MTA Metro North Railroad Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2018
Over 700 miles of work area adds to the diversity of working at Metro North. It spans three states and carries over 130,000 people a day. 600+ trains are run every day.
Pros
Different work area almost every day
Cons
Long work hours.
Good people to work with
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Brewster, NYOctober 8, 2018
A good place to work with lots of advancement chances.The people I work with are Friendly and that always makes work alot easier.Working overnight took some time to get use to,this is the first time I have done this.I would like to get into Customer Service,I do have some Customer Service experience.I worked renting cars for Hertz.
Pros
Good Pension Plan
Great work life balance and collaborative environment
Financial Management Summer Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2018
Excellent place to work great location great managers. Overall has high job security and benefits. I had a great time learning about the processes of the company and what they have to offer. This is a government role so benefits are great and the work place is not stressful.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Lack of innovation
productive and advance to grow with the company
Coach /cleaner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 12, 2018
Productive with safety comes first ,advance to move on to another
position up . With a lots exam posted to change job tittle .Union always there to help employers .training section with osha.and good enviorment to work
Pros
overtime
Cons
mandatory work in emergency state situation
Not a job but a career.
Current employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2018
Working at Metro North affords many opportunities for advancement internally, you just need to approach it as such. Within a decade I've advanced from an entry level position to one of the more coveted non management positions. Management positions are not out of reach as long as you apply yourself. The pay and benefits are fantastic but there is always room for improvement, that's what our unions are for. The relationship between lower management and employees is relatively stable with many capable individuals making decisions, but some in those positions are questionable. Overall day to day operation is handled well by both sides. I have my bad days and good but overall I wouldn't hesitate to suggest pursuing a career here.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, good benefits, good pay, free rail travel.
Cons
Mixed bag management, tough hours.
Executive management very parental and controlling
Assistant Manager - Full Time (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2018
There are no decision rights. You need approval to type a sentence. Very old school management style. Not the most pleasant work atmosphere. Employee moral is pretty low.

The pay and benefits are great.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Well run company. Poor management choices
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
Old school, civil service environment. Poor management choices and amateurish approach to long-term plans. Free travel on the railroads is a nice perk.
Average Day
Assistant Manager - Social Media (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2018
Social Media job is not anywhere near as advertised. Mostly work with Customer Service department doing other department duties. The pay and benefits is great but you have to work holidays, weekends and in state of emergency even though all functions can be handled remotely.
Not the same company it used to be
CREW PLANNING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
It used to be a great place to work and unfortunately it has changed drastically. The management staff is horrendous and nepotism and cronyism is at an all time high.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
Low morale, nepotism, cronyism, sexism
not for everyone high strees but great reward
Rail Traffic Controller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
Working as a rail traffic controller is not easy at all. You need to be able to work under a high stress environment and be able to muti task. Metro North as a company pays very well for the work thats involved.
Awful for the average
Yard Master (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 12, 2018
If you're not into kissing you know what for promotions then don't apply here. Good hard honest workers get kept in their positions for the work they do, not thanked and promoted like they should be.
Left the company in 2000
Claim Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2018
I left Metro-North in 2000. It is a government agency, so there are no bonuses -- only yearly raises. Very little opportunity for advancement. Extremely archaic culture.
Working With Metro North Railroad
Word Processing Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2018
Working at MNR was a wonderful experience. The daily routine consisted of servicing the employee with renewing the access passes, answering questions regarding retirement forms and other various needs regarding their job. I enjoyed helping the employees with what was needed.
Pros
It was busy and the staff was a great team of people to work with.
Good Intern Expereience
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
Good experience, valuable lessons, enjoyed it. too much of a traditional company with rigid rules and culture that is hard to change. culture becomes stagnant.
Great work culture and excellent team.
Locomotive Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
Nice working environment where the team work is always present. Employees are always willing and able to perform their tasks complying with all the requirements, policies, rules and regulations of the company as of the Federal Railroad Administration, looking out for the safety of the passengers and company property.
It was a productive day
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
Work Monday through Friday 7 am to 330 pm
payroll
invoice
corrections
I love working here , everyone is so friendly and we work together .
If someone is out we cover for each other on our work
Great Place to Work
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 30, 2018
My overall experience at Metro-North was fantastic. Metro-North is a great place to work for and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the company. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and very nice to work with. If I ever needed help, they were more than willing to help. The workplace culture was very nice and I was more than comfortable in my day to day operations at Metro-North.
Pros
Great people, taught me a lot.
It's a pleasant job
Financial Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 30, 2018
Good place to work. New York State just taxes you an arm and a leg though. Not a lot of room for growth. You basically have to just apply for different positions the same as outsiders in order to move up.
Pros
Great management, Decent hours, decent OT, Quiet workplace
Cons
NYS drowns you in taxes. Not much room for growth
Very good place to work
Delay Operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
Enter all delays in a computer database after confirming the reason for the delay with the Chief Rail Traffic Controller.
I learned that all delays, regardless of reason are taken seriously by the management of the company, all delays are reported along with the reason and sent to all levels of management multiple times a day.
My manager are excellent and very supportive of their personnel of any issue that arises during the course of the day.
Management and my coworkers are supportive and helpful in the completion of the tasks at hand.
Weather and mechanical problems on the train lines quickly turn each day into a very difficult day, as delays mount quickly.
When the reason for each delay is similar, such as scheduled track work for example.
Pros
Working for and with professionals
Cons
Days with heavy delays it is difficult to keep up with the volume of delays.
Quality Assurance Consultant
Quality Assurance Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
Working with the mobile engineering team to create the Ticket Issuing Machine iPhone App in an Agile environment. Tested and verified MTA eTix application. Management was supportive and provided enough time to develop and test applications.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MTA Metro North Railroad. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about