Motorola Mobility Employee Reviews

Creative environment
Designer III Printed Circuit Board (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 4, 2016
Motorola makes excellent products yet the marketing is weak resulting in poor sales. I was provided the opportunity to learn something new everyday! Co-workers all give 100%.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Poor marketing and Sr. Management
OK place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAFebruary 25, 2016
I liked Motorola Mobility (Google --> Arris --> Pace). My immediate manager was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I thought I was making a very positive impact until the day I got laid-off. I was told it was a numbers game. I guess. This is now Arris/Pace and the Horsham facility (PA) where I worked apparently had a 15% layoff.
Pros
easy commute, good manager
Cons
insecure jobs
Was a Great Company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLFebruary 16, 2016
Motorola was an awesome company to work for. Yes, it was hard work and long hours but the people were smart and there was a sense of family. Benefits were great however once the company started losing money and was eventually split, employees lived in a constant state of fear for their jobs. Lack of vision and investment in technology by senior management led to the company's demise.
Pros
Leading edge technology in the mobile devices industry
Cons
Training no longer available, constant workforce reductions
learning environment
Technician Manufacturing Process, Senior (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was a great learning experience. Most of the people are excellent to get along with and are very willing to share knowledge.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Some engineers are out for themselves
Calm work environment
Distribution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2016
The work environment is awesome. The people are nice and friendly. I have no complaints about the Company other than there's no job security.
Pros
Free snacks and beverage, game room, cool work environment
Cons
no job security
Productive Work Place
Senior Mechanical Engineer Designer (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJanuary 22, 2016
Excellent experience and knowledge gain during the 4 years at Motorola. They expose you to the point where you manage your mechanical system from prototype to production
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
no time limits to work. (late nights and weekends)
Struggling for it's own future
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2016
Individual teams can be quite great at Motorola. Intelligent, cooperative coworkers abound and there is no shortage of raw talent, but one can't help but think they are just wasted in many cases. Questionable high level management decisions leads to mass layoffs periodically that are 5 years past the point where they are choosing to get rid of people based on any form of merit.

Bottom line, you could do cool, innovative and interesting things that will never see the light of day because some high level decision will wipe out your team before your stuff sees the light of day.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good benefits
Cons
Very little job security, poor morale.
Good place to work a lot to learn
Electronic/ Electric Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2016
Fun place to work ,training ,good benefit,learn more about new technologies,laser system,build smartphone.You learn a lot about low voltage ,fix smartphone,build ,troubleshoot.
A good company with many highly skilled and well trained employees. Teams worked together cross functionally toward common goals and objectives.
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJanuary 9, 2016
A great place to work at when I started in 1995. Cell phone technology was relatively new and rapidly developing. There was always something new going on and it was exciting to work with very motivated people.
Pros
Skilled, motivated co-workers. Synergy and dedication.
Cons
Tight time frames for product development and approval process.
An overall fair and fun company to work for.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Always room for advancement, always taking care of their employees and ensuring they were happy and excited to come to wok everyday to learn new techniques.
Okay Company
Senior Staff Test System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJanuary 4, 2016
It started out great, but the company didn't innovate and change with the times. Its bureaucratic upper management was short sighted and led by reaction instead of vision.
Excellent company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILDecember 22, 2015
Moved from sales to sales management. Was given the opportunity to receive my MBA. All items at this company were helpful in my movement through business management.
Poor Judgment
Senior Staff Test System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLDecember 3, 2015
The people in general were great, but the Senior leadership and decisions makers lack foresight. They are not forward thinking, we play a lot of catch-up with the industry. Ironically the talent is there to be the first to market on the big ideas, but the SLT and the new owners don't have vision.
Great place to work lots of people
Senior Engineering Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 22, 2015
I give the company an A. It is a great place to work. I had to deal with people from around the world it was great. The treat us well and expect the same from us.
A company whos glory days are long gone
Once proud employee now not so much (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2015
This company is a shell of what Motorola was in its prime. There is no job stability as the company has continually laid people off since 2000. You spend everyday wondering when your time will be up. Not a healthy environment to work in knowing your going to get released eventually. They are now owned by Lenovo, a Chinese company that just built a $30 million dollar R&D/manufacturing facility in China. That doesn't bode well for the Motorola employees left working in the states.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No job stability, no future, Chinese owned
Great company with pride and history
project manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2015
I have been working at Motorola Mobility (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work environment is still great and you'll be surrounded by the smartest people in the tech field. There's opportunity to grow and take on different challenges, but there are some departments that tend to be black holes with low opportunity. Fight for projects with visibility and stay away from testing / quality. I was able to work from home for several years and experienced good work life balance though this hasn't been the case over the last few years.

Cons

The company is losing money. You may not get a good package or have the flexibility/ opportunity experienced in the past.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating security, innovation and cooperation, forget politics. Keep colleagues happy & working together.
Productive great place to work
Senior Engineering Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 13, 2015
A good company to work for great culture. Great manager always a great to work for. A lot of people to help and share info with
Fast-paced, challenging and people oriented
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2015
There is always a certain amount of red tape in a big company like Motorola. But a typical day at work consists of understanding the project's requirements and what resources are made available to us to allocate. Time (which is translatable to cost) is always of an essence at Motorola and at least in my team.

I learned how to really listen to people whom I worked with (cross-functional teams) and learned the different technical terminologies that they use in their scope of work and how I can better communicate to them to assist in moving the project along.

My management was strong; with clear instructions and laid out project assignments which all of us worked very hard to achieve our goals. We worked together cohesively and built each other up. We invest in our strengths and work out our differences.

The hardest part of the job is that because the company is constantly transitioning, it was hard to keep up with the changes i.e people leaving due to lay off and voluntary resignation. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in a team with people who truly care about one another, apart from getting our jobs done. We learned how to joke and laugh with each other.
Pros
Great team, challenging assignments.
Cons
consistent changes in management/teams. Layoffs.
World Class Engineers
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2015
World Class Engineers developed many innovative products; team always does what it takes to drive new product development and deliver new product launches with high quality and drive to meet global customer expectations
Pros
Awesome products
Cons
Lack of market awareness of product competitive attributes
good
Software Develepment and Test Engineer(Intern) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2015
good company,good company culture. but I don't think it is not a good place for new grad since they are not using any fancy tools.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
big company common cons