Morton Salt Employee Reviews

It was a challenge...
Industrial Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cape Canaveral, FLAugust 18, 2019
The job was ok.... The expectations and resources was the stretch. Never learning from past experiences seems to be the norm for the Port Canaveral plant.
Values are Awesome
Application Software Support Analyst -Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2019
People are great and willing to help as well as AWESOME company parties and get togethers. Morton has been wonderful to me and training me be a better person in my career with them.
Millwright Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Rittman, OHJune 29, 2019
Everyone is professional. Great guys and gals to work with very little drama. Take care of us employees at least in my department can't speak for production can't read minds
Pros
Compensation excellent
Cons
Need to shut down on major holidays
Was a poorly managed business in Rittman 2009
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rittman, OHJune 22, 2019
My experience at Morton Salt led me to change careers. Poorly run, dilapidated facility, confused leadership. Knee jerk strategy with limited engineering competence to make it a frustrating experience...Glad I moved on....
Pros
Some nice folks in the mix
Cons
Poor management, unethical leadership
Stable well compensated place to work.
Evening Shipping Administrator (Current Employee) –  South Hutchinson, KSJune 5, 2019
Ten years on second shift. I enjoy my job. I appreciate my job. I am lucky to have the steady income and it's provided me well. Many people have been here for years and years. Salt will never go away. We need it for so many day to day reasons.
Pros
well paid
Used to be a great company to work for...
Vacuum Pan Operator (Current Employee) –  South Hutchinson, KSMay 12, 2019
It's sad that it has came to this, but, as above-mentioned, this used to be a great company to work for. Great pay, great benefits, job security, success, future, the quintessential American dream. Now, the only good thing left is the pay.
Pros
Hands on, mechanical, pay and 401k. Okay-ish vacation time.
Cons
Management, schedule, health insurance, did I say "management!?"
great pay
Utility (Former Employee) –  Grantsville, UTApril 20, 2019
i would walk around the warehouse putting stickers on wrapped product and clean up when ever needed, ocasionally drive a forklift to move backed up lines to speed up production.
Pros
Fantastic pay
Cons
Stressfull
No family time your life is Morton life
Millwright Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Rittman, OHApril 12, 2019
Fast pace no leadership lack of communication no work ethics out of younger employees to many meetings to discuss nothing about what needs done to improve work environment
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No communication
I was let go after 23 years of service with no real explanation,
Plant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Grand Saline, TXApril 2, 2019
I was let go after 23 years with no real explanation. I was overall a happy employee until this took place. It has been hard for me to recover emotional from this situation.
Bagger Operator (Former Employee) –  Grantsville, UT 84029February 11, 2019
Good people, good money, good benefits. Can’t say anything bad about Morton salt they care about their employees and they care about your family, safety is number one there.
Pros
Paid breaks, vacation, holidays off and paid, great benefits and insurance
Cons
Management need to be helpful
Warehouseman/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Cape Canaveral, FLJanuary 4, 2019
A typical work day was very busy, Learned to manage my job to complete what need to be done each day. Management was slow to help with a problem. Good working with fellow coworkers. Conditions was highly corrosive and extremely hot. Work I performed was enjoyable.
Pros
Good pay, holidays and vacations
Cons
Take lunch when you can, Hot, highly corrosive
Was okay but long hours
Research and Development Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Grantsville, UTDecember 29, 2018
My position was a little specific in that it was a position that is not normally offered and did not have the tools to do the work directly, but soon achieved what I needed to get done by finding the tools myself.
Pros
Some free lunches, safety day, training
Cons
Was a long and tiring day
Maintenance Planner
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Rittman, OHDecember 21, 2018
Very cut throat at middle management level. Bosses all had years in at this place, so i felt like i didn’t fit into their good ol boy clique. Really old equipment that broke down constantly. Maintenance crew who all wanted easy jobs and sent hard jobs to onsite outside contractors, but yet complained about outsiders doing their work ???? Unskilled maintenance workers were hired for who they know, but could not do simple pipe fitting jobs, welding jobs. Very very low skill set, yet most all of them had worked there forever.
I never felt accepted as i did not live in Rittman. Re- emphasis any new employee was not welcome. Felt like everyone was stuck in this old worn down plant because it is only job in-the area. Last resort kind of place. Management was awful.
A day at work
BARGE TENDER (Current Employee) –  WEEKS ISLAND LOUISIANANovember 15, 2018
First when you arrive you have a huddle. Then you get your assignment. You might have to shovel or you will load barges or sometimes you work with the mechanics
Pros
You will work with someone
Cons
Shovei salt
Best place I ever worked!
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Newark, CANovember 14, 2018
Morton is the best place I ever worked. Management cares about the safety of it's employees. Safety First was always the concern of both management and employees. We received at least one hour of safety training a week, and once a year we had Safety Day. The whole day was on safety training. The company made it a fun day learning all about working safely. They provided lunch for us, and we competed in games that had something to do with safety. The work environment was relaxed and the company did not push us to do the work in a manner that would be unsafe. There are times when things got confusing as what was the right product to load on the trucks, but we could always count on supervisors helping us.
Pros
we were giving meals many times.
Cons
many times we had to work 12 shifts, but the overtime pay was great
A last resort
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Rittman, OHNovember 13, 2018
Extremely stressful place to work. Management makes a good job ten times harder. Management will use scare tactics like layoffs to try to get more production out of there broken 80yrs old machines. There is a two tier pay scale. Tier one employee s will degrade you and expect you to do more work for 7-8 $ less an hr. Heath insurance is expensive with high deductibles. There is a two year lock in before u can bid on better jobs. The union is weak they rarely will back a tier two employee. They can't keep maintenance personal. You will fight equipment all day everyday. It's very common when you final have a week end off. For them to force the weekend while you're standing at the time clock. This company was a good back in the day but it's falling fast.
Best paying jobs in Van Zandt County, TX
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Saline, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I got no training. I was thrown into the entire job on the first day. Thank goodness there were filing cabinets full of previous employee work product. When the person who hired me left the company, the person who replaced him had less education and experience than I did but I wasn't considered since I was a woman.

I loved dealing with the retirees and helping them with their medical insurance problems and submissions. I also loved dealing with the employees in the plant and mine but found the other salaried employees unfriendly and unhelpful some even hostile because I got the job and their friend didn't

I learned a great deal about insurance and workers compensation. Since Morton Salt was self insured, I worked with their contractors who managed the claims. I also was able to home my typing and telephone skills, especially my typing skills. I had to deal with much statistical typign and had verious projects where I had to create and publish my work This required a lot ov typing that needed to be done quickly.
Pros
Opportunity to hone skills
Cons
Hostile work environment.
good place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Good place to work,management listens,good benefits,need better salary structure,also need better working conditions,good company name well established
Pros
good company
Cons
pay
Not the best.
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Rittman, OHSeptember 1, 2018
Still not the best. Downhill in a hurry. Long history of being an good company to work for but the new German owners have turned that around for the worse. Pay disparity between jobs.
Cons
Healthcare, poor retirement
Productive with a good atmosphere
EXECUTIVE ASST & PROCUREMENT PROJECT ASST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2018
Supportive management and groups; Encouraged to learn and participate in group / vendor meetings. Comfortable open office setting. Proper office etiquette practiced.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
lack of advancement