Mott MacDonald Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Unstable and chaotic
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 9, 2018
Mott MacDonald is one of those companies that has no idea who they are because their leadership is completely disconnected. Employee owned in this case translates to top heavy staffing and a revolving door of new hires.
Started off Good
Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAJune 27, 2018
Now that in the United States we are no longer independently run, Mott MacDonald is just another corporate entity who treats people like numbers. If you keep your head down and blindly follow directions it is the right place for you.
Workplace
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJune 19, 2018
Company is ok to work for. There are no opportunities for growth. No training in place to further your advancement. A couple rounds of layoffs. People in the office are awesome,
Cons
Growth, No Training for Advancement, Management
Lots of hours!
Survey Party Chief (Current Employee) –  West Texas, Ohio, West Va.May 7, 2018
Great Company to work for, great opportunities for advancement. Job security can be somewhat iffy due to being contract workers... Cons are that You work constantly, if You take a layoff to spend time with Family, no telling when You might get called back.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No off time
Overall a good company to work for with good supportive co-workers.
Designer (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 3, 2018
This position allowed me to grow and learn new 3D software. My co-workers were supportive and it was a great work environment. My typical work day included working on various projects. I could start from a new project and take it from the review/ bid / Issue for construction phase or I could be given a project that was generated from another out of state office and ask to complete.
Great people, projects, and transparency; Location and dress code could be better
Water/Wastewater Specialist (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJMarch 14, 2018
The Metropark office at Mott MacDonald was a great office to work in, as it was a very friendly environment for picking up new skills and becoming acquainted with the business and engineering side of water/wastewater management. As an intern, I was able to gain valuable skills, knowledge, and connections to help me advance in my professional career path. It was also fantastic to have a voice at company meetings, and to have events outside of working hours to meet and interact with co-workers! Definitely not a running errands and getting coffee kind of internship; you will be valued for your skills and knowledge.

The main things I disliked about the job were that business casual attire was required (I just don't see much practicality in wearing ironed shirts and pants) and the local area I was working in did not have much in terms of recreational opportunities. However, I feel that these are both typical drawbacks to working in a professional/urban environment, and that Mott MacDonald is a company which will likely work to resolve these issues in the future.
Pros
Friendly learning and working environment
Cons
Dress shirt, khakis, and a love for urban areas required
outdoors
Party Chief (Former Employee) –  McMechen, WVFebruary 24, 2018
walking and enjoying nature climbing the mighty northern mountains. was able to learn new things about terrain with this company. great overall staff as well!
Great company
Lead Recruiter - US West Region (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 22, 2018
Great company. Great culture. The Mott MacDonald Group is a consultancy with headquarters in the United Kingdom. It employs 16,000 staff in 150 countries.
Organization and Problem Solving Skills
Field Inspector (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJFebruary 21, 2018
• Able to perform quality control construction observations for various highway roadway, general site work, maintenance and protection of traffic, drainage, earthwork, paving, concrete work, reinforcement steel placement, utility relocation work, coordination, and safety
Great environment of people and work moral.
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJFebruary 20, 2018
A typical day started with coming into the office getting myself a cup of tea or coffee and getting right into my work. I picked up a number applications related to the field that will help in later. The hardest part was adjusting from the hustle of outdoor work space to the quiet office space.
Diverse
Contract CAD/BIM Manager (Former Employee) –  DublinFebruary 19, 2018
Varied work with good experience. Work can be very stressful with tight deadlines. Other times it takes a long time for work to be won and a delay between one project and another. A company with worldwide offices so a chance to travel.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
Occasional periods without work
Very high turnover
Principal Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2018
Constant management changes caused frequent layoffs and back-fill of positions. There was no certainty of position and promises made by management to become a part owner were not fulfilled.

Purchasing of jobs at low price and admonishment of project staff who cannot produce a quality product at such low prices previously agreed to by management.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Hours
very demanding
Junior Instrument Man/ Rod Man (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 15, 2018
I loved my job with mott would of loved to keep working with the company.. I just have a family and a new born son.. was on 3 months without seeing them and it was just to stressful on me and my family.. They dont give you home time, if they did id still work there.
Pros
Money
Cons
not seeing the family
Electrical Team
Electrical Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Iselin, NJJanuary 14, 2018
Excellent place to work and grow. The electrical engineering team is slowly growing, but like anything else everything takes time.

Depending on for which electrical team you work for we all do something different.
-Industrial
-Commercial (LV)
-Instrumentation
-Water/Waste Water
-Short Circuit Study
-Substations Design (MV & HV)
-Lighting Design
and much more
Pros
bi-weekly lunch and learns
Cons
can't think of any
Great workplace, Relaxing
Civil CAD Designer/Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Township of Randolph, NJJanuary 6, 2018
I had the best manager during my 22+ years of employment, until he left and another manager took over the office, then everything went down the drain. They Close office and I left for another job.
Pros
Vacation days
Cons
Bad management
A great company for engineers, surveyors, and technical specialists. For other fields, not so much.
Document Controller/Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PADecember 16, 2017
Overall, Mott MacDonald is a great company if you are an engineer, drafter, CAD technician, surveyor, or other technical specialist.

However, support personnel tend to be greatly overlooked for their contributions to the company's success. A perfect example would be the fact that only the upper-level management are eligible for stock options and/or bonuses, which should be shared with ALL employees.

The company benefits are good and reasonable cost, however, their Health and dental insurance providers leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to coverages for certain procedures and medications.
Pros
Holiday hours, flexible schedules, occasional freebies.
Cons
Work/life balance not great, expected to handle multiple and difficult workloads, with no regards to experience level
Its an OK place to work. not great
AutoCAD Technician (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXDecember 5, 2017
its a good place to work. I think it can be a lot better. they could be more team oriented and more open to ideas. most change comes from the top, so change takes time.
Pros
great people, which makes enviroment relax.
Cons
not everyone is great. involment could be better.
All depends on your manager!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Iselin, NJSeptember 5, 2017
Good and profitable company, but slow to remove unproductive employees or poor managers. Stuck in the 80s in terms of work/life balance. If you are a great employee, they will pile more and more on you until you break, but mediocre employees they let slide and it's ok to do the bare minimum.
Lots of work and knowledge required
Field Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA.August 13, 2017
Started as an intern and continued as a field engineer. Did everything, from cost analysis to field works supervision. Some days work could start from 8AM and didn't stop until 8PM.

Worked with engineers with high knowledge in their respective areas, there for there was much to learn every day.

I was offered to continue with the company but the current crisis of Venezuela did not allow me to take the opportunity.
fun place to work
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAAugust 10, 2017
enjoyed working there. was a nice place to work. pay was not what i was used to but I was doing a less skilled job than previously. the job market was very slow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mott MacDonald. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight