Mr. Handyman
55Below average

Mr. Handyman Employee Reviews

United States57 reviews
a fun place to work.
not enough hours, not enough hours worked,not enough worked

is a good place to work but just not enough hours love working for mr. handy man,needed more work.
Money first employees absolutely last
This place is run by a narcissist who will put you in danger for money. You are not valued as a person your only value is how much money can you make for the company and for how long.
Pros
Work is available
Cons
Worst boss ever. People quit management not their jobs.
Only get paid for time on the job.
Only get paid for time on the job, so if you have three stops like I did today. Started at first stop 8am finished last stop at 5pm and was only paid for 7 hours! Two hour gone on travel, waiting on another tech or customer. 2 hours a day times 5 days times a month and you end up 40 hours that you work for free!
Bad environment, steal out of your paycheck
Bosses are greedy. Watch your hours. They steal money from every tech’s paycheck. You’ll be working 10 hours on the job and only get paid 7. Tons of smoke and mirrors. Watch out for the co management from the wife who is not a nice person they put on a great fake front. High stress, low rewards for going above and beyond. Beware of this branch. 5 guys quit while I was there. Bad environment.
Good company to work for
One of the better company's to work with out there if your a carpenter. They treat you fair & pay well when the work is there. It does have downtime time of year like most company's in this industry, but management try's hard to keep you employed. I moved to another state, but I do miss them! Great group of coworkers, you will learn a lot.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Treats everyone like dirt
They have no respect for their customers or employees. They run their employees to the ground, overcharge their customers then slander their own employees in public if they get mad. I was a Senior tech and the manager called me to tell me to change my title on my resume since I didnt officially get promoted.
Have to ask for a raise
You were put to in the field on a very tight time frame or not enough of one to do what was sold to the client and left to clean up the owners promise. Most of the clients were mad by the end of a project or caught off guard by the high prices and the tech is left to stand there face to face and listen to the customers say how they are being ripped off.
poorly ran company
the management here is horrendous , and the work is all over the place. I was told i would get around 30 hours and it quickly turned into 15. Instead of big jobs i was sent to small drywall patch jobs and hanging curtains up. instead of a normal schedule i would get calls at 1pm randomly to go do a job after not hearing from them for days on end .
Poor Mgmt. Greedy Owner
I was given very little instructions in filling out paperwork, rode with their "house mouse" for a couple weeks who really wasn't a great teacher. Office mgr. is not very patient, plays favorites, power has definitely gone to her head. Owner just cares about you making him $, thought $105 an hour was a little expensive labor rate, upset customers when price was different than what was quoted over the phone
Great Company
Great people, leadership, communication, and clients. I learned a lot, increased my skillset, further developed existing skills, and passed on my knowledge to others. Would recommend.
Not a good place to work
There is really no substance to this particular company. Wages are very low for the positions. Paid by commission for only billed hours, no benefits, no accruals of pto. No getting ahead ever. You work 12-14 hour days luck if you get paid for 6 hours. To much down time not paid.
Pros
Cons
Many
Shady owner, sketchy customers!
Complicated payscale to hide the fact you won't be paid what's promised. You'll never get good hours. Owner is a micro managing control freak. They over charge like crazy so customer relations are usually tense and hostile. The owner lies about bids to under pay employees. NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK!
Pros
It's a pay check.
Cons
Everything else.
Inept manager leads to everything bad
After working over 2 years and never missing a day in this two room office the franchise owner reduced my hours worked and paid-against Illinois State Employment laws after I gave my notice to resign! When I told him that was against the law he said he would send it to his lawyer and nothing happened so after a week I had to call his lawyer as well as the Mr Handyman Regional supervisor in Ann Arbor before I was properly paid.

Also when I first started franchise owner and did not realize that hours worked over 40 per week require a payment of time-and-a-half which upset him at the time.

This franchise owner has never run a small company before and during my tenure it showed on a daily basis.

This franchise owner regularly sent new technicians out before being background-checked going against company policy and of course any common sense.

Franchise owner was not successful at properly training correct policy and procedures to new technicians which led to operational deficiencies that were never corrected leading to their dismissal.

Franchise owner never gave regular performance reviews to myself or service technicians especially when they were going through challenging times with procedure.

Consistent technician turnover. the three good technicians we had while I was there left on their own when they realized it was not a well-run organization.

Franchise owner would regularly arrive to the office as though he had just gotten out of bed very unfocused and on more than one occasion was snoring at his desk.
Pros
Unpaid hour lunches
Cons
Franchise owner not well versed in basic computer and cell phone operation
Loved my job and going to work everyday
Great boss and easy to get along with. Get to work and first thing check to see if any customers canceled for the day and check all emails. If any cancelations make sure Tech was advised and find work for them from schedule. Make sure Techs were on there way to work. Then start making phone calls from VM's left on phone and emails and through Service Titan and Home Depot and Home Advisor. Averaged 50 phone calls per day. Put orders in through Service Titan and ran two computers. Prices were a bit high so had to do some convencing at times. Hardest part of my job was when Techs called of and had to call customer to reschedule, most of the time I did'nt have any cancelations as pretty charming.
Not a career. Poor management. Dead end job
My experience started ok. My boss was nice but I soon found out that he had no experience owning a business or in construction whatsoever. This is terrible considering he's booking jobs over the phone, but I'm the one who had to deal with the disgruntled customers. They never set realistic time frames to complete jobs. When his office manager was gone he just told people what they wanted to hear and sent me to jobs a contractor should be doing.
Poorly manage
Work there 7 months made him $63,000. Had no paid holidays,sick time or benefits. Had a family emergency had to leave the state. Return and he fired me! Then lied about i stole from him! Great company over all! But the Pooler branch ran like a sweat shop
Pros
Have none
Cons
Fires two people a week. Turn over rate horrible
Great management and nice kitchen
I love the people at Mr. Handyman. The management is great and easy to work for. There's a mostly-full stocked kitchen, all they ask is to pitch in a couple dollars here and there. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, and they are always trying to better the company. The hardest part about my job was selling the service (I'm not a great salesperson), but any salesperson would definitely excel. I learned so many valuable lessons and skills within my time at Mr. Handyman.
Just ok
Was an ok company to work for, got a work van which was great for hauling tools but the pay is very under market value for a contractor. Take more money then they give.
Very great workplace
This is a very good environment to work in. I would recommend it to anyone I know.The manager is very understanding and they provide great training. Has good hours too.
Pros
Very good place to work
Cons
Very busy at times
Its a joke no income
This is a joke the pay is less than 9 dollars an hour at the end of the day, they tell you to do estimates and dont pay for your time and their hourly rate is so high it scares the majority of clients away. It is a waste of time from a former tech look another direction unless you can live on 350 a week
Pros
zero pros
Cons
no health care no income
Good place to work.
Mr. Handyman is a good place to work. The owners are very friendly and easy to work for. The pace is generally steady. The customers are generally glad to see us arrive to solve their problem.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mr. Handyman. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7