Motorists Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Positive
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 26, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Motorists & would not have chosen to leave but since early retirement was being offered to those of a certain age group & the fact that they were going to reduce staff anyway, the retirement package was my best choice
Pros
Positive working environment
Claims Adjuster Northwest
Claim Specialists (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 26, 2018
The typical day at work included: investigate, evaluate, mediate, analyze and negotiate claims on behalf of the company. I learned to participate in mediation and settle claims as quickly as possible.

My management was flexible and professional. The workplace culture was business like. The hardest part of the job was the travelling to mediation in different states. The most enjoyable part of the position was serving insureds.
Pros
Variety of claims settlements.
Cons
Traveling and being away from my family.
Inconsistent leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Senior executives are not on the same page, giving conflicting messages to the associates. A great deal of uncertainty and discomfort for the associates.
Anonymous
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 18, 2017
Strong organization working through many of the same issues most legacy P&C carriers are experiencing: mainframe environments, overlapping programs, sunsetting software and looking at increased inefficiencies with older processes.
Pros
Working 37.5 hours a week
Cons
Moving to 40 hours a week.
Motorists has recently has gone downhill
Content Integration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 21, 2017
Too many meetings and overhead bureaucracy. Spent too much time with circular dialogue and not enough time promoting peer to peer conversions. Fewer and fewer people who could actually do hands on work,
Pros
good benefits with retirement package
Cons
no job security or benefit for being a loyal employee
Please see below.
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 19, 2017
Typical day: on computer by 6:00 to 7:00am work on activities, mail, estimates. Weather permitting leave for appointments.

Learned: Each day is enjoyable, I enjoy working with people on their insurance needs and each day I take the opportunity to learn something new, either with my job, a word, gardening, etc...

Management: hands on, open, transparent, good people.

Hardest part of the job: travel time.

Enjoyable part: helping people with their insurance needs, making new friends and business partners.
Very good work environment
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 1, 2017
I was offered early retirement or I would never leave. I have enjoyed my experience. The benefits were excellent and the retirement package is more than fair.
Good company
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 10, 2017
Good company with interest in supporting the downtown community. Works with the Columbus Art Museum, Cristo Ray High School.

Encourages learning and educational opportunities. Also promotes wellness lifestyle. This include a fitness center and wellness coaching.
Pros
Available parking, cafeteria, and great benefits
Cons
Freeze on hiring
Great Place to work
Manager, Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 5, 2017
The Motorists Insurance Group has been a great place to work and has offered me many opportunities during my tenure there. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Good company to work for.
Multi lines adjuster (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 21, 2017
Worked for Motorists for 20 years. I acquired great knowledge in all aspects of commercial and personal lines claims. Good work atmosphere. ;Motorists is a good solid company.

Want to know more about Motorists Insurance Group?

Ask a question
Review
Resident Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 23, 2014
The people were great to work with. I have no regrets about working for them.
Going through tremendous growing pains right now
Infrastructure Services (Former Employee) –  ColumbusJune 14, 2014
Working in IT, the environment naturally changes all the time, however right now due to a shift in upper management there is a ton of changes occurring unilaterally. I feel that each team in IT want to do their own thing, but unless its in the "super important" category laid down by middle management the project that your team has been talking about, and working on for the past year will get pushed aside and lose all traction.

Work days are terribly long, and what used to be a ton of fun is no longer.

Learning is probably the shinning star in this company over the past 2 years I have learned more things than all other years combined.

Management is broken into 4 tiers: Lower, middle, upper, and executive (duh, right?) - lower tends to want to do the right thing by their employees, middle management tends to micromanage the heck out of their lower managers, upper management doesn't seem like they want to make any direct decisions and the executive team feels disconnected from what is going on in the trenches.

Love my co-workers - this is typically the core reason why I get up in the morning and actually go in, not to mention the culture of the teams are fantastic.

Hardest part of are the requirements out of management - I have heavy requirements of my time and not enough time in the week to do it. I do not get to spend as much time with my family as I used to (2 years ago) and I see this continuing to get worse.

The most enjoyable parts of the job are the co-workers, and having the ability to learn new things (although learning has slowed down because of the
  more... extreme demand for production work which has spiked over the past 2 years).

Overall - I feel that if your not in IT things generally are better, however at the same time things seem very difficult across the company with each department having their own challenges.
Pros
Culture, co-workers, and a very approachable executive team.
Cons
Poor compensation, work life balance is terrible, deplorable morale.
I would look elsewheres
Employee (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohioMay 5, 2014
Company invoking their VISION by CEO. If you want to insure your wife and family here, look elsewhere. If your spouse is working, she is required to go on her own insurance plan. You will pay two premiums, yours and theirs. Take it from experience, this place is operating on the good ole boys principal.
Pros
Employees are good people
Cons
Management wears blinders, and shades. See only what they want to see.
Many good people to work with. Management and compensation just average.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  IowaMay 2, 2014
Overall average company to work for. Great for people who already have family working there.
Great people, helpful environment
Web Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 10, 2013
This is a good company to work for. You're almost always busy, but it's manageable. My coworkers are great and can always help me with any questions I have. The hardest part of the job is learning the frameworks and how all of the applications work with it. Once you know how it works, you're good to go.
District Sales manager
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  INApril 13, 2012
Handle relationships with agents within district boundaries. Primarily responsible for underwriting and pricing new commercial business opportunities. Manage profit and loss for the district. Handle all marketing functions to agencies sharing and positioning information from Home Office. Responsible for prospecting new agency relationships to grow our market share.