MSC Industrial Supply Co. Employee Reviews

No work life balance. Lack of support. Inadequate pay based on performance.
Key Account Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2018
Company provided car. Benefits are sufficient. Flexibiliy in schedule. local management is strong, but seems to be a disconnect between local support and corporate upper management. Lack of supporting resources/skilled resources. No work life balance. Do not work here if you want a 40 hour a week job. Average week is 50-60 hours in order to accomplish tasks. Too many "check the box" activities that take away from proactive selling.
Pros
company provided car. 401K w/ company match. stock purchase plan
Cons
work life balance, supporting resources
Productive place
Packer, verifier (Former Employee) –  Jonestown, PAAugust 30, 2018
Productive workplace with a lot of hard working employees. Supervisors are very nice and considerate of your safety and well being. But breaks are short.
Pros
No uniforms
Cons
short breaks. not enough walk time
horrible management. non existant HR
VMI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Davidson, NCAugust 20, 2018
horrible management. never knew anything. Upper Management only cared about themselves and their paychecks, if you had problems they seemed to not care at all.
HR was unreachable no matter what day of the week. any problems i had with benifits i had to call a millions times and leave messages, or emails and was lucky if i ever even got a response
Pros
work hours werent bad
Cons
HR. Management
Fast paced Fun enviornment
Merchandise Selector (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVAugust 16, 2018
The job was fast and repetitive but the other associates made it fun. I enjoyed working there for the time being but it did take them forever to hire me.
Pros
free popsicles, gatorade, cold water, Ocassionally free soft served ice cream, Treats at meetings
Cons
short minimal breaks
Disappointing Company to work for
Senior Telesales Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 5, 2018
MSC stopped being innovative a long time ago and now has become an industry follower of the competition. Too many changes across board, leaving both the customer and associates left to figure it out.
Pros
Free parking
Work hard with little gratification
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 3, 2018
You had to work very hard and received very little recognition. Solid company, but minimal motivation. New secondary headquarters located in Davidson, NC. Majority of new hires for office positions are now out of the Davidson office.
It was very cut-throat there people would stab you in the back for looking at them crooked
Merchandise selector (Former Employee) –  Lickdale, PAAugust 2, 2018
MSC had good pay but management and supervisors were terrible... And they showed extreme favoritism and partiality towards a select few Associates... Okay I'll tell you more it sucked working there... Over a two month period Before I quit and went to Ace, MSC lost 18 Associates to other warehouses
Pros
Good pay, voluntary overtime, and no weekends
Cons
Managers and supervisors were severely lacking in people skills
Company downsizing
Credit/Collections/ A/R (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 25, 2018
MSC going thru culture changes. Relocating some out of state.located in Southfield . Some departments have flex time. They also have dress down days. Some departments also have a quarterly bonus.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Diversity
cycle counter (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GAJuly 24, 2018
Great company to work for. Starting pay was low but had great benefits. Have great paid vacations. Regret not still working there.
The building is kept very clean.
Pros
Free cook outs, benifits, coworkers
Cons
Hard to advance in the company
Horrible
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
The management is horrible. They hire their friends and move off them have any type of leadership skills. The associates are the most amazing people. They make the job bearable.
Pros
Associates
Cons
Progress made and Awesome place to work
Can't Say (Current Employee) –  Davidson, NCJune 29, 2018
I believe those who are generally negative will see the faults and not the benefits of the company. Its a family owned company who values their associates. The make strides to provide professional development, they have updated old systems, there are incentives, activities, committees. We are quite spoiled. Yes there are bonuses and great benefits. It would definitely depend on your department and manager. We make it what it is...the company has our best interest at hand! Cafe is a perk...they have awesome food for super super cheap prices, great staff too! Yes, free Starbucks and Seattle's Best and Tazo teas on every floor. Giveaways every week for concerts and sports events!
Pros
Management, growing, Cafe, Team Spirit
Cons
Traffic on 77
If you like stress, being micro-managed at every step, with hardly any advancement opportunity then this is the company for you.
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJune 19, 2018
If you want to work for a company that treats you like a pressure-cooker, with little to no room for advancement, then this is definitely your place. So many politics in the company, but yet they gloat about their positive culture............NEGATIVE!

And if you also like to be constantly micro-managed, this is also your place to work.

They are all hype, only care about Senior Management and not the associates in they way they claim to report!
MSC has really nice people working at the Southfield, MI location
Never worked before (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 14, 2018
I don't work at MSC, I have interview there twice for two different positions. The first position I applied for was a call center customer service I didn't work for that position. So they recommended me for another position that I interviewed for I didn't get that with either. But still I would recommend people work there. They seem to be all about their Associates the suppliers and the customers. And that seems to matter a lot to them. So if I ever get the chance to work there I will definitely take it. I'm going to keep trying!
Run from this company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 6, 2018
This company lack clear direction, They only want you to sell metalworking supplies, They say they want MRO business but do not know how to get it. If you like micro management and working in CRM ( saleforce) then you will be right at home here. Paper work is more important than sales results. Do not expect a raise and the commission is poor.
Pros
the pay check will not bounce
Cons
everything else
productive
ORDER FILLER/PICKER (Current Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILMay 19, 2018
challenging and productive environment. company provided free lunch almost monthly. fast paced. paid time off for vacation plus paid sick time........
Good place
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILMarch 29, 2018
Working overtime every day. Six day per week .
Walking all day. Good experience with others departments , getting the opportunity to learn different things.
Good Place to Work
Inside Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2018
MSC is overall a good place to work. Company paid training & small branch office environment. The pay & benefits is very good. I left due to unconventional things going on behind the scenes with my manager, however I'm sure this was an isoated incident. Too bad, it was a nice job. I would recommend.
Learning Experience
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 6, 2018
I've learned a lot here at MSC. I had no knowledge of tooling, machinery or sourcing. However through my time with MSC I've learned all about tools, drills, end mills, taps and inserts. Not to mention how to look up many vendors for many new items customer require in the manufacturing field.
Great culture to work in
Senior Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAFebruary 21, 2018
Company is a great place to work. Great environment. Benefits were great until affordable healthcare act kicked in, now only so so. Some areas are difficult to advance in. Bonuses are also so so.
Pros
Great culture and environment
Cons
Benefit and bonuses
A complete racket!
Current Associate (Former Employee) –  Davidson, NCFebruary 2, 2018
This company is making moves to get away from 'silos', to invest in their talent and grow retention rates. They are all talk and talk is cheap. If you are looking to grow with a business, I do not recommend MSC. If you are just interested in a paycheck, this may be more for you. MSC has a fumbling rewards program. I do not feel that my hard work is recognized.
Pros
Cafeteria on site
Cons
no growth- stagnant career opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MSC Industrial Supply Co.. Our community is ready to answer.