Mountainland Head Start, Inc. Employee Reviews

Opportunities to learn new skills
Disabilities & Mental Health Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 7, 2019
Learned to manage time, management. The most enjoyable is working with teachers and children. The hardest part of the job is to handle children with very difficult behaviors and how to teach them new skills of solving their anxieties and frustrations.
Nice working environment and a meaningful company
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 29, 2018
Typical day included researching for upcoming upgrades and assisting the employees with the technological aspect of their objectives. The workplace has a nice and unique culture as it is a pre-education facility, so you are working in order to provide pre-Kindergarten services to children.
Dont Work Here!
Assistant Teacher/Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 17, 2018
Seriously terrible environment, managament is hard to work with and it makes your job miserable, I would never want to work there again and dont suggest anyone else work there.
Pros
The Kids
Cons
pretty much everhting else
Very rigid and focused on federal guidelines
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 18, 2018
Head Start has an awesome mission. But the management gets so focused on 1,700 policy and procedures that you forget to enjoy your job! You're working with children, but sometimes they focus so much on charting their scores or maintaining federal guidelines that it sucks all the fun out of it. They made a lot of improvements during the time I was there (like getting internet and email in 2011), but the new changes also brought a very business focused environment. I wanted to be warm and friendly with families, not worried if I'm wearing slacks and a button up shirt to finger paint with preschoolers. I thought that was the way it had to be in order to meet federal guidelines. But I worked at another company later and realized you can meet federal guidelines AND enjoy your time with the children. I would like to see Head Start not get so hyper focused on objectives and policies that they forget the objective of helping children enjoy learning! A few dozen preschoolers in a room all day can be stressful, but there are also moments to laugh and enjoy it! So much potential if they took a little less focus on meeting a check list of standards and let the staff relax and enjoy the hilarious 4 year old at the lunch table!
Pros
cute kids!
Cons
very rigid, hyper focused on policy and procedures, very business focused
Great Place to Learn and Grow
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 7, 2018
MHS's mission drives everything that is done at this agency. This means that all decisions made, programs implemented, and funding is for the benefit of the families served, which I loved. Having worked on the Family Service team, I felt valued through constant training and opportunity to move up if there was a position available. The executive director is sharp and considerate of every department. I loved having Christmas break and Spring break off. As far as pay is concerned, you have to recognize that it's a non-profit whose getting it's funding from the government, you're not going to get rich. Once you accept this, then the focus is on the mission and making it fun. Luckily I had a team that was very social. The agency as a whole, however, didn't make much of an effort to celebrate or gather to get to know other co-workers. These attempts were shut down quickly. If you don't care about that stuff, then it's no big deal.
Pros
Same breaks as public schools, collaboration from other departments, promotions from within
Cons
Not much funding to work with, seasons of stress and tension, workplace celebrations
Great for obtaining experience
Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 7, 2018
8-4:30 work day
Learn how to advocate for clients, Network with community health advocates
Amazing Management
Culture is innovative and collaborative
Pay is the hardest because it's government funded
Helping children is the best part.
Pros
School Calendar
Cons
Pay
Collaborative agency with a great mission.
Child Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 19, 2018
Mountainland Head Start is an agency with a the mission of empowering children and families to succeed. Employees work together to provide preschool to children ages 3-4 and make sure the physical needs of the family are being met as well. The staff work well together and innovative ideas are encouraged.
Wonderful Team Environment
Parent Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 24, 2017
Mountainland Head Start is a non-profit preschool that has clearly formed objectives for serving their clients in the best way possible. The organization has a great team environment that is non-competitive and everyone works together in a collaborative manner.
Fun Work Place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 24, 2017
On a typical day you are with the children for six hours. The day is filled with planned fun activities that are also very educational.

I learned to be simple and have fun in the simple things.

I absoutley loved working with the children.
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
Lots of documenting
Negative job culture and employees not supported
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Utah County, UTMarch 14, 2017
Very negative culture and each year requirements increased not pay I've never seen teachers so unsupported & low moral Employees paid to write reviews
Official response from Mountainland Head Start, Inc.
March 22, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are committed to creating a supportive, transparent, and collaborative work environment for all our employees. We are very sorry your experience in our agency did not match our intention. Being a federally funded not-for-profit program means many regulations to follow and creates challenges for us as an employer in terms of pay since we are at the mercy of congress to appropriate funds for staff salaries. In spite of these challenges, the work we do is rewarding in so many ways since we are relentless about empowering families. We have such a unique opportunity to provide a positive impact on a child's life who otherwise is subject to the negative effects of poverty. That said, we are thankful you took the time to share your opinion and perspective so we can reflect on it and think about ways we can do more to ensure our employees feel supported, valued and appreciated.

Fulfilling job with great employees
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 24, 2017
Mountainland Head Start has been a great place to work. It is so fulfilling working with the children and families that we serve and helping them to better their circumstances. The employees are great, and there is always something new to learn and new opportunities to grow.
Pros
Free lunches for classroom staff!
Very welcoming environment, fun, friendly staff to work with
Child Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 24, 2017
My job is a good balance of working with children and then working with the administration staff. The workplace is very friendly and helpful. Management staff are always willing to help and answer any questions. My work days are enjoyable and fun.
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
Long hours some days.
An excellent place to work!!!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Provo officeJanuary 20, 2017
Mountainland Head Start is an excellent place to work. The administrative team support education and training. MHS also provides opportunities to grow.
Pros
Opportunity to grow and learn
Cons
So far nothing
I miss them
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 19, 2014
I left my job because we moved to another place. I loved what I did, I felt like it was a wonderful environment to learn and grow. I felt like I was able to make strong bonds with the families that I served as well as my co-workers.
Pros
flexibility in scheduling
Cons
odd hours at times
Very good place to work, values their employees and listens to feedback.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 17, 2014
I loved working for this company. If they had been able to give me full time hours, I would have never left. They are a very caring and giving company and they actually listen to their employees. I would refer friends and family to work for this company.
Pros
Great work environment. Great leadership. Great sense of teamwork.
Cons
Could not offer full time for my position (Cook).
Steel mill
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 27, 2013
Bankrupt still mill in Orem, Utah. good pay and benefits, but some of the worse mangement I had ever expierenced. Sifts 12 hour on 12 off, 4 days on 4 days off. I learned about functions of a powe plant basics and water treatment plant specifics.
Pros
pay & benefits
Cons
mangers lacked any supervisory skills except do it or get fired.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mountainland Head Start, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Mountainland Head Start, Inc. Reviews by Location