Mount Holyoke College Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Should not be sponsoring a police agency
Campus Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 20, 2018
Because the administrators have no idea, nor interest, as to the working structures and philosophies of a police agency, they respond inappropriately in situations. As an example, I was terminated for following the training and experience that I had developed during a 35+ year career as a police officer; 30 as a municipal officer. Totally arbitrary and politically based/biased.
Stimulating environment that encourages creative, critical thinking.
Research Assistant - Department of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 15, 2018
Working in a chemistry professor's lab, I learned how to perform high-throughput spectroscopic assays & spreadsheet analysis. Granted the freedom to work independently, the research team met every other week to discuss progress and results.
Great
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAMay 30, 2018
Well Managed, great work environment, awesome staff and students, tons of room for advancements, and great food, they just remodeled there whole dining hall 100 percent better.
Pros
stuednts
Cons
non
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAApril 21, 2018
It's good to work here as a college student, I've heard a lot of complaints from full time workers about compensation although. I hear the health plan is very bad along with some other priorities.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Slow paced at times
Good college
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAMarch 19, 2018
It's a good school with a great psych department doing interesting research. Can't really comment on working conditions because I'm just a student and not an actual worker
Mount Holyoke College
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAMarch 16, 2018
I do enjoy working for this department. However, there sometimes is no room for advancement and the collaboration is under new management. Great environment and a good stepping stone for those starting out in law enforcement. However, you can make a career here too. The benefits are good. The college campus is a great time and your co workers are good people.
very diverse and competitive
Teaching Assistant - Linear Algebra (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAFebruary 13, 2018
I have studied my undergraduate at MHC and have worked as a TA at Math&Stats department for two years. Amazing community and very supportive. Beautiful campus.
Great benetfits
Campus Police Officer (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MADecember 14, 2017
They have great benefits and work load is manageable. Great for someone who likes a slow pace setting. Management is willing to work with you on a professional and personal level.
This was my college
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MANovember 24, 2017
I worked here in college, both as a student teacher as well in the psychology department when I wrote my thesis. Both were enjoyable experiences with positive work environments.
Pros
supportive
Slow paced job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MANovember 4, 2017
This job had very limited tasks, and involved you to be able to work at a slow pace in order for the tasks to last all day. The hardest part of the job was finding where the janitor closets were, and figuring out which chemicals to use to clean.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
slow shifts
Fun place to work.
Staff Sergeant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAOctober 18, 2017
Beautiful environment with many good people who work well together. Inclusive environment with many opportunities to network and engage with peers and students.
Pros
Wonderful environment
Cons
Limited opportunities to advancement.
A lot of fun being a TA
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAOctober 16, 2017
I've definitely found a lot of joy in being a TA. It's very rewarding to hold office hours and explain theoretical concepts to students. I'd definitely recommend!
ARC Van Driver (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 27, 2017
New challenges available on a daily basis. When not driving I work in the office sorting mail, processing packages, taking photo ID's and waiting on students
Pros
friendly enviroment
Wonderful team and colleagues
Head Coach (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 16, 2017
Was able to further develop my coaching skills. Enjoyed coaching those who ran for me. My colleagues were wonderful and always willing to help one another.
Great work enviroment
ARC Van Driver (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAMay 15, 2017
The position I hold is academic year. I drive the students with accessibility issues. It is a wonderful place to work and I have learned a lot. When it is slow I work in the Office checking in packages from US Mail, UPS, FEDEX and DHL. I also check packages and mail out as students come in to pick them up.

There is no hard part of this Job. I enjoy meeting and speaking to the students from all walks of life and different countries.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Terrific place to work - diversity and multiculture
SQL Developer (contract) (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAMarch 16, 2017
It was a pleasure to work at Mount Holyoke College - great environment, beautiful college and landscape. You can take a walk during the lunch or attend the gym.
The college is located close to UMASS, Amherst and Smith,
you can attend many cultural events and meetings.
Superb undergraduate education at a historically all women's college
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MADecember 1, 2016
I am a language student in my final year of undergraduate education.
I work as a tour guide for the Office of Admission. I also work as an Italian language tutor. These are excellent positions that have helped me learn many things about leadership and communication.
Worked as a custodian
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAAugust 22, 2016
My family went through a terrible time, I took some time off during the summer to spend with them. They fired me. If they want you gone they'll find a reason
Pros
Great pay
Cons
They could care less about you
Good place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 1, 2016
I worked for my academic advisor in her linguistics lab. I would run subjects for various experiments including my own which I designed as a part of an independent study project. Through this experience I was able to hone my customer service skills, as well as my critical thinking and research abilities. My advisor helped me to develop my research skills and was an inspiration to work under. My co-workers were other students who were in the same lab. I enjoyed working with them because I was in a different major than the majority of them so it was always interesting to talk about what they were learning. The hardest part of my job was the downtime that I had between subjects. I usually used this time to work on my own projects or homework but it could be a bit boring sometimes. I'm really good at entertaining myself though so it was not too bad at all. The best part of my job was the satisfaction that I got out of seeing the results of my experiment and talking to my advisor about what I had learned. Even if the results meant that I needed to tweak the design of the study, seeing that I had made something was really rewarding for me.
Pros
Able to design and run my own experiment
Cons
Lots of downtime
Lab Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MADecember 3, 2015
Working in the lab was helpful as provided experience and left me with a sense of confidence. The lab was very interesting and I enjoyed learning how it functioned.