Mountain Valley Child and Family Services logo
Mountain Valley Child and Family Services

Mountain Valley Child and Family Services Employee Reviews

Showing all 20 reviews.

Diverse community but toxic work environment

We work with people from many backgrounds which is great. However there management is inconsistent and policies, expectations are unclear or reactive

Pros

Work with youth, diverse community

Cons

Management, reactive, unrealistic expectations

Tough place to work / advance in

Not enough support from upper management... upper management focuses on driving unrealistic goals for students & staff ... staff members did not seem overall supported by management and often placed in dangerous & non constructive situations... they'd rather burn through employees & replace them rather than train them up & have a solid team. Possibly because they've chosen to not fix major issues with the company's culture

Badly managed

This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. The management doesn't work together and everyone is always on a different page on what is best for the kids. Nothing gets done and the kids progressively get worst by being here. There is a high turn over rate because oncoming staff make more than the staff that have been there for a long time. Nobody is comfortable to make complaints because the head of HR is a family member and the clinician supervising the therapist lives out of state.

Cons

management, high risk of injury

Do not work for this company

Toxic work environment. Unprofessional upper Managment. No support. There is never enough staff and it is rare you kind find any support especially when it’s needed.

Wonderful staff and supervisors, very stressful and underpaid

This job is extremely stressful on an emotional and physical level. Most of these kids have experienced horrendous conditions and circumstances. Physical and verbal assaults are common (to other clients and staff). The staff and supervisor (mine, at-least) are incredible people and true heroes. That being said, the company is continually fighting to stay afloat and there is very little mobility and little to no chance of getting a raise. The ranch is beautiful, but the activities available for the kids is minuscule. Boredom and restlessness is a constant concerns because it can lead to serious outburst. Short-staffed is commonplace as well although all staff try there best to keep each-other upright and ok. There is a tremendous amount of constant paid training.

Child Welfare wealth of experiences

This job will give you all the experiences you need as a stepping stone to other types of social service/ social work jobs. Not only do we get experience working with a variety of professionals, we also get a variety of clients and their families to work with. This job is demanding for sure- just the paperwork alone will have you thinking you're still in college, though the relationships built and growth seen with clients and peers makes the demands worth it. Like any/ all child welfare positions- this is a stepping stone job...or you stick around for the kids. Medicaid and the public REALLY don't care about children...or we'd get funded accordingly.

Great place to learn but not for long term employment.

Great staff and clients but struggle with administration. Micro-managing, meeting and no follow through. There never seems to be a full work crew. In my 2 years here, there was not a full staff of therapist, causing extra work for the ones available. If a therapist for this company, you must be available 24/7.

Milhous By Any Other Name

They changed the name to avoid being associated with themselves. Witnessed abuse, employees leaving at 1am to get drunk before their 7am shift, and when I reported it and informed them I was quitting, they refused to meet with me to hear what I had witnessed. They only called me back days after the fact after I had tried to turn it over to law enforcement.

Upper management egos, nepotism and favoritism

This is a short term job that will help you with understanding why there is such a high turnover rate. One of the worst companies I have ever worked for but at the same time from the horrible experience comes understanding what does not work and what not to do. The upper management has been there for years and only want to keep there power. Are not willing to change. Worst job ever apply with caution

Great for a short term job

The coworkers are very supportive, but at times management and company policy can be difficult to completely understand. And in a fast pace environment, that can make doing your job very difficult. They are extremely under staff and set impossible expectations on their employees.

Jobs at Mountain Valley Child and Family Services

See more jobs
Administrative Assistant
Sacramento, CA
21 days ago

fun place to work, coworkers very supportive

Management very supportive and professional, you can play soccer during your work hours with kids, and still got paid for it. Free breakfast, lunch and snacks. Company organizing a lot of events for kids and staff. Everyday something new. Good place to grow professionaly.

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch, snacks, fun

Cons

I wish healthcare benefits could be better

great for experience, fun time with the kids.

a great job for those willing to learn, be empathetic, caring, and those who PAY ATTENTION to the sneaky things the kids WILL try to get away with. the kids are great, they teach you a lot. turnover is very high because people cannot handle the extreme behavior/restraints/possible injuries. when you have a good team, this job is smooth and 8 or 16 hours goes by as fast as possible. BUT this company either hires no one for long periods of time (causing burnout for the current staff) or they hire lazy staff who are terrible and don’t hold the kids accountable. Those staff members who work with the kids in the houses that have been working at this company for 10+ years and are in positions of “power”, need to leave because they threaten to harm the kids if they don’t behave and disrespect the line staff on a daily basis.

