Mountain Area Health Education Center Employee Reviews

As an Intern, this is a great place to learn
Education and Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 27, 2019
During my time at MAHEC, I addressed the technological issues of the facility and i really appreciated my time at the facility. I learned more about the healthcare industry than in any other branch of my life.
Terrible Management
Non clinical (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 7, 2019
I worked here for many years in a non clinical position and it is very much as stated by others. The administration and HR do nothing about bad mangers/supervisors no matter how many people complain or leave. Pay is mediocre at best, but health insurance and PTO do make up for it to an extent. Many valuable competent employees left rather than put up with a hostile work environment.
Not the great employer that they think they are
FT Employee (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 4, 2019
It is a job and a paycheck. Other than that expect to be taken advantage of. They also maximize each employee and take forever replacing people when they leave. This leaves staff overworked and stressed. Management spends a lot of time patting themselves on the back and praising how great of a job they do. Reality is that the employees are very unhappy and there is a large turnover to prove it. They really could careless if you stay or not. If you have other job options do not work at MAHEC. Most who do are looking for another job within a few weeks. I don't expect the culture to change anytime soon.
Pros
Paycheck and benefits
Cons
Have to park off campus because management has set up the perfect storm.
If possible, find another place to work. Poor pay, poor management
Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 16, 2018
I worked at MAHEC for about two years. During my tenure, I interacted with all types of people/employees. I wouldn't recommend this place as I had the misfortune to meet their COO and other upper level managers that don't care about employee's morale or retention. If they know you're productive, they will exploit you until you quit. If you're slow and or lazy, they will nurture you until they fire you.
Not really open to diversity, all but a few upper level managers are white and they don't really care about giving opportunities to minorities. When you're hired, the introductory meeting will be welcoming. After that, everything is filtered down and your voice will never be heard.
Not even think of going to HR, they report to the COO and she will block any path to resolution or elevating the issue to their CEO.
Pros
Health Insurance - If using their network
Cons
Upper Level Management, Opportunities for Growth, Compensation
No Direction, No Planning, No support.
Peer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 28, 2018
Working with MAHEC became a nightmare quickly. Supervisor inexperienced and unable/unwilling to learn, grow or teach. High expectations with no direction. Employees are expected to navigate with little to no support, but expect to be disciplined quickly.
Great Place to Work
RN (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 9, 2018
MAHEC is an amazing organization! Quality compassionate patient care provided by an engaged and innovative healthcare team! We all love the jobs we do and the care we provide. We work together great as a team.
Thankful for the opportunity
Coder (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 25, 2018
I worked at MAHEC on a temporary basis to help them with a project. I was grateful for the opportunity to get my foot in the door in my new career and to gain some experience. However, based on the low pay and the rudeness of some of the employees in other departments I would not pick them for a long term career.
Pros
Allowed me to gain experience
Cons
Not enough help, mandatory overtime, a few "toxic" long-time employees
Productive, fun, and collaborative workplace
Ob/Gyn Undergraduate Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 26, 2017
One of the best places I have ever worked. I was able to work during whatever hours I wanted as long as I met at least 30 hours per week. I learned so much and improved so much as a person.
Not for new grads/people who can't "hit the ground running"
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Biltmore, NCNovember 4, 2017
I am a recent grad and after 5 days on the clinical floor I was told I needed to improve by 100% in a few days. I was never given the help to do so and sought it out myself. Despite this management simply decided that I would not be working there anymore no matter what I said about how I had worked to improve.
Worse than any other company I worked before
Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 27, 2017
I agree with the other coments in here. The COO is racist and classist. I personally interacted with her several times and she was always cold and calculating. When the doctors are around her she changes her attitude. I would definitely go back once she's gone.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Management, Salary
Do not recommend working here. Poor pay and over-worked
Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 7, 2017
MAHEC is a friendly yet very narcissistic and classicist place to work. They only care about the doctors and overwork the employees. Their HR Director is very competitive and professional but she works under the COO's supervision who doesn't listen to anyone and doesn't believe in employee's growth. She will rather hire someone from outside than promote a hard-working employee.
The president is a genuine human-being, though.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Poor pay, over-work, growth opportunities.
Nice people, outdated management practices
Web/Database Programmer (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 1, 2017
Colleagues are very professional and friendly. Unfortunately management follows outdated management practices. No advancement opportunities.
Productive and fun workplace
Program Assistant II/Audiovisual Team Member (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 24, 2014
The culture at MAHEC is amazing. They offer free Education programs as long as you work for MAHEC. Management is fair and always open to suggestions. Co-workers are friendly and supportive.
Pros
free healthcare
Cons
no overtime
I wouldn't recommend it!
CMA (Former Employee) –  AshevilleSeptember 12, 2014
Management is unfair and unjust - worst money I ever made as a nurse!
Pros
Fun to work with new MDs
Cons
Management - values
Did not enjoy the work environment
Senior. Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 2, 2013
Poor company morale, great benefits, poor compensation. Did not enjoy working there.
Excellent
Coder/Auditor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 12, 2013
Enjoyed my time there. Management was pleasant and helpful. Co-workers were always cheerful.

Hardest part of the job was physician audits.

Most enjoyable part was being around excited expectants moms.
Pros
Working hours. My own office.
Cons
Demands of multiple tasks.