MultiCare Health System Employee Reviews

Loved to work here
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 13, 2019
Loved working with this company. My supervisor was amazing. Coworkers were easy to work with. Manager cared about their coworkers. Company is amazing.
My Point of View
Registered Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAJanuary 9, 2019
MultiCare is an excellent organization to work for. The system continuously adds clinics and hospitals to expand. This I think is good and bad. The good is expansion and the bad is spreading the capacity of the organization too thin financially.
Pros
Value
Cons
Holding onto workers.
Very clean and safe work environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WA Gig Harbor WA, Puyallup WAJanuary 2, 2019
When I worked for MultiCare I really enjoyed the fast past jobs such as in Orthopedics and I was able to help people but on a distant level as even some of the patients became very close to, they appreciated just a little bit of effort and kindness always went a long way. I also had wonderful co workers so that made for a nice work environment as well.
Pros
Free Lunch, made great friends
Cons
short breaks, locking out on time when work was incompleted.
Horrible Culture
Director (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 28, 2018
This company has a high turnover rate and a poor culture. Save yourself the trouble and look at real career opportunities at other local healthcare organizations who live their mission, vision and values.
Killing Machine
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MulticareDecember 23, 2018
Multicare Good Samaritian Hospital has a long history of killing patients. Do not have surgery here because you will not come out of it alive and if you do then you will not make it past the PACU, the nurses there will make sure of that.
Official response from MultiCare Health System
December 24, 2018

There is no factual basis for your claims. In reality, over 8,000 surgical cases are performed at Good Samaritan Hospital each year, with excellent outcomes. Those outcomes helped earn Good Samaritan a spot on the 2017-2018 U.S. News & World Report "Best Hospital" list for the state of Washington. Good Samaritan tied for 6th in the Seattle metro area and 8th in the state.

Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 12, 2018
Staff to patient ratios unsafe. Compensation quite low for market. Management drastically varies. Some managers are catty and cannot be trusted while others truly care. Administration doesn’t care about nurse staff concerns or unsafe ratios.
Good team to work with
MB Specialty Scheduler/Patient Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WADecember 7, 2018
Multicare is a good company to work for but unfortunately I feel that we don't get paid for holidays and we don't get paid enough for the job that we do on a daily basis.
Pros
team enviroment is good
Cons
no paid holidays, not enough pay
Official response from MultiCare Health System
December 24, 2018

MultiCare offers paid time off (PTO) which can be used for holidays, vacation or the first two days of an illness. Full-time and part-time employees begin accruing PTO during their first pay period. PTO balances can be carried over year to year and can be used for vacation, holidays or sick time. (There is also a separate bank of paid leave for extended illnesses.) Full-time hourly employees earn between 200 and 240 hours per year depending on their FTE and how long they have worked for MultiCare. That is equal to a minimum of 25 days per year for those on 8-hour schedules and 17 days a year for those on 12-hour schedules. Salaried employees earn at least 240 hours per year of PTO and long-term employees can earn up to 320 hours per year.

Regarding pay, we work to keep our pay rates at the average for our region. That means there will always be some employees who pay more and some that pay less. Ultimately, we want employees to work here not because we are the highest-paying employer but because they are committed to the important work we do.

