Mount Hermon Association Employee Reviews

Fun, interesting place
Outdoor Science School (Former Employee) –  Mount HermonJuly 21, 2018
Days are pretty varied. Normal includes meals in the dining hall, taking people on hikes and teaching them about ecosystems and how to work together.
I learned a lot about myself, nature, community, people, and outdoor adventure skills.
Culture is communal and growth oriented.
Managers are amazingly kind and understanding and build great programs.
Hard part is finding a next job that compares to MH because many employees work here is short term.
I enjoy the variety of skills learned and all the fun and adventure that I am asked to include guests in as a part of my job. I deeply like some of the people I work with. I also enjoy seeing guests grow personally and in appreciation for God and nature.
Pros
Skilled management, beautiful location, cool co-workers, varied interesting work and chance to develop wide variety of skills, staff retreats, staff housing in expensive area, and free meals.
Cons
Low pay; few typical benefits (i.e. insurance); almost no advancement or long term opportunities.
Great place!!
Naturalist, Principal, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mount Hermon, CAJuly 17, 2018
Mount Hermon is an amazing community. Joining staff here means working a meaningful job and being part of an amazing family that will support and encourage you! People work hard here to serve guests and each other. Surviving in the non-profit world means there are a lot of people who work full time hours with none of the benefits, but overall Mount Hermon cares very much for their employees.
Best job!
Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Ponderosa LodgeJuly 17, 2018
Working as a Naturalist with the Outdoor Science School program at Mt. Hermon was the best job! Every day was spent teaching and exploring with kids outside. It was a lot of fun. One of the best aspects of the job (outside of teaching) was the personal growth and community. The Outdoor Science program is centered on community...the people became family. That space allowed for a lot of growth and was extremely special. The management is amazing. They truly care for each person...they support, encourage and help each person grow and lean into their natural strengths and abilities.
Pros
Housing, beautiful environment, community
Cons
not designed for a permanent career.
Great community and fun work vibe
Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Ponderosa LodgeJuly 5, 2018
I loved my year working as a Naturalist for Mount Hermon's Outdoor Science School. Things were busy but balanced and it was so rewarding to work outside in nature with kids everyday. The focus on community life and staff bonding made it an especially wonderful experience. Room and board were included in this position relieving a lot of the stress of living in an expensive area.
Pros
Community
Poor management from the top creates toxic environment
Summer staff (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Unfortunately the former CEO was a narcissist and treated anyone who disagreed or had concerns with contempt and eventually would dismiss them. Had a few directors that were terrible to work under but the CEO kept the bad eggs and would let quality employees go.

There is a new CEO and all are waiting to see if he has what it takes to rid the camp of a few nasty people who manipulate and harm good people. These mean folks have been given plenty of grace and second, third, fourth chances to work well with others but have failed Every time. However, they are chameleons and can hide for a bit. So, wait and see when they mess up again.

Camp ministry is a wonderful job. Lives are changed and God does use this setting to bring good. Unfortunately, MH is unhealthy environment to work in.
Pros
God does great things at camp
Cons
Bad leadership
Leadership lacks control of directors
Summer Staffer and previous full time employee (Former Employee) –  Mount Hermon CaliforniaApril 5, 2014
I have worked both as a summer and permanent employee. As a summer staffer, you will have an amazing time. However as a permanent employee, Mount Hermon has become toxic. The executive director has allowed other staff members to "lead" the organization. This leadership chooses favorites, if you are not a preferred employee then you are slandered.
Pros
Wonderful experience for summer staffers
Cons
Toxic leadership