MSPCA-Angell Employee Reviews

Great place with tons of option for advancement
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 10, 2019
My department was fantastic. It was busy, but the teamwork was always on point and everyone was really willing to teach and help out. So many departments means many different options for learning and advancement. Work culture was also fantastic, and there's often free food.
Amazing Benefits
Emergency and Critical Care Technician (Former Employee) –  MSPCA-AngellDecember 17, 2018
The best benefits in the area, very generous. Compensation is fairly competitive. The Boston location is extremely busy and you learn a lot but the case load can affect your nursing care. West is busy but in a different way and can focus on patient care. Also a great place to learn and expand knowledge and skills. Doctors are wonderful.
Pros
Benefits, co-workers, the medicine performed
Cons
Poor manager at West, excessive case loads in Boston
I love this place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2018
Great place to volunteer. The management is organized and loving. The other volunteers were amazing. I volunteered as a dog walker and the dogs were sweet and disciplined. It’s just a wonderful place to volunteer if you’d like to give back. It was actually therapeutic for me. I loved going there with no pressure. So laid back and you hang out with dogs all day. What’s not too love!?
Very fast paced, high patient volume
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2018
I’ve enjoyed working at MSPCA but it has been stressful. High patient load means you’re running your butt off all day long sometimes without a break. They do try to get everyone to break. 30 min break allowed and hardly every get my other 30 minute break. The techs are smart and willing to educate if you’re willing to listen and learn. Generally nice staff. I struggle with the patient load because sometimes patients don’t get the full care and attention that they deserve. Definitely feel overworked and could use a few more hands in my department. Don’t feel I make nearly as much money as I should for all the things that I do.
Pros
Benefits, caring staff, ability to move up the ladder
Cons
Sometimes no break, high patient load, high turnover
Employer that cares about their employees.
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2018
I sadly am leaving for the west coast. I have been looking at positions there and am seeing that I will not have the same learning environment that I had here at Angell. It is a very fast pace here- But I find it exciting to see the wild variety of animals and cases.

Really great vets here that appreciate the assistants and techs. My co workers are compassionate -professional and really motivated. The president of MSPCA even came to my orientation to meet everyone and talk about his mission.

I really liked working at a non-profit and not a big chain animal hosp.
Pros
great benefits and extra reimbursements. lots of employee appreciation days
Great Learning Hospital
Emergency Certified Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 30, 2018
I have learned so much since starting work at MSPCA-Angell. It is a great learning hospital and the staff is wonderful. As with every hospital, management isn't perfect. Benefits are great but some of their policies are a bit ridiculous. Overall a great place to work.
Not "Mom & Pop", but better than corporate
Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2017
The perks of Angell are the numerous departments housed under one roof, and the opportunity to switch gears is always available. That being said, there is still the risk of working with a difficult doctor or a bad supervisor, but there are enough employees working here that you will find where you fit in and the people you like. Management and HR are pretty receptive to internal conflict resolution, but sometimes their hands are tied if it's a doctor who is being difficult and not receptive. The Waltham location is constantly understaffed, and as such has a revolving door and stressed out ER staff.
Pros
Constant free CE lunches, tech appreciation, plenty of OT opportunities
Cons
Departmentalized, rad techs take radiographs, surgery techs do all anesthetic cases, etc. Which could be a plus or minus
Great mission, terrible management
Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2015
The MSPCA Angell is an organization I am proud to be a part of. However, the management provides little motivation to work for the cause.
Benefits
Cons
Staff treated like a cog in the wheel
Challenging, hard working, fast paced
Surgical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 18, 2014
Angell is not longer a good fit for me and I feel as though it is time to move on and explore other options.
Overall very enjoyable place to work
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2013
Hard working caring co-workers and management. Many opportunities to learn new things, good training system.
Pros
plenty to learn, great team
Cons
very damanding, can get overwhelmimg at times
Working for a great cause and plenty of animals to enyoy!
Senior Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJuly 15, 2013
The MSPCA is a great organization. They have numerous locations in MA and have helped so many animals over the years find homes. The employees really do care about animals and it shows in the smiles of the doctors, nurses, and other staff when you finally get to see them go home.
Working in the billing office had its tough days but its a job that had to be done in order for the organization to keep the doors open to help other animals. When I was hired as a billing representative I quickly jumped in and learned the ropes and was quickly promoted to Senior Billing Rep to assume additional roles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MSPCA-Angell. Our community is ready to answer.

MSPCA-Angell Reviews by Location

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?