Toxic environment. No loyalty. The good people have left
Physician Assistant-Certified (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 28, 2018
I worked there for 4 years and had excellent performance reviews and wonderful relationships with nurses, physicians, patients, OR techs, etc.
The combination of toxic management, jealousy, back stabbing, lies and no one standing up for what is good led to my involuntary termination. I loved my job for 3.75 years but the last 0.25 years took weeks and maybe years off my life. The culture is toxic. No one has your back because everyone knows that they may be next on the chopping block.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Toxic environment, no job security for anyone
Not a nice office to work in.
Lab Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 16, 2018
The job was easy, but very fast pace. Lead wanted newcomer to work exactly like the coworkers that have been there for 10 years. No warnings or feedback on work. Let go after 16 days! This is not a billing job that I’m use to doing for over 15 yrs, mainly paperwork and data entry. Experienced racists remarks among coworkers and leadership. Shocked and saddened about it. I did not belong there and I feel the lead noticed and let me go. Supervisor was even talked about. Gossip gossip gossip.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management and most co workers
Not a good place to work if you want to remain sane.
Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Puyallup, WANovember 14, 2018
To save money they like to hire Bachelor's level people for therapist positions that should require a master's degree. Then they don't provide them with adequate training or support to be successful in the position. They also like to blame therapists for last minute no shows and penalize them for not making their productivity standards. Therapist's have no control over client showing up for appointments and should not be reprimanded for it. Most of their client's are on Medicaid so their is no financial penalty for missed appointments. Many clients will repeatedly no show for appointments, have their cases closed for failure to return and then a short time later enroll again in therapy services. They need to come up with a better system for dealing with client no shows and measuring therapist's productivity. Therapist's are afraid to take vacations, call in sick because it effects their productivity.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Unrealistic productivity standards
Multicare is a great place to work
MEDICARE COLLECTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 12, 2018
I loved working at multicare. We all had our production goals to meet but it was a fun work atmosphere. There were always changes for advancement and and to take on extra work and learn new things.
Pros
Good pay and benefits plus a great working place
Cons
I did have a long commute
Toxic environment and inexperienceienced nurses and not enough physicians. The culture is one of fear the manager is fearful everyone us gossiping abo
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Covington, WANovember 11, 2018
Toxic environment by a paranoid inexperienceienced manager make a long day even longer. It's really to bad it's a beautiful new hospital but when you add paranoia by your manager , dangerous staffing and inexperienced nurses. They are currently having a union drive and Multicare management is definitely anti union so no protection at all.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Management, dangerous staffing, no union, poor pay.
Very innovative, quick pace
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 6, 2018
MultiCare is a great organization. I have a lot of respect for the administration at the hospital where I work. They are genuine and show respect for their employees.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, amazing co-workers
Very productive and great environment to work
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 29, 2018
I truly enjoy Multicare. It is a great company to grow with. The days are long in my position but it gives me a great work/life balance. They are very family oriented and will do what they can to give you a great balance.
high caseloads, poor upper management
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAOctober 28, 2018
Caseloads of at least 80-90 clients. High turnover. Management not supportive of staff, focused on productivity and client care suffers - long waits for appointments, losing therapist/client relationships.
collaborative workplace
Chemistry Processor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 24, 2018
MultiCare offered plenty of opportunities to grow and everyone worked together. A typical day was well prepared for, the management was always on top of things, but the hardest part of the job was communication. Sometimes communication between shifts didn't happen.
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 21, 2018
Has a good training program for new nurses. The work pace is always busy but support is available. I have learned an enormous amount at Tacoma General. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with and the patients I get to meet. The hardest part of the job is the physical demands and the commute.
Pros
People
Cons
physical demands
Overall great employees who are educated and passionate about their jobs
Tech (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 11, 2018
Extreme employee reduction when newer CEO was hired
Fewer employees with same or increased patient volumes
patient wait times increased and general quality of care is less due to less time available for each patient
Staff morale declined, incentives less obtainable, difficulty finding staff coverage for vacations or sick time
Difficult to find parking causing stress and late arrival to work
Was very Happy there.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 10, 2018
Did not really want to leave. Although the atmosphere at work was one family type environment. Night shift is always fun for all the potlucks the units have.
Culture of fear
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 11, 2018
Everyone is over worked and inadequately supported.

MultiCare inadequately funds current operations in favor of their rapid expansion plans

Top down management where employees are scared to speak up.

Top management leaders are rude and condescending and seemingly encouraged and rewarded by top leadership.

They do not live up to their values of respect, collaboration and excellence.

Turn over is extremely high and salaries low.
Pros
Cons
Disrespect and lack of collaboration

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MultiCare Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight