as well accept another job for a few dollars less an hour for better insurance.
Work/Life balance is terrible, count on working pretty much every holiday.
CO-workers and even Supervisors are good people, and pleasant to work with.
Morale is pretty low.
PTO is low, compared to other competeing companies.
The problem I see is management is so used to pushing around the senior workers who have 20+ years service who cannot make a career change this late in there life, the company is used to getting there way. New workers see this mistreatment, and quickly leave, therefore the company has a high turnover rate, especially in the maintenance department.
Constant corporate turnover
Employee (Former Employee) –  UtahMay 8, 2018
Opportunity for advancement, constant conflicting changes in direction from management, good work life balance, free salt, high wages for hourly workers relative to area
Director Customer Supply Chain, North America (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
Great place for career growth, personal and professional development available. You definitely a take charge of your own career kind of place. CEO is fully engaged in employees and business strategy.
Fun place with free treats
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Entered 100 invoices on a daily basis, relaxed, manager didn't watch your every move. Very family orientated, flexible hours and team members worked together
Pros
Flexible hours
very productive work days
Pan / boiler / chemical operator (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAApril 7, 2018
the hardest part of my job wasn't at the plant it was the drive to get there, it was very diverse everyone got along≥. every once in a while there would be problems with the equipment but there than that it was a nice place to work.
Pros
catered safety meetings with food and games and prizes for safety knowledge
Cons
unable to leave plant once clocked in
Management is poor
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Silver Springs, NYMarch 13, 2018
Upper management is poor and underdeveloped. No respect for personal life, co workers are cutthroat to throw anyone under the bus they can to make them look better.
very high paced
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Grantsville, UTMarch 2, 2018
bagging salt for customers, completing process orders on daily basis. loading trucks or rails to ship product. working as a team to accomplish task that are set out for each shift.
Pros
Good pay for the hourly
Cons
incentives taken away
A good company to work for.
Baler Operator (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Good training. Good management. Excellent training program. Good safety program. Room for advancement. Company supplied free personal protective equipment (i.e. safety boots, hard hat, safety glasses.).
Some managers care, othets do not.
Temp (Former Employee) –  Cape Canaveral, FLFebruary 15, 2018
I have never worked in a more unhealthy and unsafe environment. No ventilation and the inside of the warehouse was nothing but a haze of salt. There face masks wern't even th proper ones. No amount of water or fruit or sleep will prepare you for this job.
Cons
Very hazerdous working encironment with wrong safety equipment
Poor moral and unorganized
MAINTENANCE (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJanuary 30, 2018
I cannot speak for the company as a whole but the location im currently at is very poorly ran. moral is extremely low and there is no belief in positive reinforcement
Pros
close to home
Cons
hard workers are abused
Lot of different jobs
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fairport Harbor, OHJanuary 6, 2018
Is a nice place to work. You learn a lot of different jobs. Not to many people can say they work under lake Erie. Just get layed off. And for the area you get payed nice.
Laid off
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fairport Harbor, OHJanuary 4, 2018
constantly gettin laid off!!!! if you could work steady it would be a great place to work. need to get rid of upper management and get some people in ther that know how to mine!