MSA Security Employee Reviews

Not bad
Canine Handler (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 20, 2019
I enjoyed my time there. The work environment was great. Crews were friendly and mid level management were accessible the majority of the time. Great opportunity out west compared to the east coast.
Decent job
K9 Handler (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2019
Awesome working with dog
Wish pay was a little better.
Get to work throughout NYC and see different landmarks and historic places throughout the city.
Stressful environment
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2019
Challenging and non rewarding place to work. Very difficult environment to work in with a vindictive management team and chairman. Very high turnover of staff and executives as a result of the management team.
Various work sites
Supervisor at Battery Maritime Building (Former Employee) –  Battery Maritime BuildingSeptember 26, 2019
Outdoors mostly assisting visitors with security checks before boarding the ferry to Governor's Island for an enjoyable day in the park. Patrolled areas for security checks.
Great company and coworkers
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 14, 2019
A great company to work for, if you are a self-starter, as a lot of the job site you are working by yourself. Upper management is receptive to suggestions and middle-management works with you to accommodate your schedule.
Short timer enjoying every moment thus far!
Security Consultant EPS (Current Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 12, 2019
MSA is a professional operation that maintains a stress free working environment, it is truly a great place to work.

I’ve seen some of the negative reviews and cannot believe what I see coming from some of my retired professional law enforcement and military brothers🥴

I am a short timer enjoying every moment thus far!
The company is a joke, poorly run, supervisors with 0 experience.
K9 Handler (Former Employee) –  NYCSeptember 4, 2019
Place is run by a bunch of clowns . Scheduling Dept dont know what is going on. Call you all hours of night / day begging for you to work more. Long days that work the dog way too much. Some sites are so busy ,dirty, loud its NOT a good place to work for you but more so for you K9 . If you have nothing, no life etc then this job is for you !!!
Pros
Not one thing
Cons
Just about everything
Extremely important the job we do to keep people safe
CCTV Operator (Current Employee) –  NYCAugust 10, 2019
from the moment we clock in the responsibility is on us to make sure every passenger on the terminal is to some extent safe and can make it home after a long day at work or of leisure time in the city.
Negative bad management
Edc handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2019
All show ,literally a dog and pony show. Company
Allows clients to dictate to its employees how to
Do there job,like putting edc canines on running
Vehicles.working long hours in poor conditions for
Dogs and handlers.lack of communication between
Employees and management. Crazy scheduling
Dept ... never know your sched more than a week ahead.
Poor Management
Explosive Detection Canine Handler (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2019
The only good thing is working with the your K9 partner. And some of your co-workers. Some of the “older” handlers that have been with the company, pretty much do what they want..i.e. sleep in their vehicles during shift, disappear on shift and at end of watch reappear, put their personal business out there which affects their performance. The manager and supervisor will do nothing, but write up the new guys and other handlers doing their job.

they’re doing things together.
Best Job Ever!
N/A (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 2, 2019
So proud to work for this Organization. I’m excited and proud of the Services we provide to our Communities. I am treated with respect and honesty. It can be busy; but that’s why we come to work and at the end of the day, we have bomb dogs! Management is straightforward and honest. Hiring Law Enforcement and Ex Military, Honor and Integrity is expected without being micromanaged.
A managerial dumpster fire
Explosive Detection K9 Handler (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2019
MSA is like a plane that's on fire that's being purposefully crashed into a mountain that's also on fire and the pilots (CEO and management) think that being on fire is good because their golden parachutes will save them while all the people who actually work and interact with the clients are burned to death.

Current and former employees are trying to save this company. Management is doing everything to stop them because their bonuses are based on profit. If they give raises and improve working conditions, their bonuses will shrink by a few percentage points.
Overworked and Underpaid
Explosive Detection Canine Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2019
The training you get is decent however if you perform your job correctly and by the book you get frowned upon and banned at multiple sites. They hold your dog against you and if the dog is taken away, you gotta drive 2hrs to retrieve your dog as well as figure out how to clean him after they mistreat him at the Kennel. Supervisors don't do their jobs of checking on the handlers at the site but instead they will go "out of sight, out of mind" and then falsify reports. The national average pay for an EDC handler is $40 an hour. MSA pays $26 an hour and is not enough to cover the cost of living in NYC. Scheduling is horrible. you have to confirm your days on an app and if you decline a day, you'll get a threatening call from the director and be forced to doing the day you dont want to work. As far as a steady site location, youre bounced around. They will not reimburse you for tolls and gas even after they tell you that you will. The monthly stipend of 450 dollars does not cover the cost of your pet. I had the pleasure of meeting great clients and working with other handlers at various locations. MSA as a whole needs to fix themselves from the top office on down and start treating the handlers with respect. at this point they have a terrible turnaround rate and in my short time of being at MSA they fired over 15 people over petty stuff.. anything as small as not working the weekend because a handler has a baby to supervisors who worked at the company for years being fired for nothing.....
Lots of fun people to work with.
K9 Handler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2019
Met a lot of good people working at different sites. Different locations. Opportunities to travel to other cities. opportunity to deploy overseas. Get to take your dog home every day and bond with them.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Managers had preferences.
MSA do NOT care about the dogs and handlers
edc (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
I worked 3 years at MSA and loved the job, working with my dog. After 3 years and working between 80 and 160 every 2 weeks, I was fired for bs reasons, because of a supervisor who did not like me. I work 30 days straight with no days off, and many weeks straight, and never complaint but MSA doesn't care, you are only good at your last 5 mns at MSA, they took my dog after 3 years, they don't care, if you love your dog and your job don't go there.... you are a tool for them, and the dogs $$ maker not an employee.
Pros
working with a dog
Cons
too many
great company
K9 Handler (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 22, 2018
I love working with my k9 partner. I took this job to escape TSA. I was promised Full time hours, but never got it. Only in the summer did I get 40 hours.
Pros
partner
Cons
lack of hours
Working for MSA
Executive Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  where ever they need me.December 20, 2018
I really like what I do when I'm working. Covering Multiple locations,and Securing Properties,Clients,Clients Residents.Working with a partner is very helpful Idea's are thrown around,keeping the Administration updated with current events.The hardest part of this job is going from location to location in the City TRAFFIC is Horrendous!!!.The enjoyable part of the job is making everyone happy & Comfortable.
Pros
if your working the pay is very good.
Cons
it's hard to get steady work.
An opportunity for young vets to get employed while in search for a long time career
Explosive Detection Canine Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2018
Looks good on a resume, working with the canine is fun. Although it should be used as a stepping stone to another more long term job. MSA like to use their military employees as work horses while giving their former police employees easy permanent locations early on after being hired
Pros
Canine Partner
Cons
No breaks, Unreasonable hours and raise, No union
Productive place to work, employees are receptive as it relates to employee safety in the work environment. Employees participate in emergency drills
Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 7, 2018
A typical work day involves meeting with uniform security as it relates to daily orders. Information is shared to ensure overall safety to all employees.Management plays a large role, allowing employees to attened safety meetings during the workday.The hardest part of the job is making sure information is being shared. I enjoy making a difference in the safety of others.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
commute
okay
CCTV Operator (Current Employee) –  whitehall ferryJuly 25, 2018
Not that bad, co workers act like highschoolers sometimes money is good can be a bit borring depending on which job you have but its alright all around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MSA Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?