MTA Metro North Railroad Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Awful for the average
Yard Master (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 12, 2018
If you're not into kissing you know what for promotions then don't apply here. Good hard honest workers get kept in their positions for the work they do, not thanked and promoted like they should be.
Left the company in 2000
Claim Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2018
I left Metro-North in 2000. It is a government agency, so there are no bonuses -- only yearly raises. Very little opportunity for advancement. Extremely archaic culture.
Good Intern Expereience
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
Good experience, valuable lessons, enjoyed it. too much of a traditional company with rigid rules and culture that is hard to change. culture becomes stagnant.
Great work culture and excellent team.
Locomotive Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
Nice working environment where the team work is always present. Employees are always willing and able to perform their tasks complying with all the requirements, policies, rules and regulations of the company as of the Federal Railroad Administration, looking out for the safety of the passengers and company property.
It was a productive day
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
Work Monday through Friday 7 am to 330 pm
payroll
invoice
corrections
I love working here , everyone is so friendly and we work together .
If someone is out we cover for each other on our work
Great Place to Work
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 30, 2018
My overall experience at Metro-North was fantastic. Metro-North is a great place to work for and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the company. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and very nice to work with. If I ever needed help, they were more than willing to help. The workplace culture was very nice and I was more than comfortable in my day to day operations at Metro-North.
Pros
Great people, taught me a lot.
It's a pleasant job
Financial Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 30, 2018
Good place to work. New York State just taxes you an arm and a leg though. Not a lot of room for growth. You basically have to just apply for different positions the same as outsiders in order to move up.
Pros
Great management, Decent hours, decent OT, Quiet workplace
Cons
NYS drowns you in taxes. Not much room for growth
Very good place to work
Delay Operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
Enter all delays in a computer database after confirming the reason for the delay with the Chief Rail Traffic Controller.
I learned that all delays, regardless of reason are taken seriously by the management of the company, all delays are reported along with the reason and sent to all levels of management multiple times a day.
My manager are excellent and very supportive of their personnel of any issue that arises during the course of the day.
Management and my coworkers are supportive and helpful in the completion of the tasks at hand.
Weather and mechanical problems on the train lines quickly turn each day into a very difficult day, as delays mount quickly.
When the reason for each delay is similar, such as scheduled track work for example.
Pros
Working for and with professionals
Cons
Days with heavy delays it is difficult to keep up with the volume of delays.
Quality Assurance Consultant
Quality Assurance Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
Working with the mobile engineering team to create the Ticket Issuing Machine iPhone App in an Agile environment. Tested and verified MTA eTix application. Management was supportive and provided enough time to develop and test applications.
I learned from my supervisors
Graduate Corporate Compliance Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2018
Excellent co-workers who taught me well about what their purpose at the company was. They we're very patient, open-minded, optimistic (even though the workload), teachers, friends and welcoming.

They would also comprehend if you screwed up and allow you to learn without feeling guilty. After all I was an intern.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
No benefits as intern
Productive department to work in .
Injury Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  420 Lexington Ave , 11th Floor , NY , NY 10170January 31, 2018
I enjoy my position at where I work . My position starts at 8:30 to 5 pm , Monday thru Friday . I have learned in my position to communicate effectively , and I have excellent customer service and management skills . I enjoy my workplace culture as all of my colleges are caring , willing to help if needed , and enjoyable to work with .
Pros
lunch
Cons
train delays
Good for work life balance, bad for promotions
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2017
Not a competitive environment, and it takes a long time for work to get done. It is an ideal place to work if you're looking for work-life balance. Also, there is a pension.
Metro North
Track Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2017
Within my time at Metro North Commuter Railroad I've learned that sometimes in life things aren't fair. That favoritism and a biased setting can be anywhere including the work place. I've also learned that I cant let that discourage me from being the best employee I can possibly be through all circumstances. It is an amazing job and enjoyed my time there to an extent and would definitely refer them to a friend with the warning that sometimes money isn't worth your self respect and health.
Waited too long to replace President
Deputy Chief, Training, Corporate Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2017
Limited resources for sufficient proactive training. New senior leadership on much better course.

Needs to adopt significant human factors training for rail operations, maintainers, supervisors and leadership.
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
Know your responsibility and get it done. You get in sit on your computer you have a certain amount of tasks to do for me it involved database and maintaining the database and developing forms using macros
Love metro north
TICKET SELLER (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 13, 2017
Metro North is a greaat company to work for, You wont get rich working there but once you get into the union you'll make a very coimfortable living and that combined with the retirement package and other benefits make this a wonderful job to have
Great company to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2017
A typical day at work ca be very busy. You have to be excellent at multitasking and have great communication skills.The workplace is very diverse and enlightening. Managers take pride in training new employees. The hardest part of the job is not being able to assist a customer with something. The most enjoyable is going above and beyond your duties as an employee.
Benefits
Cons
Recent job cuts
Great place
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2017
Highly recommend the MTA to anyone interested. As an intern they are very willing to work with you not only with work but with your schedule. Free trains is great for the commute and the pay is good as well. Only downside is that you have to give the 5% to the retirement fund and the intern project is a little more time consuming than necessary.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, The People
Cons
HAve to give to the retirement fund as an intern, interns get paid less when coming on to full time vs. someone from the outside, small pay increases when you advance
A five star company to work for when concerning benefits!
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 19, 2017
Great pay and benefits! the company considers the safety of all its employees through meetings and safety protection equipments! Their highest priority is the safety of its employees and customers.
was a very good place to work
Coach Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
was a very good place to work great wage and good chance of advancement, pros get paid every week chance of overtime coworkers helped you out there were no cons.