Pros

great learning experiences, can get any job in mental health after 2-3 years of working here

Cons

lazy team members, finding a good team is hard - when you find it, higher management break up the team.

Great place to work with constant professional development!

Being surrounded by nature, getting to hike, fish and play games with clients while getting paid to do it! This place rocks. Yes, client can be very challenging at times but being able to help kids who are in need is very rewarding. This place is filled with employees who are passionate about the work they do and that really is a great thing. I love working here and I plan to make this place a career!

Pros

Free meals, team environment, employee referral bonus, health insurance, sick pay, vacation pay, holiday pay, personal time pay, paid training

Cons

Clients can be challenging at times

Flexible and caring

MV is a great company to work for if you need flexible hours. They offer great Paid time off and you can often request time off with short notice. If you are direct care staff, there is opportunity for growth. If you are an intern as a social worker or a therapist, it is a great place to earn hours quickly. They go above and beyond taking care of the clients. It takes someone with a strong personality and dedication to stay there as the clients and even staff can be challenging at times. Just like every company there are improvements that need to happen such as implementing better benefits. Overall, I enjoyed and continue to enjoy my time at MV.

Pros

Flexibility, Pto, growth

Cons

Health care benefits

It depends

It all depends on the mood and who is supervising you. Now be aware that these kids can beat the sh** out of you and there are only so many things you can do to stop them legally. Staff is overworked and underpaid. There are a lot of things you can do that you normally would do during your free time, which includes fishing, hiking, playing board/card games, and many other things. So far I would say it's not too bad of a place to work. I enjoy the flexible hours, but dislike the lack of consistency of communication between management. It's enjoyable to see all the animals on the property and to be able to interact with most of the animals (e.g. Llamas, goats, mouflons, ponies, horses).

Pros

flexible work hours

Cons

healthcare is too expensive ($900) for just my husband and I

Does not stand by its mission

This company does not give young at risk youth any life survival skills. They are just housed and disciplined. When an employee comes long and try to change this, that employee is shunned.

Cons

life skills are not provided to the clients.

Fun work place with fishing and bike riding

I like working at mountain valley because of all the outdoor activities and the free food and the ranch setting. Some times clients are assualtive and the staff is not organized

Pros

Free food

Cons

Assaultive kids

Management is horrible and they pay sucks

Too much to deal with while only getting paid (as a MSW ) for 13.40 starting pay. You are always at risk of getting hurt or punched all the time and the higher ups do not respect you. We have new contracts with Kaiser and each client is worth a lot of money but we havent received a raise. I have a degree and get paid as much as people who don't. When i asked for a raise I was disrespected and lied to. Please it's not worth working here. Lots of drama too and too much favoritism with supervisors. Not worth it

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

horrible pay and management, too much drama

Tough job, but an amazing experience

It's tough to work there. You see some upsetting things, and they can be under-staffed. HOWEVER, the people I worked with and the work I did changed my life. It's an amazing place to be. The staff care about the clients and they care about each other. You work together to stay safe and keep the place running. Co-workers are caring, supportive, and respectful of one another. I loved working there, and I miss it. I've seen other group homes first hand, and Mountain Valley goes FAR above and beyond what they are required to. They enrich the lives of their residents with education in caring for horses and farm animals, they also provide activities that you don't see in other group homes: hiking, fishing, biking, woodshop, gardening. I truly respect what Mountain Valley does for these kids.

Pros

Beautiful surroundings, get to be outside as much as you want, learn new skills

Cons

Dangerous, upsetting subject matter, demanding

The kids are great, but there's a lack of support from management

Management can often make you feel unheard, make some necessary changes, and has excuses for delaying any advancements, raises, or any other support you may need.

Pros

Always have hours to pick up, bonding with residents, paid sick time

Cons

Often no time for breaks, lack if support, dangerous, lack of communication, quick turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mountain Valley Child and Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6

Questions about Mountain Valley Child and Family Services

Mountain Valley Child and Family Services Reviews by Job Title

Discussion topics at Mountain Valley Child and Family Services

Work from home

Explore work from home during COVID-19, remote work support and work-life balance.

COVID-19 response

Explore leadership during COVID-19, working conditions and WFH support.

• Companies>