Mountain West Bank

Mountain West Bank Employee Reviews

I loved changing from the retail environment to the office environment. I am disappointed in the lack of training and obvious favoritism at Mountain West. I had such high hopes for this to be an amazing place, but I was not really treated like I knew anything because of my retail background and lack of training in the banking world.
I am challenge every day. I love the people I work with. They bring the fun and are always there to help when you need it. You can talk to management about anything and treat you like family.
Cons
Was a good place to start a career in financials. I didn't like the management and really should have utilized the Human Resources department more often.
Pros
Never let anyone go no matter how bad
Cons
Never let anyone go no matter how bad
The want you to believe they care about people, however, when push comes to shove, they only concerned with bottom line. Very misleading work culture.
Working at Mountain West Bank is very fulfilling. The let us contribute to the community and have special days to celebrate working for them. They have great benefits and 401K contribution matches. The also give us very lifetime valuable training and pay us for the time to do so.
Pros
401K great benefits
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Loved my time working with Mountain West Bank. My team that I worked with day in and day out was amazing from every location. They promote loving where you work and having fun. My manager would often sit with me monthly to discuss where I wanted to advance within the organization, and how they can help get me there. Mountain West Bank cares for its employees and wants them to succeed. I can say I still definitely miss working with my old crew.
Management was not the best. The bank was very political. HR was not the best and used poor judgement on some things. I am glad for the experience I received. Advancement was based on time. So you could not perform well and advance at a quicker rate. You simply had to put in your 'time' to advance. Which in turn does little to motivate one to get to a better spot.
Loved working at MWB. I worked there for nearly two years and became very close to my co-workers, and my clients. Would definitely recommend this job to anyone.
Mountain West has ALOT going for them. Overall the best bank to work for but you get paid less than what Walmart offers. The compensation is a joke, the management promises you so much but does not deliver on any of it. You are not taken seriously unless you are a managers favorite.
Pros
1 hr lunches, team
Cons
pay, management over promises and under delivers.
When you get on to the right team of individuals it’s really a blast at work. Whether you’re behind the scenes or working in a branch. There’s a great philosophy behind the culture at MWB.
There is an old saying that says you can get 2 out 3 -- something done right, done fast, or done cheap. MWB expects all three. The starting pay for a teller is $11 - which is what the local fast food joints pay. After 6 months you can advance to a whopping $12.25 but believe me, you earn every cent. You are expected to do an insane number of transactions using archaic software that often requires several screen changes to complete a simple transaction. And of course, you better be accurate because you are dealing with other people's money. I often saw mistakes being made -- teller cash drawers over or under and several times deposits put into the wrong account. Most if not all of these mistakes were directly related to how fast you were expected to complete a transaction and move onto the next customer. The lobby and drive up would be full so the pressure was on. Even with high numbers of customers coming into understaffed branch, you better hand out Tell-A-Friend referral slips to everyone. That way when the customer's friends open accounts, our customers can wait even longer in line the next time they come in. The sheer amount of tasks you were expected to do in addition to processing transactions, made the job stressful. Daily reports, travel notifications, wires, closing accounts, fraud reports, referring other products, rotating work, help customers with their online banking, etc. made sure that there was no such thing as down time. None of these jobs was particularly hard, it was just the amount of work you were expected to squeeze into a day. And - more...
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Low pay, big responsibilities, high expectations, lots of stress
Teamwork and great customers made the job fun and interesting. Everyday challenges of helping people manage their finances was always exciting. I enjoyed seeing regular faces on a daily or weekly basis.
Pros
Work hours
I really enjoyed my time here for the almost five years I worked here. The culture was great, teams were fabulous and the work environment was low stress. The managers did a great job implementing fun into work and not making it so serious. We were all successful because of that. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Keep your mouth shut people like to talk. I don't want to continue with this conversation however I am required to type 150 mimimum characters. Only 2 way.
I worked with a good team. Management in our department was a problem, but the company as a whole was okay. Benefits were really good and the culture was good.
If you are a Lemming and do everything you are told, even if you think it is wrong, feel free to join this club. No support from HR and if you want to share any idsued conffidentially sith HR, you are told you arent allowed to.
Pros
Coworkers were great
Cons
Management and politics
My day started by walking up to the department, entering, saying high to my coworkers, and getting settled at my desk. To be completely honest, my job could get very boring. My job was to take all files and make sure that the required documents were on the file. If not I had to look through the paper file and scan the document into the computer.
Pros
Nice coworkers, No impossible tasks.
Cons
No healthcare for interns (we were only temps)
Busy workday and have to be ready to like long days. Demanding but rewarding. Volunteeering is good too. Merged with CGlacier brought about challenges
I thoroughly enjoyed working for mountain west and would highly recommend this place to anyone. I worked with the most wonderful people. I loved their culture. Compensation was decent as well.
There is a big divide between management and 95% of the employees with both communication and salary. There are not very many advancement opportunities.
While there are a lot of good people working at Mountain West Bank, very few are in upper management. They don't really have a very good track record with employees, regardless of their motto ''Love where you bank, love where you work''. HR wears the pants and are very controlling. Employee suggestions and feedback are encouraged and are suppose to be anonymous, however don't believe it, responses are often detrimental to the employee who provided them. Management and HR are more interested in selling and creating the appearance that it's a good company to work for, rather than having their employees best interest in mind. Be leery of the smoke and mirrors. In the 4-5 years that I was there I saw many tenured employees get pushed out or fired with no appreciation of their long term commitment to the company. If you have an opportunity for employment elsewhere, you should highly consider taking it.
  1. Employee Reviews